Bedding Compound - yes I've searched

Just finishing up a rifle that I used the Devcon Steel Putty and Hornady OneShot for the release agent. Both worked great!

The Hornady OneShot is good stuff and a lot easier to work with than the kiwi shoe polish. I got the reccomendation from the guy at LongRifles. He says it makes your finish a lot smoother and shinier. Either works but the aerosols are a lot easier to work with and produce a shinier finish when completed.

Well it came out with a little elbow grease and all that's left is to clean 'er up, get the scope remounted, and get some hand loads dialed in!

BTW I did flat the tang just a touch after some more reading. Not sure if it matters or not, but, I did it.

So from what I am reading here, with a Savage, a guy could just put a little tape around the barrel, about the same under the tang, and fill the gap between the action and stock with bedding compound ? Of course that is over simplifying, but basically, do I have that rite? That will automatically float the barrel, rite? No real need to spend hours floating the barrel first? How much compound are we looking for here, .050 ? More ?lightbulb

Tape the barrel to float it? - Yes

Tape the tang? - When I tapped the action in to hold it I did it in such a way where the tang was raised, I'm sure there are other options and better ways to do it.

How much material used? I mixed up a more than I needed, put it on the areas I was bedding, and laid/secured the action in the stock. I have no idea how thick it is at any point. Once cured I cleaned the areas up.

The actual process is easy, it's prepping everything, making sure you don't get bedding compound where you don't want, and prepping EVERYTHING with release agent so NOTHING sticks where you don't want. I also prepped the stock where it was going to be bedded by scuffing it with 180 sand paper just to give it tooth.

Is also watched hours of youtube vids to make sure I had a good idea before I started the project had read a LOT of forums....

Years back a fella that introduced me to LR shooting taught me how to bed rifles. My first 2 where Remington's, recoil lug, action, and tang, they came out beautiful. One I cut the bottom out of and put a floor plate in it at the sametime , it looked better then factory, I know because the other one had a factory floor plate.

Since then my buddy turned me on to some tutoral videos. 1 is Darrell Holland and the other Richard Franklin, both are excellant and cover everything, megga tips. I've done many different actions since then and Savage's seem to be the easiest. With these videos you learn how to install pillars at the sametime. I've done this in my McMillan A-2 for 1 of my Savage's. I prefer Devcon Steel putty, Grey Marine Tex down in S. Florida in the summerime can be a challenge if you are not in a A/C area. Glad to hear it worked out for you, it gets easier and better everytime you do one.

P.S. When Gordy gives you info it is worth listening to, for his work is topnotch.

Steel Bed by Brownells and Ive used them all. Pictures are worth a thousand words...

Attachments

• Steve1.jpg
    Steve1.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 62
  • bed1.jpg
    bed1.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 95
  • bedding9-22-11.jpg
    bedding9-22-11.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 58
Up date:

As most of you know I am a big fan of Steel bed.

I just ordered some more (I normally order the 2. 8 oz cans. well to my surprise they more than doubled the price. What used to cost $45.00 now cost $120.00.

I didn't mind paying more for a great product but double the cost of other products of the same quantity and quality
is ridiculous .

Looks like when this is gone, I will be trying another product that is not over priced.

I know that there are other good bedding compounds and I just have to try some of them. (The ones that have 1 to 1 mix ratio preferably.

Sometimes some products just price them selves out of business.

This is what I call Shock and awe.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.