Barrel Engraving?

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by Earl Fouraker, Sep 5, 2008.

1. Earl Fouraker

Earl Fouraker Well-Known Member

I've just recently started getting into to barrel fitting and chambering. I'm wanting to start engraving the barrels that I chambered with the caliber, neck diameter ect. I was wondering how most of you guys where doing it and what I would have to purchase to get started. Thanks for any help.

2. EddieHarren

EddieHarren Well-Known Member

Many people use a pantograph. Good ones are expensive as are the brass "letter" templates that are needed.
    CNC Mills can be programmed to engrave.
    I use an electro-acid etch system by Marking Methods Inc. from California. Stencils can be made with a typewriter. Custom stencils for logos and lettering can be ordered from the same Co.

3. Earl Fouraker

Earl Fouraker Well-Known Member

Eddie,

That looks very interesting. I didn't see any prices on their website. What kind of price is their machines and custom stencils? Also do you think you could post a picture of some of the engraving you've done with it. Thanks alot,

Earl

4. Buffalobob

Buffalobob Writers Guild

I have seen the engraving Eddie did on "Ole Hematoma" and it looks good.

5. Dan Carey

Dan Carey Well-Known Member

What is the deal with pictures on this site? No can do?

6. ss7mm

ss7mm Writers Guild

7. Black Diamond 408

Black Diamond 408 Well-Known Member

Earl,
    I have a model GM "New Hermes" engravograph i would let go. I have two of them! I use one for all my engraving on barrels and actions. You would have to make a vise to hold the barrel. Its a rotary engraver or diamond scratch, uses a carbide cutter for steel use. YOu can find the letters on EBAY, i have several sets, small, med and large.
    350.00 plus shipp

8. Dan Carey

Dan Carey Well-Known Member

Although I don't get the same window as shown on the "how to" I have figured a way to get one up and running. The window I get, doesn't have the tool bar across the top showing the fonts and other options. Thanks.

[​IMG]