Bear protection handguns?

My biggest issue is I have a hand span of 10 3/8 so most grips are small and the web takes a beating unless I switch out to larger grips. Then big bores become manageable in my hands. I really don't mind shooting them at all. I have friend with Contender 45-70 that is most recoil I have shot but it was incredibly accurate! Little tough to carry and one shot.

My biggest issue is I have a hand span of 10 3/8 so most grips are small and the web takes a beating unless I switch out to larger grips. Then big bores become manageable in my hands. I really don't mind shooting them at all. I have friend with Contender 45-70 that is most recoil I have shot but it was incredibly accurate! Little tough to carry and one shot.
What's a hand span?

Like the width of a front bear paw..., or a spread hand 🖐
10 3/8" is the width!?!
No offense, but how tall are you and do you get your gloves custom made? I'm impressed 😮
Edit*
Just as a reference, horses are measured in "hands" which equates to roughly 4" for the width. I'm gonna measure mine now cuz I doubt I'm even at 6".

Gone Ballistic - just laughing at the thought of spraying myself to make me less tasty... Thanks for the chuckle. :)

JeffreyJWilliams - what are you using to hunt deer? Most deer rifles are fine for black bear as well.

Regards, Guy
I've read of instances where a grizzly rolled around in an area where bear spray had been discharged. Showed all signs of enjoying it.

You also have to draw the firearm too. That's why I got a 500SW in a 4". Still a lot of recoil. Controling the piece is or can be a problem. I am kind of rethinking and possible going to a 44mag. It would be a short barrel too. 4" max.

You also have to draw the firearm too. That's why I got a 500SW in a 4". Still a lot of recoil. Controling the piece is or can be a problem. I am kind of rethinking and possible going to a 44mag. It would be a short barrel too. 4" max.

The exact reason that I'd love to get a 5" S&W 460 XVR for those times when out, but not hunting!

If I'm hunting is either the rifle or the 8 3/8" XVR…..never both at the same time!

When hunting anywhere but wide open country, the rifle or the handgun will be in hand…..neither shouldered or holstered. Quick Draw McGraw I ain't! 😉 In close quarters, an attack will likely happen faster than I can draw or put a shouldered rifle to use! JMO. memtb

Hey, just because there are full power loads doesn't mean you need to use them.

Even comparing a generic reduced recoil load in the 500 S&W to the hottest load for the 44 mag.

Buffalo bore 440gr at 1325fps for a little over 1650 lb/ft in the 500 S&W
Buffalo bore 340gr +p+ load that is 1425fps and 1533 lb/ft in the 44 mag.

You can't even shoot that 44 mag load in all guns because of the pressure.

Which means you'd have to deal with more recoil and a +p+ load to even get close to the reduced loads for your 500 S&W, and the 44 mag only gets worse from there, while you still have all kinds of room to play with the 500 S&W and do better.

You've got options, don't ditch her yet, and generally speaking the 500 also has several great heavy high sectional density bullet choices, most others do not. And I don't think there is another at all with bullets that hit that 300+ sectional density area.

So don't handicap yourself if you don't need to, if you don't load, you might contact TII Armory or Aria Ballistics to see what they can do for reduced loads, one thing you can do is get 500 JRH or 500 S&W Short loads, they are reduced loads that work in the 500 S&W mag.
Matt's Ammunition does some reduced recoil loads, Buffalo Bore has that slower 440gr but they also have 500 JRH/500 S&W Short.
**Just note, some have reduced loads that are severely reduced, like 800-900fps, I wouldn't go that low. Though the 700gr at 900fps is actually still throwing 1259 lb/ft, and the 600gr at 1000fps is 1332 lb/ft and would be very easy to manage, like let your child shoot it easy.

See what companies like that can do for reduced recoil loads for you, perhaps try something in the 500gr area at 1250fps or so

I run a custom barreled 5" 500 S&W, one shot, to the brain, let the Glock guys worry about mag dumping and spray and pray, we can just worry about one shot to the brain and end it there.

A guy killed a Grizzly in eastern Montana couple days ago.
Was charged by a 4 year old female /with cub of the year.
Story goes he hit the bear twice with a hand gun at close range!
Killed it dead ,one shot must have hit it in the head!
NO info on the caliber!
You can probably find more on the internet!
Was about a 12-year old sow 300 pounder, tracks in snow, antler huntN, 2-dogs along with, guy saw it start charging from 20yards away, fired at 30ft to 10ft, 5-shots, 1 graze N 1 hit, Dead Bear, cub taken by Fish-N-Game to the bear orphanage. No cartridge mentionD