Loading Data

Slopeshunter

Hey Everyone,

Two part question.

Part 1: When you do up handloads, what data to you track about them (in a notebook, spreadsheet):
- type of bullet
- type/lot of powder
- grains of powder
- primer type
- seating depth
- do you track how many times you've reloaded each brass?

Part 2: When you take those loads out to the range, what data do you track?
- date
- temperature
- wind
- muzzle velocity from chrono
- keep target for reference

What stuff am I missing?
Thanks everyone.

Part 1 - Everything listed including X fired and when cases were trimmed or FL resized.

Part 2 - I record number of shots in group, group size,distance (normally 200yds) velocity and SD. Other than that, I indicate wind if there was enough to affect group size.

[ QUOTE ]
Everything listed including X fired and when cases were trimmed or FL resized

[/ QUOTE ]

So given this, do you number your cases so that you know which is which?

To keep things seperated, I dump them into different plastic Folgers coffee cans that have avery stickers on them that say something like "300 WSM-Norma FIII" and "300 WSM-Norma FIIII"

Then once I load, I'll have a note in the load box on a sticker noting bullet, base-ogive, cartridge OAL with comparator, powder, grains, primer, brass weight set, FIII

This stuff then gets transferred near the group on the target, as does any condition information and MOA for yardage info. Then the target group gets cut out and eventually taped to an 8.5x11 backer beside other similar tests, and slid into a page protector in a book.

When I go to dump the empties into the coffe can I look at the F number in the box and put them into the next one.

Another thing I do is always use the same case for my first fouler shot. On its side are sharpie hash marks noting how many times it has been fired. It is my benchmark of how many firings I should get out of my brass. Even though I may have 100 cases, that one gets shot with each set of 18-20 during testing. Twice through the brass and I roughly know how many firings to expect out of the brass. I religiously measure thinning near the base, and note the tightness of the primer pocket.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.