Barrel for my 300WM

gkempf

My factory barrel has seen better days so the ole gal is going to get a new one. Rifle is used for hunting out west. What do you 300WM guys like as far as custom barrels go. I am wanting to shoot 181 Hammers. Do you recommend an 8 twist or stick with a 10. And as far as contours I was thinking a #4. What do you recommend. Thank you!

Have a 1:10 Hart on my .300-caliber target rifle; shoots sub-quarter. Neck clearance of 0.001 inches. Had a Krieger before the Hart; would buy another Hart.

Have a 1:12 Lilja on my .358-caliber hunting rifle; shoots 3/4" at 100 yards. Neck clearance of 0.005 inches. Dam-ned good barrel...

I use criterion and spin them on myself and use. 1:10 but have not gone heavier than the 190s. I have been wanting to try the heavier Berger's or now the hammers but have not had the chance

Thanks

Buck

I would go with a 9 twist. That will let you shoot up to 230gr bullets and won't hurt when shooting 180gr bullets either. For brand, there's a ton of good ones out there now. I prefer Bartleins, but Brux, Krieger, and MullerWorks are all premium cut rifled barrels. For button barrels, Hart, Brougton, Benchmark, and Lilja are all excellent barrels too. Don't get caught up in cut vs button rifled, or brand name. Find one in stock from one of the above makers, and roll with it. Once you find what works for you, you can stick with them, or get another maker's barrel. All of the premium barrel makers today are neck and neck. They all shoot and all work well.

Do a 10 twist. It will handle the 215 Berger or 181 hammer.
I'd recommend a CF barrel if your walking around out west. They allow you to maintain the stiffness while keeping the weight down. They also keep the balance of gun in check.

Personally I would go with a 1:9 twist. This way you can stabilize any heavy 30 cal bullet. For the 181 Hammer, 1:10 twist is the minimum recommended twist. #4 contour is my favorite contour for a hunting weight rifle. I have used Bartlein, Brux, Kreiger, Benchmark, Proof. They all make great barrels.

Some MFGs are now making 1/9.5 twist rate. Many actually recommended this TR for the new 300 PRC. I just finished my 300PRC and did a Proof 1/10 which they make in a Sendero type contour. Anyways it stabilizes 210 ELDX and 225 ELD with no issues and great groups. I've yet to work up a load for the Berger's but will be doing soon.

I have already weighed in on this issue once before and I am sure no one read it or took heed of it. As an ex-1000 yard and mile competitor I have had no problems stating that I endorse 1:8" and 1:7" twists for any monolith over 175 grains or any slug longer than a standard 190 grain slug. This is a no brainer; the slugs of today are longer than earlier slugs and need a tighter twist. You will never be disappointed going with a tighter twist if you are in doubt. The 181 Hammer needs the 1:8" twist. Any Berger over 175 grain needs a 1:8" twist. My next 300 win mag barrel will be a 1:7" if I can get one. I would talk to Pac-Nor barrels and rebarreling service. they have 0.308" barrels down to 1:4" twists. my choices for these are the 3 groove, 5 groove and polygonal. If polygonal was in 1:7.5" or 1:7" I would go with polygonal without hesitation.
30 (.308")
2 groove 16"
3 groove 6" 6.50" 7" 7.50" 9" 10" 12" 13" 14" 15"
4 groove 10" 11"
5 groove 4" 5" 7" 8" 9" 10" 11" 11.25" 12" 13" 15" 17" 18"
6 groove 8" 14"
Polygonal 8" 10" 12"

I would do the 8" twist. No less than 9".

Had an interesting conversation with Rich the other day about left hand twist. I am thinking I am going to look into this for my next barrel. As a right handed shooter it will take the torque away from your cheek and an the northern hemisphere will there should be less spin drift due to corollis counter acting it.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.