What type of Bore cleaner?

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by TrpD345, Aug 17, 2005.

1. TrpD345

TrpD345 Active Member

I know this has probably been discussed alot. What do you guys recommend? Hoppes, Shooters, Butches, or other? Please be specific. Thanks!

2. jb1000br

jb1000br Well-Known Member

I use and can sell you wipeout ( www.sharpshootr.com )

And GM TOp Engine Cleaner (from your chevy dealer)

Lots of ways to skin a cat...

YMMV,
    JB

3. Jimm

Jimm Writers Guild

Hey JB,
    you're getting mellow in your old age /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I can remember the time ..... ahhh , nevermind /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
    GM Top engine cleaner sells for about 6 or 7 bucks a QUART . It will remove carbon as well as copper, Butches Bore Shine is the same makeup as GM TEC with the addition of some color and smell. I have used them both back to back , front to front , sideways ( I'm getting crazy here )and they are identical in performance. So , the big difference is that Butches cost twice as much as the GM TEC.Oh, yeah , the GM TEC comes in a nice , sturdy METAL can , the Butches in a glass bottle that has a crappy top/lid /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
    As far as the "others" go I have used them and gave them away( some of them pretty expensive)The only other cleaner that I use /have is Barnes CR10 , it will get a little more copper after the GM TEC but that is only if you rush the GM TEC. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Jim Brown

4. sniper2

sniper2 Well-Known Member

Butch's,Barnes followed by Kroil.

5. Buffalobob

Buffalobob Writers Guild

Iossa paste for carbon. Looks like Brylcreame and a little dab will do ya. Follow with Butches or what ever to rinse it and the carbon out

6. Freebore

Freebore Well-Known Member

Hoppes new Elite followed by CR10. Finish with Tetra gun oil in the bore.

7. Delta Hunter

Delta Hunter Well-Known Member

8. Troutslayer

Troutslayer Well-Known Member

Butches leaked all over a bunch of my stuff, essentially ruining it. That led me to Barnes, which I think works better anyway.

9. sewwhat89

sewwhat89 Well-Known Member

I took Kirby Allen's advice on using WipeOut, and WOW!!! Guns that were "clean" had lots of copper fouling. Below is a site that has the product, and the deliver very quickly. I had mine in 4 days over a weekend. Follow the directions and prepare to be amazed!
    www.midsouthshooterssupply.com