Best factory rifle accuracy under $1400US

Best factory rifle accuracy under $1400US

In my opinion there is no answer as it will be luck.

If top consistent accuracy is your goal and the budget is limited then save your dollars when buying the rifle so as you can fit a Tobler or Maddco barrel. Also, if you can't do it yourself then save some money for bedding and trigger.

For the amount of money you are takling about you can probably get Denis Tobler to supply a Rem 700 action and then fit a barrel and buy an HS Precision stock.

If you try and "buy" accuracy "out of the box" then you might be disappointed with the results. If I was limiting budget and accuracy that was better than acceptable was the goal I would rather buy a Howa or Wby Vnaguard plus a Tobler or Maddco barrel then buy a Sako.

Mike

This is what all the Canadian shooters are waiting to come in http://www.ozarkguns.com/rifles/tikka/tikka_t3_tactical.htm looks like a winner to me.
smile.gif

APB ,
All this talk about buying used and building a semi custom rifle is great but see how you go doing it for about $2000 Australian .
Here's how my Remington VSSF went
Used rifle $1400
Tobler rebarrel , true action etc. $ 950
Rifle Basix LV 1 trigger $ 300
Skim bed stock $ 60
Repair HS stock cracks $ 180
Total $2890
You won't buy a heavy barrelled Steyr here for much under $3000 .
I've owned a Sako , Remington 700 VSSF , Winchester model 70 Classic Featherweight and recently had a play with new Rugers and Savages bought by friends . Frankly , whilst sometimes the U.S. made rifles shoot well from the factory none of those discussed above are finished anything like a Sako eg.
- I had to rebarrel my Remington after 400 shots because the original barrel wouldn't shoot acceptably . The HS stock was cracked from new and had to be repaired .
- My Winchester model 70 7mm WSM bolt shroud was rusty when bought new . Rust coming from a casting flaw .The recoil pad was fitted at an angle and protruded about 3mm on one side of the stock .
- The Savage is apparently accurate but about to be restocked as the original plastic stock was flexible rubbish .Will never win any beauty pageants .
- The Ruger looks nice but trigger is heavy and not adjustable . Not much to choose from in the way of replacements . The action was rough as guts when cycled .
The best thing about Sakos (compared to other makes discussed here) is that Sako does their quality control at the factory instead of relying on the customer to fix or replace their stuff ups. They're built to a standard , not just a price . Their resale value reflects that . All steel trigger guard / floorplate too vs cast alloy rubbish .
A Sako laminated varmint will set you back about $2000 . You can have the single set trigger as an option for a little more .A good pillar / glass bedding job will cost you about $150 .
Talk to a few Sako owners and see how many you can find that have been disappointed .

[ 07-19-2004: Message edited by: Aussie ]

[ 07-19-2004: Message edited by: Aussie ]

I've no experience with the Savage rifles, can't comment on them but do hear a lot of good reports on accuracy from other shooters.

My best shooting factory rifle to date is a Sako TRGS, (out of box, zero mods.) Using 180 grn. 30 Cal. Accubonds I finally achieved that elusive "one holer" at 100 yards, with most groups under 1/2 ".
Considering the fact I'm sending them downrange @ 3520 fps with the 7.82 Warbird that has nearly 1000 rnds. through it, that is stellar performance,it's a tough combination to beat.

Rifle cost $850.00 U.S. several years ago.

204303.jpg

[ 07-19-2004: Message edited by: proman1 ]

The Tikka synthetic stainless in 300WSM looks mighty nice to me! From what I have seen and heard, there is no rifle whatsoever that can compete for the cost, and if you can get a sako, I'm sure you can get a tikka. Here in the U.S., the Tikka stainless/synthetic is $538, and I personally am tempted in the 300WSM (new, hard to get a hold of. All the other calibers are pretty easy to find/order in).

The Tikka Varmint model is available in Canada in 300WSM and 270WSM through Stoeger Canada. Awesome looking little rig, my 300WSM T3 Lite heats up pretty fast at the range I think the slightly heavier barreled T3 Varmint might be much better in this department.
smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR> Tikka T3 VARMINT STAINLESS is probably the most affordable if you are looking for a quality. Your local dealer should have it under A$1,300.
Cheers <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

T3shooter,

on the Ozarc sight they didn't list anything but the .308 and 22-250 available for the varminter, but looking at the tikka home page, it looks as if they are coming out with the 300 WSM, 270 WSM, and others. I believe I may go with that over the lighter T3.

[ 07-20-2004: Message edited by: shilen30 ]

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts