Berger .30 210gr hunting vld vs sierra match king 210gr

MATCH bullets are not hunting bullets. They will not expand properly, if at all. That is why they are OK to use for military sniping, because they comply with the Geneva Convention articles that require militaries use only non-expanding bullets (FMJ, for ex.)

So you're thinking, "Hey, those match bullets have hollow points so they'll expand." Au contraire my friend, they will not expand because the hollow point does not go back to the lead core. It is there only for aerodynamic purposes. (Another story for another thread.)

Berger makes all their bullets, hunting or match, to match standards of uniformity. I like 'em.

It depends on which match bullets you are talking about. The OLD Berger match bullets are the NEW Berger hunting bullet. They just changed the code #. None of the hollow points that I'm aware of actually go into the lead core, they stop at the lead core. Sierras (tangent) do not expand because of the angle of attack putting more force inward than outward. There are a lot of match style bullets being used VERY successfully for long range hunting, not the least of which is the 215 Berger hybrid.......Rich

The moment Sierra or Berger state that they are suitable for hunting use the military will probably have to stop using them as they are saying they expand well. OTM type bullets are not designed to expand its all about hitting the target. The fact they do expand is a different story. No business in their right mind would say their bullets can be used for hunting if they could lose sales to the military. I think its about matching a bullet with the game. The thicker jacket on a Berger target bullet will still do exactly the same thing as the hunting bullet it will just take more to do it. Thicker jacket says better penetration on tough meat to me.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.