Bedding McMillan stocks

If you plan to shoot with a scope from 100yds on out to never never land, l recommend quality glass bedding. Free float the barrel from the action forward. In other words, so the barrel doesn't touch the stock.

You're be less likely to have to rezero your rifle/scope from week to week, month to month, hunt to hunt.

Up to you.
McMillan recommends, for hunting rifles, you shoot it first.

The risk, if it's a DIY (or done by an unprofessional smith) is that you can do more harm than good with a receiver bedding job that's done improperly by stressing (bending) the receiver. If you do decide to bed it- I would shoot it first to establish baseline accuracy. Testing again after bedding will confirm you didn't hack the bedding job. Done correctly, bedding can never be detrimental to accuracy. If you discover a problem after, it's simple enough to grind out the bedding and do-over...
^^^ this

A few years ago I bought a lathe and started doing my own work. This winter I picked up a McSwirly Rem varmint stock for a 22 Creedmoor I was building. I've always bedded everything from the get go. I decided I was going to do what tobnr said and establish a baseline.

I've had it to the range one day and it's showing it doesn't need it. Now, very likely I'm going to do it, just to see but thus far I'm impressed and surprised.