Is Wipe Out ok for custom barrels?

I have used it for over a year on all my custom barrels. Don't bore scope them, but they are just as accurate, and my brushing went from almost all barrels, to only a few here and there when I am in a rush.

The other cleaner I use in a rush is Butches Bore shine.

I have read about the accelorator, but have yet to try it. Sounds like a good idea.

I would like to know if the Gunslick and the Wipeout are the same. And about the accelerator, how and why is this used. I have seen this stuff at my local shop but not the regular Wipeout.

I would like to know if the Gunslick and the Wipeout are the same. And about the accelerator, how and why is this used. I have seen this stuff at my local shop but not the regular Wipeout.

The accelerator is not a cleaner - it is used with the wipeout to ACCELARATE the cleaning time process. When I use the accelarator with wipeout I let my gun set for a very short time before running patches through. When I use just the wipeout I let my gun set overnight before patches.

From what I have read, The gunslick stuff can hurt finishes on wood stocks. The wipeout is not suppose to harm anything.

Do you happen to know if it has the same results on the copper and carbon clean-up?
I'm just curious as to if wipeout may be a little better at cleaning than the gunslick foam.

The accelerator is not a cleaner - it is used with the wipeout to ACCELARATE the cleaning time process. When I use the accelarator with wipeout I let my gun set for a very short time before running patches through. When I use just the wipeout I let my gun set overnight before patches.

The gunslick foam says 15-30 minutes. I usually let it go longer, until I see that a good portion of the foam is gone. Then patch it a few times then put another application in the tube and wait. I have let it go overnight before. A clear sign is when I see blue dripping out the muzzle then I patch it. Also I tilt it so my bore is on an angle so if it does drip it goes out the muzzle instead of into the action.

Wipeout seems to me to get all of the carbon fouling along with the copper.

I use q-tip and Warthog on the removed muzzle brake and on the exposed threads.

I had bad copper fouling in my .338 RUM that after about an 45min-1hr I thought I had it out, using hoppes and a brush. Put wipeout down the tube and let it sit for an hour and the patches came out blue. I swera by the stuff and lets be honest, putting it down the barrel going and doing something for and hour or two beats the heck out of brushing till your arm is sore! I still brush a bit just for good measure but that because Im a little fussy.

Do you happen to know if it has the same results on the copper and carbon clean-up?
I'm just curious as to if wipeout may be a little better at cleaning than the gunslick foam.

I have never tried the gunslick. I went straight to the wipeout. Never wanted to take a chance with the gunslick. It may do well, but I'm sticking with wipeout.

Also I cut a couple pieces of terry cloth towel to stuff into the chamber so I never get anything in the action.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.