Best factory .22-250 rifle out of the box

Nick Roehl

Hey guys,

I am looking at buying a new .22-250 for yotes. I was thinking a Savage. I know the model 12 is supposed to be quite accurate, but what about their other models 10 and 11? Also any other rifles I should be looking at here? I don't want the break the bank initially looking at spending around $1200 or so to start.

Thanks

I own a model 12 BVSS in 22-250 and i love it. I dont think you can go wrong with it. Early on i had some ejection problems with it but replaced the ejector pin and spring and it works like new. Ive' had mine almost 5 years and it is my go to coyote killer.

Ridge

Forgot to mention the only reason for the ejection problems is load development might have gotten a touch warm on a chilly morning, but it was an easy fix.

that 10 predator model is kind of a neat blend of sporter with a little heavier barrel on it.

Savage 22-250's also have a 12 twist I think, where most other factory barrels are 14.

The 12 should allow you to use up to 60 grain bullets, and or the 53 grain v-max.

For a pack-around rifle I'd say consider the Thompson Center Venture, great handling, inexpensive, deadly accurate rifle. I prefer the autoloading black guns, but alot of my friends shoot that T/C and love it!

I run a T/C Venture Predator in 2250 with a 22" barrel. It shoots sub-moa at 100 yds. I topped it off with a Nikon coyote special but I think a better reticle than the predator BDC is needed for such accuracy. It is an awesome gun for the money and scope combo for about 1000 all together. Only fired 20 rounds of hornady 55 grain v max and have to send the rifle back to the factory though because of some defect in which it may fire a round involuntarily. I have never experienced this or heard of it however once it is returned I'm sure it will still shoot fine. This little problem has not steered me away from an awesome shooting platform in the venture.
I will have to say that my AR makes for fast follow ups.

I personally like cz. You may not like them because they aren't Amercian made but they sure are a solid precision rifle. The savage is also. It is all up to preference. If you are going to hand load I would reccommend staying around 50grn bullet weight if you have a 1 in 14 twist.

To what MildBill was saying- you can get the Savage in a 14 twist down to a 9". I had a Savage 110 and it out shot me regularly. Love the accuracy produced by these rifles, never cared for the sloppy action though. Just didn't feel like a solid gun but that's about the biggest nit-pick I had with it.

If you can get by with a 50 gr bullet in the winter, I've been pushing a 60 gr bullet out of a 14 twist in my Tikka T3 on warm days and it's shooting em good enough for a coyote. The 52 gr Bergers are staying under 1/4 MOA out to 350 when it's cold, haven't grouped it farther than that, but if you're minds made up on a Savage, I'd say you can't go wrong. Accuracy is outstanding, to say the least, for an out of the box rifle at that price. If a 14" twist is alright, I wouldn't sell my Tikka but you might be able to find one somewhere else that would work great for you.

Picked up a Savage Predator in 22-250 a while back. Shoots just about everything I've tried under .5MOA. The cheap $8/box KMart crap, 55gr Rem SP will shoot into one hole. I have never even gotten around to hand loading for it. I like the 22" heavy barrel, Accutrigger, 1:9 twist.

I have a Model 12 VLP and ordered it with a 1 in 9" twist. It groups 69gr SMKs and 55gr Ballistic Silvertips, BlitzKings, and Vmaxes extremely well. Just sold a 12FV that loved anything 50gr and up to 69gr SMKs. My brother had a Model 16 that grouped very nice. I haven't fired any of the 10 or 11 series but lots of folks are loving their Model 10 Predators.

For a 12 twist 22-250 w/ heavy barrell I don't think you can beat a 12FV $539 at gunbroker. 8.75 lbs.

For a 9 twist longer reaching 22-250 I don't think you can beat a 12 VLP DBM for $809, also gunbroker. 10 lbs.

These are very accurate rifles and I've yet to decide between the two.

Do plenty of reseach on these and others b4 you decide.

Ive got the Remington VSSF 22-250. I wouldn't get rid of it for anything it is 1 of my 2 favorite rifles. I consistently shoot ground squirels at 450 with it all summer long. It really likes the 55 smk's. Im looking for a new squirel area that I can shoot farther. Good luck with your decission.

I have a Winchester Model 70 Coyote light 22-250. My best groups with 55 grain blitzkings is .279 at 100 yards. I have been impressed with it.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.