Bedding McMillan stocks

Old Cat

Their hunting line comes w pillars preinstalled. McMillan advises it's not necessary.

What say you?

Last edited:
Sure, the rifle will shoot if it's not bedded in a factory McMillan stock...

Can McMillan provide rifle precision data for properly bedded stocks, versus barreled actions bolted into factory stocks?

What level of reliable precision do you expect?

Sure, the rifle will shoot if it's not bedded in a factory McMillan stock...

Can McMillan provide rifle precision data for properly bedded stocks, versus barreled actions bolted into factory stocks?

What level of reliable precision do you expect?
I got ya.

The answer most would give, the best the that the rifle is capable. And that has alway meant bedding. Now, I haven't shot rifles consistently in ages- I've used pistols to hunt w for 25 years or so, da eyes. I didn't know if maybe something had changed from the wood stock era.

If you've been hunting with pistols, then your shots are probably close range. If you now intend to rifle hunt large game at those closer ranges, then the beneficial gain in precision from paying someone to glass bed the factory McMillan stock... probably insignificant. Precision at 75 - 100yds should be adequate either way.

Up to you.
McMillan recommends, for hunting rifles, you shoot it first.

The risk, if it's a DIY (or done by an unprofessional smith) is that you can do more harm than good with a receiver bedding job that's done improperly by stressing (bending) the receiver. If you do decide to bed it- I would shoot it first to establish baseline accuracy. Testing again after bedding will confirm you didn't hack the bedding job. Done correctly, bedding can never be detrimental to accuracy. If you discover a problem after, it's simple enough to grind out the bedding and do-over...

Up to you.
McMillan recommends, for hunting rifles, you shoot it first.

The risk, if it's a DIY (or done by an unprofessional smith) is that you can do more harm than good with a receiver bedding job that's done improperly by stressing (bending) the receiver. If you do decide to bed it- I would shoot it first to establish baseline accuracy. Testing again after bedding will confirm you didn't hack the bedding job. Done correctly, bedding can never be detrimental to accuracy. If you discover a problem after, it's simple enough to grind out the bedding and do-over...
Im not super concerned about tackling the process myself. I'm fairly patient and when I choose to be, I can be detailed oriented. Shoot, I think I might enjoy it. I do have some experience fooling w long guns, albeit from the early nineties.

If you've been hunting with pistols, then your shots are probably close range. If you now intend to rifle hunt large game at those closer ranges, then the beneficial gain in precision from paying someone to glass bed the factory McMillan stock... probably insignificant. Precision at 75 - 100yds should be adequate either way.
When I was younger, I was comfortable squeezing out to a 100 or so off-hand on big game. I would hope some of the same mechanics will transfer to long guns. It might be a hoot trying my hand at some much longer range targets using a telescope.

I want this thing to shoot.