Best accurate rifle / scope combination under $2k

So I finally decided which rifle to get......took me long enough.

I was going to go with a Tikka T3. Less expensive but still very accurate out of the box. I then started looked for a Tikka T3 Varmint in .308 and figured out pretty quickly that Berretta does not import those.

Not very happy at all. So many reviews of the Tikka T3 Varmint, but no one actually says that you can't get them in the U.S. I could get the T3 Tac for double the cost, but that doesn't seem to be a good decision. I might as well get a Sako if I go that high.

Not very happy right now. I might still get the T3 Lite, but wanted a heavy barrel.
Here's a couple of good options.

http://www.remington.com/en/products/firearms/centerfire/model-700/model-700-varmint-sf.aspx
http://www.remington.com/en/products/firearms/centerfire/model-700/model-700-sps-varmint.aspx
http://www.remington.com/en/products/firearms/centerfire/model-700/model-700-sps-tactical.aspx

I originally looked at the Rem 700's that you list. They are nice rifles. The moment I pulled the Tikka action though I was sold. It is so smooth, I had to have one. :)

One of my local stores used to sell the 700 SPS Tacticals for $499 on special, when they would get a truckload of them in. I originally went there to get one, when I decided to get my 5R MilSpec .308 since they happened to have a new one on the shelf.....I'm a sucker for stainless and jeweled bolts, so I had to have the 5R instead. Best choice I ever made. Nothing wrong with the other SPS, but I would have kicked myself in the *** for letting another one of my dream guns go, when it was in my hands... You know what I mean?

The SPS Tacs shoot great, too, and with about $300 worth of smith work you can have it driving tacks. Plus, you'd have $1K to spend on your glass. Then you'd have a wrecking ball of a combo with an EGW base, and TPS TSR rings. :)

Just my opinion though.

Got my stock savage 116 in 6.5-284 shooting .25MOA at 200 now. 300 rounds down the tube and the rifle looks brand new, all over, inside and out.

Will be breaking in a brand new model 12 LRP in 260 Rem starting tonight. That rifle is little more money but it will still be under 2k when done. This rifle, with a 140 seated to the lands still fits the mag, and the bullet ogive is pushed to the base of the neck. The LRP is the target model and the trigger feels great. I bet this rifle is shooting bug holes before I have it broke in.

So that leads into the response. In a different post someone was discussing leupold custom scopes for 1000.00 with turrents etc. That puts rifle and scope and 1750 for me plus rings, base, and bipod. Just under 2 k for it all with awesome glass. We can vortex viper pst's here for $600. If I went that route 1500.00
Will have hands on field time with the viper next week. We'll see if the NF goes up for sale or not.

I originally looked at the Rem 700's that you list. They are nice rifles. The moment I pulled the Tikka action though I was sold. It is so smooth, I had to have one. :)

have you looked at the tikka 595 target model? master sporter? continental varminter??

No, I've only looked at the T3. I've not seen much online about the others.

I have seen some guns called Tikka 3+1, but I'm not really sure what those are.

This is 50% more than $2K, but it has turned out to be a real shooter, and the quality feel of a Manners or McMillan stock along with the solid feel of a Nightforce is well worth it. I have friends that shoot full custom's and this is 99% of what they have at 1/2 the price. It is for sure a gamble that a factory tube will shoot well no matter what stock you bed it in. I lucked out.

1. Weatherby Vangaurd S2 .300 Win Mag $460
2. Sell factory Weatherby Stock ($50)
3. Manners MCS-T $525
4. Glass Bedding - DIY - JB Weld $20
4. 20 MOA Warne Tactical Steel Scope Base $120
5. Used Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x56 HS ZS MOAR
Bought from Bob Beck at EOL $1,700
6. Nightforce Ultralight Low Rings $170
7. ACD $30

Good Luck!
Jason

Find you a Remington 700 5R .308 24" barrel model, and put a Vortex Viper PST FFP 6-24x50 on it.

Of Rem 700 5R .308 24", and a Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20x50.

For either option, use EGW HD aluminum bases, and TPS TSR HD aluminum rings.

I think you would be very happy with either setup to get you started into long-range shooting and hunting.

This is an excellent suggestion for you.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.