Best .22-250 bullets for minimum pelt damage

jeremy403

Hi there, just purchased a rem 700 vls .22-250 heavy barrel 14 in 1 twist planning on getting some coyotes but wanting to save the pelts. What bullets would you guys recomend for minimum pelt damage and still retain good accuracy.

I have the same rifle and the 55 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips have been great on all the coyotes I've shot. This year I'm trying out the 50 grain Hornady V Max to see how it will perform.

If solids are legal in your state they would be your best choice. Don't be fooled, they kill just as fast as a HP without the damage. Just stay away from the large bones.

I've had real good luck with Hornady's 50gr VMax. I've only had one out of the last 13 coyotes I shot that had any serious pelt damage and that was because I hit the neck directly and it caused massive damage. Most of the time there is either no exit or a small exit wound the size of a quarter or smaller.

We tore up a lot of coyotes with the .22-250 until I tried the 60 grain V-max. It's worked great on the ones we've shot with it but it's only been seven coyotes or so. Here's a link to an article I wrote on Fur Loads. It will give you my take on the subject. Fur Loads Good luck!

Yes Tim, excellent article. I have a situation where when I'm calling, I may call in a red fox or a lynx, or coyote, wolverine or a pack of wolves. What ever I shoot it has to be a compromise. At the moment I use the 223 Rem. With 53 gr TSX I'm thinking the 62 gr TSX
. I also use 55gr fmjbt. I'm as likley to call in a fox as anything. Don't want to ruin a fur. I have a friend that sews fur and a stitched up pelt is just not as good for a garmet that has to keep someone.e warm for 4-5 month a year.
If Ruger made 22-250 s with a 7-8" twist that would be the ideal fur rifle for me 70 gr TSX for everything up to caribou.

I read Tim's article. It was great.

However, I use 40gr vmax in my 250 and it works great. Shot placement is key. Don't hit em in the shoulder, don't hit em in the guts. Right behind the shoulder. Works for me anyways.

I'm pushing them hard. 4250fps. And I haven't had any pass through on coyote or badger. One red fox at around 300yds passed through but it was a dime size exit.

I use a 50 grain sierra blitz king, and I have no problems with huge gaping holes. I have to look close where the bullet exited after the kill, but that being said, does not always happen, depends where you hit the coyote.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.