I have only shot 15 Elks all kills one shot all have been shot with 6.5
140 ga. to 160 ga. bullets, 14 of them drop on the spot or very few
steps on 1 ran about 90 yards. It's all about bullet placement if it's
15 mph wind I will not take the shot. The only reason I'm wanting
a heaver bullet is to buck the wind and a little harder hit. I'm shooting
my 160 gr. at 3065 fps. at that speed the bullet hit him before he hears
the sound. When I built this rifle I went to 7.5 twist and as so far it has
shot great. This rifle free bore is .233 and I'm shooting it at .025 off the
lance. My rifle is a 6.5/300 Norma Imp. I just call it a 26 Nosler.

Good on you for not taking a shot at 15 mph + winds, that's an intelligent move! To what ranges are you shooting your elk at on a consistent basis? Are you hunting guided or on your own and public or private. 15 elk is a good amount of elk easting:)

I think you meant .30 cal😉
The big boy club doesn't need me
Good on you for not taking a shot at 15 mph + winds, that's an intelligent move! To what ranges are you shooting your elk at on a consistent basis? Are you hunting guided or on your own and public or private. 15 elk is a good amount of elk easting:)
I'm good to 650 yards last year cow was 473 yards, I been hunting public and private but it's been 10 years since I hunted private got sold. I'm 70 years old and been hunting 30 years in Colorado, I'm done going to the mountain never found a bull good enough to spend the money to hang on the wall. I told my brother all I'm going to do is go to the flat land and hunt Mule Deer and Prong Horn.

When I was looking around for an elk outfitter, I had the opportunity to speak to many guides and outfitters. The question of what cartridge they recommend would frequently come up. The most frequent answer to that question was, any 30cal magnum rifle. I used a 30Nosler on my last bull. The 181HH bullet made rather short work of the task.

Yes, I'm sure many accomplished shooters/hunters on LRH have used smaller cartridges successfully, but that doesn't change the opinion of the multitude of people who I spoke to that guide for elk for a living.

Us enough gun and shoot straight.

VH---keep in mind that the vast majority of guides of any kind that I know are incredibly unsavvy when it comes to guns, bullets and ballistics!
Keep in mind they are also usually dealing with the average hunter who is possibly a below average shot. They'd rather be tracking a wounded animal with a .30 magnum wound than a 6.5

What powder are you running if don't mind me asking? I just got a 264 WM built with same twist and barrel length. Was going to try 8133 with 156 gr but looking for other ideas. Not much data with 264 and larger bullets!
I tried a few different powders using resized 7mmRem Mag ADG brass, Federal LRM primers, 3.517" coal. I worked up to all of these charges, but should get you in the ballpark with your shorter barrel.
59 grains of 7828ssc = 2997 fps, Sd 5, ES 11fps, half moa. Very mild load, no pressure signs.
74.9 grains US869 = 3087 fps, Sd 8, ES 15 fps, one moa.
65.0 grains Ramshot Magnum = 2940fps Sd 12 ES 23 fps, poor accuracy. I gave up on this powder but didn't write down why.
72.8 grains 24n41 = I don't want to say, it was fast, but poor SD/ES, poor accuracy, and mild bolt lift. I didn't blow my face off, may be worth exploring if you're braver than me.

I tried a few different powders using resized 7mmRem Mag ADG brass, Federal LRM primers, 3.517" coal. I worked up to all of these charges, but should get you in the ballpark with your shorter barrel.
59 grains of 7828ssc = 2997 fps, Sd 5, ES 11fps, half moa. Very mild load, no pressure signs.
74.9 grains US869 = 3087 fps, Sd 8, ES 15 fps, one moa.
65.0 grains Ramshot Magnum = 2940fps Sd 12 ES 23 fps, poor accuracy. I gave up on this powder but didn't write down why.
72.8 grains 24n41 = I don't want to say, it was fast, but poor SD/ES, poor accuracy, and mild bolt lift. I didn't blow my face off, may be worth exploring if you're braver than me.
Thank you! Will give the 7828ssc a try. Was going to try it anyway and that will give me a range to play with