Asking for help on bullet choice for multiple deer rifles

back2bowhunting

I'm asking for your input on a decision I'm in the process of making: what ammunition I will choose to move forward with on 4 rifles?

1) H&R handi rifle youth in .243

2) Browning X bolt micro in 7mm08

3) Winchester M70 in .270

4) 7mag

I shot Bergers in .243 & 7mm08 last year and want to switch to something different for multiple reasons (.243 shoots inconsistent with Bergers & I really want something that will exit and leave good blood trail with all my rifles). Also, I don't reload so looking for factory ammunition.

I have been shooting Hornady interbonds for years in .270 and would just go with that for all rifles, but I can't find it anywhere. Appears hornady has stopped producing interbonds ammo temporarily.

This is for deer hunting with .243 shooting up to 250-300 yds. Note, .243 is big concern for me. I "believe" I need something around 100 grains and want pass-thru and/or broken shoulders. The 7mm08 & .270 will be shot up to 500 yds but most likely 250 yds or less.

I read hornady's info on superperformance gmx and sst Ammo. I was leaning toward gmx then read some folks say not to get it unless you have to be lead free b/c it doesn't perform as well. Hornady SST sounds good but I'm wondering if it is intended to pass thru - I know there are mixed feelings on this, but mine is clear - I want an exit hole. I'm not a fan of hollow points, etc. Before I shot interbonds I shot federal with nosler partitions and was happy with them. Other bullets I'm considering are Barnes ttsx (believe it's lead free too) and I've read some good stuff on Sierras but no little about them.

I apologize for asking you to repeat your thoughts here as I know this comes up a lot. I've read a good bit of it, but want to get the latest and greatest on rifles that I'm using.

I appreciate your thoughts in advance. I will use this info to make an order soon and get the rifles & my boys sighted in for deer season soon.

I'm asking for your input on a decision I'm in the process of making: what ammunition I will choose to move forward with on 4 rifles?

4) 7mag

I shot Bergers in .243 & 7mm08 last year and want to switch to something different for multiple reasons (.243 shoots inconsistent with Bergers & I really want something that will exit and leave good blood trail with all my rifles). Also, I don't reload so looking for factory ammunition.

I have been shooting Hornady interbonds for years in .270 and would just go with that for all rifles, but I can't find it anywhere. Appears hornady has stopped producing interbonds ammo temporarily.

This is for deer hunting with .243 shooting up to 250-300 yds. Note, .243 is big concern for me. I "believe" I need something around 100 grains and want pass-thru and/or broken shoulders. The 7mm08 & .270 will be shot up to 500 yds but most likely 250 yds or less.

I read hornady's info on superperformance gmx and sst Ammo. I was leaning toward gmx then read some folks say not to get it unless you have to be lead free b/c it doesn't perform as well. Hornady SST sounds good but I'm wondering if it is intended to pass thru - I know there are mixed feelings on this, but mine is clear - I want an exit hole. I'm not a fan of hollow points, etc. Before I shot interbonds I shot federal with nosler partitions and was happy with them. Other bullets I'm considering are Barnes ttsx (believe it's lead free too) and I've read some good stuff on Sierras but no little about them.

I apologize for asking you to repeat your thoughts here as I know this comes up a lot. I've read a good bit of it, but want to get the latest and greatest on rifles that I'm using.

I appreciate your thoughts in advance. I will use this info to make an order soon and get the rifles & my boys sighted in for deer season soon.

Sorry, it's not what you want to hear but perhaps it's time for you and your boys to consider reloading, it opens up a whole new world of options/opportunities and take advantage of high BC premium bullets not available as loaded ammunition.

Just my 2-pence for your thoughts.

Good luck!

Ed

4) 7mag

Ive seen good results from the sst. Complete pass throughs with a fist sized hole out the back side.

When you are using factory ammo, I would choose whatever shoots the best.

Almost any factory ammo in 2016 has a bullet that will work well in the range you discuss, even the old Core-Lokt from Remington. As such, my recommendation is to buy a few different loads for each rifle, each with a different bullet, and take them out shooting. Try each at 100 yards, and if they don't get close to an inch in just 3 shots, forget it. Those that do, try for 200 and beyond. I've done this with several rifles, and there really is no easy - or cheap - way to do it. At $20-50/box, it will be a few hundred dollars for the 4 rifles but you will find a load that will work really well.

I have several types of 270 ammo as I've tested a few of my rifles plus those of others. If you can spread the cost with a friend by each buying some of a box that will help, otherwise you can try and sell off what you don't use and isn't accurate.

Good luck.

4) 7mag

Let's see, you want:

1. A good blood trail.

2. A pass through with broken shoulders which would imply you are going to get both shoulders and also be precise enough to reliably hit both shoulders.

3. You don't reload.

4. You want to be able to do all this at up to 500 yards.

5. You don't like hollow points.

6. You don't want to use the GMX because someone has told you it doesn't perform as well. Pray tell, in what way didn't it perform?

Lots of luck with all that. My prediction is that the only rifle you may be able to do this with is your 7mm Remington Magnum.

