Engraving

nksmfamjp

What do you have engraved on your rifle? and where?

gunsmith name?

barrel maker? Twist rate? Lands & grooves?

Caliber?

Reamer specs?

Mine mainly have just the caliber.
But I am having one done now for a present for my uncle. A smith and wesson 500 with Dirty Barry engraved on both side of the barrel. Cause his name is Barry and he carries it around like it grew into his hand when we are hunting.

Good question. !!!!

The barrel ID is very Important and at the minimum should have the exact cartridge name on it.
From there, it should identify any changes to the SAMMI cartridge, like AI, Neck diameter, throat length if shorter than standard, shoulder angle if different than standard 40o for an AI.

Lead angle and other changes that don't contribute to excessive pressure, are nor required.

Next comes the voluntary engraving such as Gunsmith, and commemorative engraving. (Quotes, sayings, honoring someone, Even the rifles name if you have a streak of redneck in you :) . These markings are normally on the other side of the required barrel markings.

Some don't bother marking the barrel because it belongs to them and they know what it is. the problem when they pass on, the recipient of the weapon, may not have a clue what it is. I have seen many cases of this, and for safety they had to go to a smith and find out what it was. Even then, it is hard for a smith to measure a chamber for every subtle change that can be made and a chamber cast is the closest way.

So as a minimum you should place the cartridge name and any pertinent information in the barrel Id.

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
Good question. !!!!

The barrel ID is very Important and at the minimum should have the exact cartridge name on it.
From there, it should identify any changes to the SAMMI cartridge, like AI, Neck diameter, throat length if shorter than standard, shoulder angle if different than standard 40o for an AI.

Lead angle and other changes that don't contribute to excessive pressure, are nor required.

Next comes the voluntary engraving such as Gunsmith, and commemorative engraving. (Quotes, sayings, honoring someone, Even the rifles name if you have a streak of redneck in you :) . These markings are normally on the other side of the required barrel markings.

Some don't bother marking the barrel because it belongs to them and they know what it is. the problem when they pass on, the recipient of the weapon, may not have a clue what it is. I have seen many cases of this, and for safety they had to go to a smith and find out what it was. Even then, it is hard for a smith to measure a chamber for every subtle change that can be made and a chamber case is the closest way.

So as a minimum you should place the cartridge name and any pertinent information in the barrel Id.

J E CUSTOM

Thanks. I didn't think about it, but all the non-SAMMI items would be nice on there. We all pass away or pass on rifles. There is a strong assumption that something is reamed SAMMI, but on a full custom, are you ever sure?

Besides the cal. info, any gunsmith that operates under a 07 Manufactures FFL is required to place their official shop name (as listed on their license) and location. Minimum 1/16" tall by .003" deep. Others, who operate under a 01 dealers license have no official requirements that I am aware of. It becomes an "insurance thing", required by their product/business insurer.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.