Berger .30 210gr hunting vld vs sierra match king 210gr

trazman

Has anyone any experience with sierras for hunting? I would definitely use bergers, but I will not be able to get them until october...

I used to use the 7mm 160 Sierra Gamekings for deer hunting, until I shot a deer and saw how much damage they did.

I don't know how the SMK's perform on animals, being they're a target bullet....But if they're anyhting like their lead-tipped counterpart, I wouldn't use them.

However, I can tell you that Bergers perform excellently on game. So do Nosler Accubonds & Barnes TSX's.

IMO the Matchkings are great target bullets and poor hunting bullets. They will not expand like a Berger because of the ogive shape. It takes a lot more velocity to expand them. If you are talking sierra Gamekings, I have had good success with deer, but have never used them on elk sized game...... Rich

I know for others, but the 210 gn is a VLD bullet is has the same shape as berger 210gr...

Sierra doesn't say its a secant ogive but its BC is .645, ,631 for the berger so it is more than likely a secant design I have yet to see a .BC that high with a tangent design in that weight range, I could be wrong about that but as far as the major manufacturers I have not seen it. I do know they shoot great at targets and steel, and there BC is accurate....

The Sierra target jackets that I use are thinner than a Berger (J4), so if they are a secant, they would be worth testing. I use Sierras for my favorite long range bullet, the 208 SXR......Rich

The Sierra target jackets that I use are thinner than a Berger (J4), so if they are a secant, they would be worth testing. I use Sierras for my favorite long range bullet, the 208 SXR......Rich

It seems its just a select few that are secant 210smk, and 1or 2 .284s smks one of my best magazine length shooters is not (200gr.smks BC .565)

According to Bryan Litz's applied ballistics, the bc G7 for sierra is .316, for berger .321. The design is almost the same, but sierra has a little bit less bearing surface so I guess I could get slightly higher velocities an it is also better stabilized with 1-11" which I have...

As I said I prefer bergers but I will not be able to get them until october...

According to Bryan Litz's applied ballistics, the bc G7 for sierra is .316, for berger .321. The design is almost the same, but sierra has a little bit less bearing surface so I guess I could get slightly higher velocities an it is also better stabilized with 1-11" which I have...

I'm with you, I want to try the 215 hybrids but I can't get them any where so I went with 210smk but I have a box of 208gr. Amax waiting on some empty brass....

I suggest shooting the Berger and Sierra into into a water media with a reduced velocity load in the velocity range you are interested in (impact velocity) and see how they compare?.........Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.