Barrel engraver

I've read about this (in lieu of water). Do you find it etches deeper/faster than plain saltwater?

I can't say one is better than the other as I've done it both ways and either works, just need an electrolyte. I've also used muriatic acid in about 10 parts water to 1 part acid and it works but you better not leave it sitting very long as everything in it's vicinity will corrode. It didn't work well enough to warrant it's continued use. The water+salt or vineger+salt works just as effectively. I built a power source and have 12, 24 AC and DC. I did try 24 volt DC and it seems to etch a little better at 12 volts DC. You can use AC and it will turn black but no penetration. My etching wand is about 2" long and 1/4" wide and I cover with felt from Walmart. I roll it back and forth and seems to etch pretty evenly for consistent depth. 1 minute or less is plenty deep. Definitely on masking around the etching area. I cover with painters tape. When finished etching, spray with window cleaner and rinse with water.

Are you etching the barrel after cerakote and in the stock?
If I'd done that, the lettering would show as bare steel.
As I was typing the above message is spot-on. I don't believe the Ckote is electrically conductive being ceramic based- however, perhaps the semi-metallic ones could be. In any case, I wouldn't want it to "stand out" to that extent.

XR, thanks for the input. I'm going to give the vinegar a try.