Opinions on Best .223 or 22-250 rifle under $600

deuce2

Using to shoot small to mid size game and using factory ammo.

Looking for overall best accuracy and reliablity with personal experiences out of the box.... THanks!

deuce: You'll probably read the word "Savage" a lot in replies, and I can't argue with that, although they aren't my cup of tea. In .223, you can probably find a C-Z 527 American for a little over your limit if you shop around, try www.budsgunshop.com. ; a Varmint model, or a 550 in .22-250 will be more. I also own a Remington SPSS (stainless action/jeweled bolt model of SPS Varmint sold only at Cabela's) in .22-250 that shoots well with factory ammo; think it wasn't over $550, maybe less on sale. One can add a better stock and/or trigger as funds allow. Also, a Howa might be worth loking at, although I've never owned one. FWIW: varmint rifles can sometimes be found at a discount this time of year. Good luck!

Last edited:
Yes, the Savage is very good, as is the CZ. Another is the Tikka. In general, those are the most accurate for under $600. But rifles differ in many ways. You pays yer bucks, and takes a chance.

I bought a .223 Savage Stevens 200 in the summer. Paid $325.00 for it. It shot a 3-shot group that measured 0.115" at 50 yds. I was shocked. Best bang for the bucks. Was breaking it in with Remington 55gr FMJ. Mounted a Bushnell 3200 10x40mm scope on top. What I like was trigger very crisp, barrel can be easily change and tigger can be upgraded (no accu-trigger). Probably will change trigger, barrel and stock in the future.
Also like the Howa 1500, heard good things about it. Was going to get stainless barrelled action in .308 to make tactical rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts