Are the prices ever coming down on components?!

Prices will never come down on anything as long as people keep paying these high prices. I've quit building my new home, after I used up all the materials I had purchased before March of 2020, due to quadrupling prices on materials. I have it closed in, without interior walls, because 2x4's went from $1.32ea to over $8. 15/32 OSB from $9 to $47. Other materials followed along with their prices.
I have a budget for building that I can't exceed so, unless prices drop, I'll never finish it and live the rest of my life in a 45ft trailer home.
I'm in a similar situation. Bought land with the intention of building a rather nice house. I haven't even started construction because of the prices. If you could design the worst time to build....it'd be right now.
I'll evaluate this project next year. Patience is a virtue.

I was passing thru a town and seen a Gun Store. Stopped in to look around and see if I'd luck out and find primers. They had plenty. And they'll keep plenty

Attachments

• A8147CD2-9F73-4CF4-872D-BB75DA0318BE.jpeg
    A8147CD2-9F73-4CF4-872D-BB75DA0318BE.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 126
I don't think we understand how much the military and law enforcement and other countries use. We (reloaders/hunters) seem to think we have a larger impact on price than we do. We seem to think we can control the price by not buying. The demand from those agencies is not going to change when we hit a recession. We are so misguided by our own lack of knowledge. We need to do what is best for each individual and our own budgets. Don't get mad at the guy stocking up and don't get mad at the guy who can't shoot cause he don't pay up.

Supply & demand. We've had a pandemic, supply issues, and a lack of truckers conflicts in the world which all have helped make us so "gun shy" about anything, it's scary. We have a President that killed a pipeline from Canada, and canceled drilling in our country, in favor of begging the Arab nations and Venezuela to produce more oil. We've had riots in several areas of the country that have prompted a whole bunch of new shooters and prospective ammo purchasers. Simple economics says if I can make "X" dollars selling components or 5x dollars selling ammunition, any business exec worth his paycheck will opt for the ammo sales. I'm afraid the days of reasonably priced components are in the rearview mirror. About the only way, I save on reloading is with my handguns, at least I can cast my own projectiles. My 1st new car was a 66 Mustang which I paid under $7K, now transmissions costs that much.

Been buying stuff out of auctions for years. I'm a collector and have a ton of ammo, but don't shoot much. I don't reload, but have a bunch of components and tools, and could if I ever ran out of the factory stuff... I also picked up a bunch of that Wise 25 year prepper food when I found it... Have enough to keep the family going for a couple of years...
Maybe I wasn't so dumb after all... :cool:
As far as prices coming down it'll take years. They go up over night but from past experience it takes forever for them to come back down, and never to pre-panic prices...
After high school I left L.A. for Denver I paid 20.9¢ a gal when I tanked up. Almost had a heart attack when I heard gas was 36¢-37¢ a gallon in Denver... Love to tell the story...
My 2¢

Last edited:
I was passing thru a town and seen a Gun Store. Stopped in to look around and see if I'd luck out and find primers. They had plenty. And they'll keep plenty
I wonder what they paid for them wholesale. Not to many years ago, I bought .223/5.56 ammo for that or less than that even though I had some stocked up. I bought ammo for less than the price of the components counting the brass. Not counting the brass, I was paying 18 cents a round for the bullet, powder, and primer. IT WAS NOT ECONOMICAL TO RELOAD. Now it's still not economical to reload or shoot. ANYTHING. .22LR selling for more than fifty dollars for a brick. I don't shoot any more for "fun". Replacing ammo is too expensive.

Powder has come down in price and is now more available than last year.The cheapest I have seen primers is $65 a K and they sold out fast.I have been able to buy primers at a local farm supply store for $5.75 per hundred and a limit of 200.So me and the wife each buy our limit when they are in stock.Right now it is too late to worry about what you have to pay.Hindsight is always better than foresight.

Seems a lot of folks here don't pay attention to the news. -Makes it easier to blame democrats. But remember when covid started making strides here in the U.S.? Minds brighter than mine predicted that it would create hiccups in our supply chain, causing all sorts of mayhem. As well as making inflation rear its ugly head. Now to add to the mix, the war in Ukraine will disrupt our food chain (with estimates being as high as 40% of the ammo sold in the USA being Russian). Back when I was a kid, sportsmanship applied to hunters and shooters as well. Nowadays, all I find are scalpers trying to make a buck off me. What happened to looking out for your neighbor? Now might be a good time to re-learn that. Or we're all sunk from greed and profiteers.

This is ridiculous! Triple or quadruple on primers! Powder prices have at least doubled!
And this stuff sells out in seconds. As long as we line up like suckers and scream "please take my money" no matter the cost, these prices will never normalize. Get a decent amount that you actually "need" and stop hoarding people, please!
Amen. We've all been paying "Ammo tax" since this whole Covid drama began?! 🙄