Benefits of 129/130 gr bullets w 6.5x284?

Hybrid-100 gets 3100 fps from a 142gr Sierra Matchking. It has a burn rate that comes in between 4350, and 4831. It also is a fine extruded powder that meters nicely. However, it is not one of Hodgden's extreme powders. I know you are correct, as far as finding reloading components! My 6.5 reedmore likes 40gr of 4350, with a 142gr bullet, and gets me 2625 FPS. Not fast, but shoots excellent! I dont trust a chrono, so I shoot and enter my data in the G7 ballistic calculator, to get an actual velocity.

OK. 3100 seems fast but I guess that depends on your barrel length. The reason I ask is that I am shooting 2940 in a 24" with 140 and 2700 with 160 with retumbo. I need a longer stick!

Brent, hybrid100v is a sneaky powder, it peaks quick with no warning IME. I had a hunting rifle with a 26.5" barrel(would like to kick myself in the *** for selling it) I tried a pressure test with 100v and 140 amaxs from 46-50grns, 50 is hodgdons max for a 142 sierra, had the amaxs .030" off the lands almost .200" longer than there oal for the 142s, 49grn went 2963 with no issues whatsoever, so I popped the 50grn load in and sent it through the chrony, it read 3012, I was tickled pink that I could get 3012fps with 50grns of powder, until I had to pry my bolt open and when I go it open the case was stuck in the chamber and the primer was laying in the follower, I had to drive the 1.25$ useless case out of the chamber with a cleaning rod. Btw 210Ms were used for this test. They say it is supposed to be between 4350 and 4831 but in my experience it is an extremely short cut high energy version of Imr4350, actually just a tid bit faster burn rate wise, kinda like what rl17 was supposed to be, they had the same claims.

Brent, the barrel length is 30 inches long. Sorry forgot to mention that. I know that Gunwerks loads their custom 6.5-284 ammo with Retumbo. I am sure because they get both accuracy and velocity. I think your velocity using the 140gr projectile, is respectable. It seems we always push the envelope as far as we dare. As for the Hybrid-100, I would not work any ladder up a full grain at a time, once I reach near the top of the recommended charge. If its tight groups your after, I would not try to shortcut any aspect of your hand loading! As in good brass, quality bullets, proper case prep, etc. P.S. Check for bullet runout after ammo is loaded. I like .002-.003 tops.

Thanks guys. I always learn something on here.

Retumbo seems to give me good all around results with accuracy and velocity. I have shot from 10f to 90f and the rifle is consistent. Wonderful.

I tried retumbo in the 260 and it did not work as well as h4831. It is nuts how hard it is to find reloading supplies in my area. It sucks because I cant do much testing and fiddling around. I am down to 400 210m primers and I look every week in the stores around the area. Drives me bonkers.

Mr. Custom66, not trying to be an ***, but as I mentioned that was a pressure test to find the top end charge, not a ladder, or ocw ********. I have likely loaded more rounds in the last month than you have in the last year. I have 950 to finish before the new year, and no not all the same. This ain't my first rodeo brother.

Mr. Backwoods, I do not question how great you are, or how much you know or don't know. I was only trying to help a fellow member out, and keep him safe. If you looked at my first postings, I stated that my info is only my opinion. Last time I checked, we still live in a free country, and are entitled to free speach? Sorry if you felt insulted, was not intended. Happy Holidays!

Mr. Custom66, not trying to be an ***, but as I mentioned that was a pressure test to find the top end charge, not a ladder, or ocw ********. I have likely loaded more rounds in the last month than you have in the last year. I have 950 to finish before the new year, and no not all the same. This ain't my first rodeo brother.

I thought/think he was talking to me. Might be wrong, but I suspect he was refering to me testing this powder for myself.

It's not mine either but it's ok with me. Just the other day at one of my rodeo's I didn't conduct testing properly and the results a null and void. It was waste of time actually. Sometimes it helps to be reminded to follow the fundamentals.

Brent and Custom, I wasn't being rude and it is nice to be reminded. I was just stating that I wouldn't even begin a workup or ladder without knowing the upper limits of a certain case/powder/bullet/primer combo and to let you know of the quick pressure spike of hybrid, imo its worse than 7828 or rl17.

Brent and Custom, I wasn't being rude and it is nice to be reminded. I was just stating that I wouldn't even begin a workup or ladder without knowing the upper limits of a certain case/powder/bullet/primer combo and to let you know of the quick pressure spike of hybrid, imo its worse than 7828 or rl17.

I am following you man. I am totally good with everything you said. In fact I am sitting here trying to figure out the beginning weight to test H4198 in my 204.

Well Brent I never had much luck with 4198 in anything, I don't know if you prefer it but 17grns is a good start. The three 204s I load for prefer 26.5 grns of Imr8208xbr or 27grns of H4895 under a 39grn Blitzking or 40grn Nosler.

Thanks to all for the informative posts, much appreciated... I'd failed to mention it is a rifle solely intended for hunting applications. So not as worried about barrel life, but certainly appreciate the extra impact of the heavier bullets on game. Realistically, I wouldn't be shooting past 500 yards, I'm guessing.

Accuracy was one hole with 52.5 gr, 3 shots, 100 yards, and about 3/8" with 53.0 gr, 3 shots. Didn't have time to chrono because it was right before my trip to SC. Got lucky, but that seems to happen so often with Reloder 19 powder. One of my favorites.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.