Berger Bullets what wieght

fetch

So I'm sort of a newb.

I have a rem 700 sps varmint with 1 in 12 twist. I have read and been told that I should NOT shoot anything heavier than 168gr bullet.

I have been researching hunting bullet and I noticed on bergers site that they recommend shooting a 185gr bullet. This goes against what info I have.

Here's the link
Home About Us Contact UsCompany

What weight should I be shooting?

I was told that 10 would stabilize nearly any 30 cal bullet. I would assume, based on that, you should be ok to shoot 180's with a 12.

Lilja barrels website lists a 12 as acceptable for 180's also.

So I'm sort of a newb.

I have a rem 700 sps varmint with 1 in 12 twist. I have read and been told that I should NOT shoot anything heavier than 168gr bullet.

I have been researching hunting bullet and I noticed on bergers site that they recommend shooting a 185gr bullet. This goes against what info I have.

Here's the link
Home About Us Contact UsCompany

What weight should I be shooting?

My Rem. 700 Tac. 20 has 1:12 twist and absolutely loves the Berger 175 VLD's. I am running them long at 2.892 COAL with 42 gr. IMR 8208 out of Win. or Fed. cases , doesn't matter. .5" five shot groups average. I tried Varget but groups were not as good. All powder charges of IMR 8208 netted good groups but 42 grs. seemed to have the most consistancy. Oh Fed. Gold Medal Match 175's also netted very good groups but cost more than handloads.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.