Let me point out a few things:

If the animal is DRT, you don't need a good blood trail. If you are good enough to break both shoulders at 500 yards, you should be good enough to make a neck shot. In addition, if you break both shoulders without an exit wound, the animal isn't going anywhere anyhow.

Interesting that I have been able literally to shoot a truck load of animals from Cape Grysbok to Blue Wildebeest and have never worried about all that stuff. I've used hollow points, SSTs, Core Lokts, XTPs, etc. There were a fair munber in which the bullet didn't exit; it didn't matter because the animal was dead. I can also never remember breaking "both shoulders" and I can't bring myself to care.

What have you been reading anyway?

Use the Barnes TTSX. Available in the Vortex ammo. My son used his .243 in Africa a few yrs ago. The PH had him shoot a lechwe at exactly the wrong moment. Another jumped in from.. He killed both with 1 shot. Through the neck of the youngster that jumped in from and all the way through the body on the the bigger one. I used it on my Nyala and got a pass through. Have used a TTSX in a .270 WSM. got over 30 inches of penetration. Used them in a .300 WSM and completely pass through on elk.
Last trip to Africa used Accubonds and had some great results. Kudu and Gemsbuck DRT. If you absolutely want pass throughs use the TTSX's. Bruce

Use the Barnes TTSX. Available in the Vortex ammo. My son used his .243 in Africa a few yrs ago. The PH had him shoot a lechwe at exactly the wrong moment. Another jumped in from.. He killed both with 1 shot. Through the neck of the youngster that jumped in from and all the way through the body on the the bigger one. I used it on my Nyala and got a pass through. Have used a TTSX in a .270 WSM. got over 30 inches of penetration. Used them in a .300 WSM and completely pass through on elk.
Last trip to Africa used Accubonds and had some great results. Kudu and Gemsbuck DRT. If you absolutely want pass throughs use the TTSX's. Bruce

Thank you very much for these responses. This is been very helpful

You've gotten good advice. With factory ammo & rifle at 500 yds, you will be very limited on what ammunition will even hit an animal. I'll limit my suggestions to 250 yds & under (where you do most of your shooting).

SST's are poison on deer, but I would stay fairly heavy for caliber. The 140 grain is my favorite in the .270. My buddy really likes the 139 in the 7mm08. I absolutely love the 162 gr in the 7 mag. They won't exit on a shoulder shot but a deer is DRT. My rifles don't like the Superformance factory ammo at all! Try the regular Hornady custom...

Accubonds are really good killers as well, not as violent & always exit (on deer). The only downside is the "ice pick" effect as velocities get below 2600 fps. This can make blood trailing difficult in a lot of situations. Same goes for Barnes & any of the monolithics I've used. Having said that, I firmly believe light for caliber bonded bullets (driven at peak velocities) are probably the best of both worlds. I've started using them in the timber where all my shots are under 100 yds & so far I'm impressed...
At long distances, I would try to break the shoulders with any bullet...& the bonded & monos do way less meat damage if that's a concern.

Don't have much experience with Bergers, but they certainly seem devastating. I'm a little scared of them at 50 yards or less where I frequently take shots...

FYI...I've found handloading enjoyable & worthwhile. Give it some thought !

I've never done this but a friend of mine sent his rifle to copper creek ammo and had the guy work up a load for it. He said it cost him around $200 for the service. Then you will have custom handloads with a bullet that would fit your needs. And I believe he provides load data if you ever wanted to start loading yourself. Might be worth a look, what you're looking to do is a tall order for a factory load. Good luck!

FYI...I've found handloading enjoyable & worthwhile. Give it some thought !

I was beginning to wonder if I was all alone on this ...

Sorry, it's not what you want to hear but perhaps it's time for you and your boys to consider reloading, it opens up a whole new world of options/opportunities and take advantage of high BC premium bullets not available as loaded ammunition.

Just my 2-pence for your thoughts.

Good luck!

Ed

I was beginning to wonder if I was all alone on this ...

Hand loading does interest me. I'm fairly particular about things and the idea of making my own loads ensuring good quality sounds great. My concern is time. I don't have much of it and fear I will make significant upfront purchase to get started and then not do it.

You've gotten good advice. With factory ammo & rifle at 500 yds, you will be very limited on what ammunition will even hit an animal. I'll limit my suggestions to 250 yds & under (where you do most of your shooting).

I'll very much disagree with this one.

While I do handload, I have often found factory ammo that will easily shoot sub-moa and keep it out to 500 yards. As that's about the furthest I can shoot on the land I have available I don't have data on longer distances. And, I've taken game with this same factory ammo.

As I noted previously, the cost of finding this ammo is needing to try several different types to get the one that works. Once you do, it can work very well.

Hand loading can be ......addictive. I reload for all my rifles. Generally speaking you will get better velocities as well as accuracy. As long as you can find the components it works out very well. After the initial upfront cost the $$ per round is significantly less so you can practice more. If your going to reload I'd hop to it. If Hil wins the election components will disappear again........ Bruce

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.