Benefits of the 1/4 bore?

I guess my thing with the 257 cal is you can take any 25 cal and neck it up to a 6.5 or down to a 6mm and get the same or better performance. Let's take the 25-06 for example. The 6.5-06 with 120s is the same thing then you have the option of going up to 140 or even 160 class which will paste a 25-06

Then we can go 6mm-06 with 105s and blistering fast speeds to shoot flatter than the 25 variant while still maintaining nearly the same energy.

So the thing I struggle with is why it's even in existence. The 6mm starts at 58ish and goes to 115. The 6.5 goes from 85-160. I belive the 257 is 75-120. The 6mm and 6.5s already have those weights covered.

I think a 257 Weatherby and some 128 gr Hammer bullets would make a nice hunting rifle. I think I'll check on a 7" twist barrel.

Roy would be proud.

We have exactly this build in process. Hoping it will be done soon.

Steve

The reamer is SAAMI spec. The freebore will enable us to set long bullets out as far as we want. May be a single shot for the 128's but should be able to mag feed any of our others.
Brian

[ame]https://youtu.be/5dc41a7DA8w[/ame]

Here is a video showing Kirby Allen taking a giant whitetail at 400y with 128g Hammer Hunter from his 257 Allen Mag. His shot is at 36sec into the video.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.