benchmark 3c or 5c barrel?

shawnb

hi guys, im just wondering what your thoughts are on a 7mm rem with a 3c or 5c barrel from benchmark. the 3c sounds pretty interesting. im guessing it would give maybe a little more velocity and less pressure but just want to hear what you think.

anyone have experience?

thanks.

From everything I've been told, the 3-groove barrels were designed for high-velocity .22 centerfire calibers.

1:9 twist 5C barrel gets my vote. I wouldn't go less than 26" either.

I have three 3L Pac-Nor barrels. 1 is not yet installed.

It is my belief:
1) copper likes it.
2) jacketed likes it.
3) faster with less pressure

I have not seated VLDs into the lands on one though.

3 barrels vs. 20 others with no problems, well that's pretty limited data.

However, I believe I made the right decision going with a 3 groove.

Run really whatever you want, both are exceptional barrels! Personally I run my 7mm Dakota with a 5R
Chris
Benchmark Barrels

Chris, would you recommend using a 3c in something of the .338 caliber shooting the 300 grainers???

Have you all found the 3c barrels to produce faster FPS numbers and if they do, do you have any idea how much faster the FPS are number/s, on the average that is.

90% of the 338 we turn out are the 9.5 twist 5R. My 338 lapua is running them out of a 28" tube at 2861 FPS, so speeds are normal. The 3 grooves in edges seem to be running fast for guys (+2900FPS) for the 300 gr'ers. We have not tested them sid by side as of yet though. Both are very accurate from the reports I get on the 3 gr. And I have ran 2 5R's, both in lapua. Either way you won't be disappointed. But if this is gonna be a round that you push a 300 gr'er over 3000fps, I will steer you to the 5R. As jacket disturbance is minimized.

I have a 3 groove Lilja in my 6.5 Sherman and it has performed well. I also had one in a 300 RUM which worked out well too. They have wider lands than a 5 groove and some think they wear a little better. Mine have shot well with more rounds through them than, where many believe, accuracy would suffer? Sometimes the wider lands are harder on bullet jackets, especially with the smaller bores with higher velocities.......Rich

Chris, thank you, that answered what I needed to know.

What about a bout a big .30 cal that could push the 230 Bergers well over 3200fps??? Same deal, maybe stay away from the 3c, thoughts????

Yeah I'd rather see you run a 5R, unless you are gonna run mono's then a 3 GR is fine.

After what you said about the 300gr Bergers above 3000fps I kinda figured the same answer would apply to launching the 230's at my speeds.

So, is it the long, heavy for caliber bullets that the 3g barrels don't like or is it the FPS that creates the problems with shredding the jackets with the 3g rifling or is it a mix of both?

Is there a certain FPS threshold you recommend staying under when using a 3g barrel?

I went with a cut rifled 5R 10 twist bbl for my new wildcat the 300 Werewolf , the cartridge design is intended to specifically run the 230 gr Bergers at 3500 fps , I'm hoping the Bergers will stabilize at that velocity with the 10 twist in 5R ....

does anybody make a 30 cal 5R in 9 twist ? looking for a 34" blank in Sendero contour !

Chris ?

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.