Barrel engraver

Kmccord

Looking into doing my own chambering and building my own rifles and wanted to find out what the GS are using to mark the barrel with the cartridge?

I've not found the usual "engraver" places (trophy places, jewelers, etc) to have laser engravers large enough for rifle barrels.
Started out using a shop-made jig, and stamped the info.
There are Hermes engravers, but always looked like a pain in the *** to me to use and they're difficult to find complete- plus they take up a ton of space.

Acid-etching for me now.

d7NzkQ2l.jpg

I've not found the usual "engraver" places (trophy places, jewelers, etc) to have laser engravers large enough for rifle barrels.
Started out using a shop-made jig, and stamped the info.
There are Hermes engravers, but always looked like a pain in the *** to me to use and they're difficult to find complete- plus they take up a ton of space.

Acid-etching for me now.

d7NzkQ2l.jpg
Do you have any information on acid etching I could look up?

Looking into doing my own chambering and building my own rifles and wanted to find out what the GS are using to mark the barrel with the cartridge?
You can get some metal stamp kits. Just stamp the caliber in. Thats the less expensive cost & easiest. There were a few for sale on LRH this past year so you can search on it. We are currently looking at purchasing Laser Units. Cost for Laser are a wide range depending on the Laser "Watts" and programs for designs. We want to put our LOGO on and be able to put personalized custom designs for the customers.
Good luck, what lathe and machinery are you using?
Thanks
Len & Jill

Do you have any information on acid etching I could look up?
Easy Peasy. Cheap- with professional looking results if properly done.
Salt water. Battery charger (or other 12v power supply).
Cricut machine for design/cutting vinyl stencils - which I also use to cut yellow Avery vinyl for Cerakote stencils.

Easy Peasy. Cheap- with professional looking results if properly done.
Salt water. Battery charger (or other 12v power supply).
Cricut machine for design/cutting vinyl stencils - which I also use to cut yellow Avery vinyl for Cerakote stencils.

tobnpr, I inherited a Marking Methods machine and it works well with the stencils that I inherited with them as well. However, I don't want to have to go back to them every time I need a stencil I don't have. Can you advise as to which Cricut machine you have and which stencil/vinyl material you like to use. I've been hunting for this combo for a long time and I'd owe you a cold one if you don't mind sharing. I bought a stencil printer and tape off of Amazon but it leaves a terrible finish and bleeds around the stencil even when taped off. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I make stencils with the etchomatic stencil material, I bought a whole kit years ago, it's screen printing mesh/emulsion. Print transparencies with the computer and burn them onto the stencil. Stencils are reusable which I don't think they are with the cricut?

Can you advise as to which Cricut machine you have and which stencil/vinyl material you like to use. I
Bought the newest model initially, the Cricut Air 3. I had seen some reviews where there were apparent firmware issues but figured they'd gotten it debugged. Apparently I was wrong, because the machine would not connect to the Cricut server (cloud based).

Returned it and got the earlier model, the Air 2 which has worked flawlessly. Only difference is the Air 3 can print up to 6' vinyl, and uses a proprietary vinyl that does not require it to be loaded on a cutting mat.

I have no need for 6' banners, the Air 2 will handle up to 24" x 12" which is all I need- and I can use any vinyl. Honestly, I bought the vinyl on sale at Hobby Lobby for engraving (the permanent seems to adhere better which is critical to prevent bleeding). I use the Avery high-bake yellow (as does everyone else) for Cerakote stenciling.

The Cricut isn't particularly user friendly, it has a lot of capability but I just haven't had the time (nor the inkling) to get into it for more than barrel and Ckote stencils. You can purchase .svg file downloads for camo patterns, etc at places like Etsy. Simple stuff (like just lettering) is easy even for me with the Design Space software- but for complicated patterns much easier to just buy the file.

Using a Cricut machine does produce a usable stencil on permanent vinyl but there are some tricks. There is a video on youtube that addresses the problem if you can get past the annoying voice. The trick is to modify the text into a semi stencil font. You don't have to buy anything. I use Arial font and leave it at 72 point. Type into Design Space what you want on barrel and then for numbers or letters with a center that will remain when you pull up the tape, use her trick to modify those characters so that a piece tying them together remains. Once your finished, then I shrink them down to .125" tall, then cut it on vinyl using the Washti paper setting.

Last edited:
Cricut 1/8" high stencil cut from glossy permanent glossy vinyl. You can see where letters of Arial font (free) was modified to leave the centers. Right side was where it was held in 3 jaw chuck and polished with scotch brite. Then I took .006" off the diameter up to the "R", so no doubt it's etched at least .003" deep. Salt and vinegar solution 12 volt DC.

12L14
image0.jpeg

stencil.jpeg

Another stub off of a Krieger SS barrel. Salt + Vinegar, 12 volts for about 1 minute.

image1.jpeg

I took .0094" off of the diameter of this piece. So depth of etch is > .005".

image2.jpeg

Last edited:
Definitely can get plenty deep enough for BATFE requirements where they apply. The only "issue" is there's no hard/fast way to know when you've reached your desired depth, more of feel/experience thing.

I'll add that if the barrel isn't getting a coating/surface finish to be sure to mask the entire barrel in the area where you're etching. Saltwater isn't steel friendly.
Salt and vinegar solution
I've read about this (in lieu of water). Do you find it etches deeper/faster than plain saltwater?

Last edited: