Bullet choice for backpacking rifle

lurcher

I've been working on putting a short-medium range packable rifle together.

It is a rem model 7 in 7 saum. Mods to date are rifle basix trigger, gretan kit (to replace J-lock). wild cat composite 17 oz stock, TPS rings on warne bases. LeupVXIII 3-10X40 fitted with turrets and b&c reticle. I would guess that all up this rifle will come in around 81/2-9lbs. If the factory barrel does not shoot, I will switch to a custom barrel in the same contour. I am only looking to use it to shoot out to 450 metres (close to 500 yards) or so.

To keep recoil down I am looking at 140-150 grain bullets, I was thinking of trying 140 accubonds, 150 e-tips, maybe 140VLD's. I have read that with heavier VLDs that they are not considered a good short range bullet, how would the 140's work out? Are there other bullet choices in this weight range I should be considering given I am intending to use it anywhere between 30-500 yards.

For 500yds and less the extra velocity of 140gr bullets would be better for your ballistics than the heavy high BC bullets. Bergers usually have the best BC for their weight (among the larger bullet companies) and will likely shoot flatter. The Bergers function well for hunting, but can be picky about seating depth. I have the 7WSM (very simular to yours) and I use the 168 vld's seated about .010" into the lands and they shoot great! My dad uses the 140gr Nosler Accu Bonds and they work great for him in his 280 and 7wsm out to 450yds on game.

I've been working on putting a short-medium range packable rifle together.

It is a rem model 7 in 7 saum. Mods to date are rifle basix trigger, gretan kit (to replace J-lock). wild cat composite 17 oz stock, TPS rings on warne bases. LeupVXIII 3-10X40 fitted with turrets and b&c reticle. I would guess that all up this rifle will come in around 81/2-9lbs. If the factory barrel does not shoot, I will switch to a custom barrel in the same contour. I am only looking to use it to shoot out to 450 metres (close to 500 yards) or so.

To keep recoil down I am looking at 140-150 grain bullets, I was thinking of trying 140 accubonds, 150 e-tips, maybe 140VLD's. I have read that with heavier VLDs that they are not considered a good short range bullet, how would the 140's work out? Are there other bullet choices in this weight range I should be considering given I am intending to use it anywhere between 30-500 yards.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What'cha going to shoot w/ it ?

For deer 140 accubonds -they'll shoot from the magazine -expand and kill well from 30-500yds..

shooting red deer, fallow deer, pigs, and goats. I have purchased som 140 accubonds, haven't tried them yet, just looking at other options in ccase the rifle is finicky with the accubonds.

shooting red deer, fallow deer, pigs, and goats. I have purchased some 140 accubonds, haven't tried them yet, just looking at other options in ccase the rifle is finicky with the accubonds.

I've got a 7mm08AI in a model 7, 8 1/2 lbs all up. Very accurate, very little recoil and I love it. Yours is just a little more of the same. The 140 BT has worked great for me on deer and Feral pigs. Some like the 120BT for deer. It might not be the best at 500 yds but inside 400 I'm sure it would kill like lighting. Someone was bragging about the 117 sierra GK in a 25-06 lately for deer. Find the right 120 in your RUSM, and it will be at least as good.

But if you are stepping up to elk, I'd consider the 140 accubond as a minimum. The 150 Etip or 160 accubond should be at least as good.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.