berger loading data?

MudRunner...

Post it Notes also fit quite handily in the lids of 50 round ammo boxes (like Frankfort Arsenal boxes. Thats how I load ladder and keep track of what I did/do and everything stays in the ammo box until I perfect the load, then the topmost sheet goes in the manual on the corresponding page and the load data gets transferred to a data sticky on the lid.

MudRunner...

Post it Notes also fit quite handily in the lids of 50 round ammo boxes (like Frankfort Arsenal boxes. Thats how I load ladder and keep track of what I did/do and everything stays in the ammo box until I perfect the load, then the topmost sheet goes in the manual on the corresponding page and the load data gets transferred to a data sticky on the lid.

I've been doing this exact thing for years, as well. Great minds think alike. :D

I have been looking around the net for the powder weights for the bullets i bought, with out luck. I bought the burger 308 168gr target vld. i just cant find any info on them.

I have the Berger manual. What cartridge and all that and I'll post it a pic of the page. That bullet can be used in a ton of cartridges.

I have the Berger manual. What cartridge and all that and I'll post it a pic of the page. That bullet can be used in a ton of cartridges.
Guys,
All great replies! Using someone elses load is is many times a recipe for complete disaster. Having up to date manuals are definitely the way to go. Please keep in mind that the loads we list are based on the cartridge overall length (COAL) listed on the first page under the cartridge heading. I always suggest that two articles on our website should be read also. Erics "VLDs-making them shoot" which can be found under the INFORMATION TAB in TECH TALK in the drop down and Bryans two part article on "How COAL and CBTO affects powder capacity and pressure " found in the BLOG CATEGORIES under EXTERNAL BALLISTICS. Also , because of the length of our VLD bullets. The loaded round MAY not fit or cycle through the magazine and the rifle has to be used as a single shot. And finally, PLEASE DO ALL SEATING DEPTH TESTING AT THE LOWEST POWDER CHARGE LISTED FOR THE BULLET/POWDER/CARTRIDGE COMBINATION BEING TESTED. Once the seating depth accuracy node is found. Work the load back up slowly checking for pressure signs and accuracy as you increase the powder charge. If the shooter does this he or she should be able to find an accurate load and not get themselves into trouble. And we don't want to leave out "change only one thing at a time and test" , Keep a good, accurate reloading log book" and "Velocity is nice but accuracy is king. The rifle will tell you on the target what it likes". Start with this , get the basics down ,THEN start getting more "exotic" with your reloading and load development if you want.
Hope this helps!

More like a platitude.

"using" could mean anything. I make note of other people's load data. IMO only a complete moron would follow another person's load data without question.

I appreciate that manufacturers such as Berger need to be responsive to today's Tort/legal environment though. The last I peaked at Berger's data for the 215 Hybrid it had at least 10 different powders listed as alternatives. It would be quite costly to experiment with each of them. As it happens, I used the experiences of others to narrow it down to H1000.

Heck, I even decided to try the 215 based to a large extent on successes I've read on the internet. There are a s*&t pile of bullets in 30 Caliber. Absent internet research I could have tried any of them.

So my assumption is that barefoot56 meant is using someone else's load data without deference to other data sources is a BAD IDEA. I agree.

More like a platitude.

"using" could mean anything. I make note of other people's load data. IMO only a complete moron would follow another person's load data without question.

I appreciate that manufacturers such as Berger need to be responsive to today's Tort/legal environment though. The last I peaked at Berger's data for the 215 Hybrid it had at least 10 different powders listed as alternatives. It would be quite costly to experiment with each of them. As it happens, I used the experiences of others to narrow it down to H1000.

Heck, I even decided to try the 215 based to a large extent on successes I've read on the internet. There are a s*&t pile of bullets in 30 Caliber. Absent internet research I could have tried any of them.

So my assumption is that barefoot56 meant is using someone else's load data without deference to other data sources is a BAD IDEA. I agree.
Jaxdialation,
Actually "using" is what I meant. Some new reloaders want to cut to the chase and not learn proper reloading or testing skills and they read a post or talk to a buddy and just jump right in. I had an experience where a guys buddy gave him a hard time for using one tenth of grain less powder than he was ( they both had "identical" Rock River ARs and were both using the same lot of Reloader 15 and same weight, type, and manufacturer bullets). He bumped his load up and immediately began experiencing blown primers. I was told by him at a match while another guy and I were trying to get his locked up AR apart to get it functioning again for him that it couldn't be the tenth grain difference. It had to be something else. IMHO we all need to watch when we are posting loads. You never know who is looking. I must say it ten times a day " we dont list "pet" or "accuracy" loads due to differences from rifle to rifle. You have to test. Here's how and here's where to find the articles you can reference and keep for future reference. With whats been going on the last 7 years there are a huge number of new shooters coming on line. We all need to be respectful and remember we all started at zero once too. Shooting is a social function lets keep the newbies in the fold and grow our sport(s) . I will now get off my soapbox and yield the floor

Fair enough Phil. You have way more experience than I, particularly in the area of "stupid reloading tricks" the public at large engages in. I hope I'm not near any of those guys at the range!

Jaxdialation,
Actually "using" is what I meant. Some new reloaders want to cut to the chase and not learn proper reloading or testing skills and they read a post or talk to a buddy and just jump right in. I had an experience where a guys buddy gave him a hard time for using one tenth of grain less powder than he was ( they both had "identical" Rock River ARs and were both using the same lot of Reloader 15 and same weight, type, and manufacturer bullets). He bumped his load up and immediately began experiencing blown primers. I was told by him at a match while another guy and I were trying to get his locked up AR apart to get it functioning again for him that it couldn't be the tenth grain difference. It had to be something else. IMHO we all need to watch when we are posting loads. You never know who is looking. I must say it ten times a day " we dont list "pet" or "accuracy" loads due to differences from rifle to rifle. You have to test. Here's how and here's where to find the articles you can reference and keep for future reference. With whats been going on the last 7 years there are a huge number of new shooters coming on line. We all need to be respectful and remember we all started at zero once too. Shooting is a social function lets keep the newbies in the fold and grow our sport(s) . I will now get off my soapbox and yield the floor

That's why I was offering to post a pic of the actual page from bergers reloading manual. Not pet loads. But he never told me what cartridge it was so I can't help any further

That's why I was offering to post a pic of the actual page from bergers reloading manual. Not pet loads. But he never told me what cartridge it was so I can't help any further
ShootnMathews,
I understand sir. That would probably be the best way to help someone with load data for our bullets. But that is really just the start of the process. Now they need to know about and how to do seating depth testing and load testing (Especially with our VLD bullets) and a few other twists that can occur due to the length of these bullets. The CLASSIC HUNTER BULLETS, since they are so tolerant of jump and designed to work at standard magazine lengths are the easiest to load tune for so the load data is basically all they need. VLD HUNTING, ELITE HUNTER and the new HUNTING HYBRIDS like the EOL bullets also MAY have the issue of magazine fit after seating depth testing also because of their length. These any a few other issues can really throw a new reloader for a loop so more information must be given than just the load range etc. Between us we can get a new reloader on the right road.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.