barrel cleaning using wipe out

I use wipe out as well; however, I'm in the "just shoot the thing" camp - shoot it 20-40 times then give it a good cleaning.
Then seating depth/load OAL work up, then clean again.
Then go shoot and hunt with it until accuracy drops off.

Iam in the process of breaking in a barrel. I shoot seven rounds last Sunday. And used sweets. 7 69 .I let it sit in my barrel 15 minutes then swabed the barrel. Then patched it out till it looked fairly clean. Then shot and repeated till I had no time left that day .this being a family man I kinda tough when u want out pf the house. My girls keep calling wanting me to come home and spend time with them. OK back to this. I got in my order from miday with wipeout and tried it after 6 hours no blue liquid can out of the barrel. Is the liquid support to turn blue when using it. With the sweets there was lots of blue. But not with the wipeout. What do u guys think. It had ten rounds down the barrel.?
Personally, I don't think Wipe-out is that great for removing copper. I also think Wipe-Out has a shelf life but I have no way of proving that, except it seemed to work good for a year or two. Then when I saw blue on a patch it was noticeably less than when I bought the Wipe-Out even after allowing it to soak overnight.
Bore Tech C4 works better for me, but it has it's own drawbacks.
1) It has an odor I don't care for.
2) It has a lousy for spout, which makes it difficult to dispense a small amount. So it causes waste. So I put it in a small plastic bottle designed for dispensing super glue, which solves that problem.
3) The cleaning ritual is significantly longer using BoreTech C4, but I don't care because my barrel id clean when I get done
Consequently I'll keep using Bore Tech C4 because it works well for me.
My Shilen stainless steel match select target barrel with ratchet rifling is not a cheap barrel. With ratchet rifling & a Tight-necked chamber, it cost me over $500.00 plus shipping. So you can rest assured, I'll take whatever time it takes to clean it properly.

Personally, I don't think Wipe-out is that great for removing copper. I also think Wipe-Out has a shelf life but I have no way of proving that, except it seemed to work good for a year or two. Then when I saw blue on a patch it was noticeably less than when I bought the Wipe-Out even after allowing it to soak overnight.
Bore Tech C4 works better for me, but it has it's own drawbacks.
1) It has an odor I don't care for.
2) It has a lousy for spout, which makes it difficult to dispense a small amount. So it causes waste. So I put it in a small plastic bottle designed for dispensing super glue, which solves that problem.
3) The cleaning ritual is significantly longer using BoreTech C4, but I don't care because my barrel id clean when I get done
Consequently I'll keep using Bore Tech C4 because it works well for me.
My Shilen stainless steel match select target barrel with ratchet rifling is not a cheap barrel. With ratchet rifling & a Tight-necked chamber, it cost me over $500.00 plus shipping. So you can rest assured, I'll take whatever time it takes to clean it properly.
I tried WipeOut with varied soak times, found it was not doing the job, on carbon or copper. Went back to C-4 and then used Eliminator or Copper 2 to get all the copper. I normally use the BoreTech nylon brushes, but occasionally I have to go to bronze brushes to get stubborn carbon deposits out. I am also not afraid to use a fine abrasive paste to remove throat carbon rings. I also monitor my cleaning methods with a Hawkeye bore scope to make sure my bores are clean, from chamber to muzzle.

I was a dedicated Wipe-out user for awhile. I used their Accelerator too. After a bore appeared completely clean with the Wipe-out I decided to put a few BT Eliminator patches through only because I just received the Eliminator.
After sitting for 15 minutes or so, I ran another Eliminator soaked patch through and it came out stained blue. I was very surprised and repeated the experiment on different rifles at different times. Most of the time BT Eliminator removed more fouling after the Wipe-out was done cleaning.
I gave away the rest of my Wipe-out and Accelerator to my buddy who swears by the stuff and uses nothing else. I use Eliminator and CU2 now with no complaints.

I've also found that cleaning the barrel to bare steel and then applying Dyna Bore Coat works great at reducing powder and copper fouling, and speeds up cleanup.

I tried WipeOut with varied soak times, found it was not doing the job, on carbon or copper. Went back to C-4 and then used Eliminator or Copper 2 to get all the copper. I normally use the BoreTech nylon brushes, but occasionally I have to go to bronze brushes to get stubborn carbon deposits out. I am also not afraid to use a fine abrasive paste to remove throat carbon rings. I also monitor my cleaning methods with a Hawkeye bore scope to make sure my bores are clean, from chamber to muzzle.

One of the most certain ways to know how well a barrel has been cleaned is a borescope. Without seeing the bore you're just guessing. Good luck

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts