sporter wieght .338 RUM and 250 grain bullets?

angus-5024

So Ive been shooting the 300grn SMK from my .338 RUM for about 2 years, with a brake. Ive been doing more and more backpacking, and more of my hunting partners are complaining about muzzle blast so i was going to have the brake capped and move down to 250 grn bullets. Some will say that is alot of recoil for a LR rifle, but Ive shot them before and was fine with it... the 300 grainers are a little bit to much without the brake.

Problem is, Im aweful used to having high B.C bullets and the wind bucking capabilities that they offer. So whats the best high b.c hunting bullet in the .338 cal? I already tried to find some Cutting Edge bullets, but I cant get them delivered in Canada. The accubond and LRX (265) have .575... which to me isnt that much better than alot of the 225's.

SO what is everybody else running. The only thing that Ive shot are the 250grn GK.

A lot of LR hunters like goodgrouper used to use the 225 grain Nosler accubond with its .550 BC, so that would be one of my top choices, also Midway stocks the 225 grain, 252, and 260 CE bullets so you might be able to get them from there?

Good Luck!

Bergers 250 grain .681bc is suppose to be out altho they seem to have spotty availability even in the states. I can't bring myself to down size from the 300 grainers in my 338edge but was thinking about a 338 win without a brake to run 250s as an alternative option. My elk crew consists of three of us, and two of us use brakes now so we are all wearing game ears in case someone goes loud suddenly. Spendy but they counter the potential problems of hunting with a brake.

Berger offers the 250gr otm bullet that has a b.c of .682. They are also coming out with a hunting version of this bullet. That's as good as it gets in that weight of bullet made of copper/lead. If the new hunting version shoots good in my rifle, that's what I'll be switching to.

i have a LR carry gun chambered in 338/300ultra. i like the 225 ttsx. don't know what the BC is, don't care. it's accurate to 1200, probably more. havn't shot it past that. i think we get caught up in high BC numbers too often when the consistancy of BC is more important. the plastic tipped bullets are the most consistent BC bullets.

I have been shooting the Berger 250 grain Elite Hunting Hybrids for a bit now, and having great results. .682 B.C.

We have a order of them coming in to our online store real soon. If you decide to go that way you can check back with us anytime.

thanks for all the replies guys! I went fly fishing for the afternoon and come back and have a page of replies, I guess that everyone is waiting for hunting season in ernest and taking some of the pressure off by checking out the hunting forums. :D

barnesuser,
I have some loads using the 225 grain SST and TTSX that are both very good, Im just looking for a bullet with a little better S.D and B.C.
I can get stuff from Midway, its just alot of hassle and in the case of the cutting edge bullets I would be paying a ton for shipping on top of already very pricy bullet.

D.I.D/ Franklin,
I would be pumped to get my hands on a 250 grain with that kind of B.C, problem is that, at least in the case of the 300grn OTM, It took a year from the time they were available in the States to when I could get my hands on them.

davewilson,
I have also found that the TTSX are very accurate and consistant, I was just looking for a heavier bullet for better penetration and B.C. I do know what you wat you mean with everyone being hung up on B.C, and I agree with you, but after shooting the 300's for two years its hard to shoot a bullet that cant buck the wind in the same ballpark.

Bob Beck,
I look forward to getting my hands on some of the 250's, they sound great. Do you ship to Canada??? I would order some when they're available if you do.

Angus-5024

I am headed to Canada tomorrow on a Caribou hunt! I have never been on a Caribou hunt yet and am so excited I cannot even see straight right now. To top it off, I have another trip planned with a great friend and EOL Rifle customer to come up again in September to hunt Elk and Whitetail. This is going to be a great fall for me, being able to come up and film some shows in Canada to connect with some of our Wild TV viewers.

On the bullets. As soon as we get them in stock, which may even be when I return from this trip, lets talk on the phone and get it squared away. We can get them to you for sure.

Take care for now, lets talk soon.

Bob Beck,
Sounds good! I look forward to hearing about your hunt. Where are you going for Caribou? Out east (Newfoundland) or North (Yukon/NWT)?
I was just hiking in the Monashee's here in B.C and came across some woodland/mountain caribou sign, but never did see one. They sure live in some thick country, totally opposite of the tundra subspecies.

Going to Nunavut, for Barren Ground Caribou! We are traveling today and some of tomorrow, then begin the hunt on Monday. Cannot wait!

Will be back in touch when we return. Take care.

Yeah, Ive run the 225 TTSX, 225 SST and the 210 TTSX and still cant get anything to meet my expectations. Like I said, a little spoiled with the SMKs. I even ran the 250 SGK a long time ago.

I guess I have "tinkeritis". I cant leave anything alone... even if its perfect. I can say that I've never lost an animal because I was single loading or had the brake. This year Im still gonna run the 300's until I get something tuned up with the 250s, If my gun even likes them.

Good hunting partners are hard to come by... I know because I've had my fair share of bad ones.:D

I guess I have "tinkeritis". I cant leave anything alone"
I am the opposite. My 338 shoots so good and I did so much to verify it all the way out that I AINT MESSING WITH NOTHIN till the barrel goes south. I bought a bunch of 2nd gen 300 grain bergers and I can't bring myself to even work up a new load because the smk does so well. The first gen bergers did better than the smk but I don't think I am going to worry about the difference and I'm thinking of starting another 338edge rifle just to shoot those bergers threw.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.