Practicing in times when components are scarce

Just put a piece of fired brass in the chamber if it worries you🙄
Brass works for several dry fire iterations, but then "punches" the primer into submission and loses the benefit. Snap caps being spring loaded strike surface provide continuous benefit. Can also replace fired primer in brass by a small rubber plug.

Used to do the same thing, a dime on the front sight of a revolver, don't need the second person, when you can drop the hammer single hand hold and the dime stays on yer good!

I do the same thing with a Gamo air rifle. It's cheap and pellets are plentiful. It even has a little recoil to it.
Springer designs are the hardest to shoot consistently in air rifles. Takes a lot of concentration and perfect form to make little holes...good practice.

Springer designs are the hardest to shoot consistently in air rifles. Takes a lot of concentration and perfect form to make little holes...good practice.
There are some inexpensive PCP airguns on the market today, that will out shoot some of the best Springers. Rick is right, they are very difficult to shoot accurately and very hard on scopes. There are very few scope manufacturers that warrant their scopes for use on a Springer. We have a few guys in our club that have some very high end Springers, that shoot very well. They use them for hunting small game. When it's time to punch holes in paper, they shift back to their PCPs. The PCP rifles require an air source, usually a carbon fiber reinforced tank, that can be filled to 4500 psi. Most PCPs operate at a max of 3000 psi. An entry level, but reasonably accurate PCP airgun costs from $300 to $1000, and can provide thousands of rounds of enjoyable shooting. They can be shot out to 100 yds, which is comparable to 500 yds with most hunting rifles. This is I save precious powder, primers and bullets. I get realistic practice, without recoil, noise or smoke. However, I really do miss that!!

A rimfire to match your other rifle is economical. and fun.....

IMG_3828_zpspzrt4u22.jpg

IMG_7340.JPG
Not so sure I'd want to get that close to that striped kitty even if he is dead. LMAO!!

I have a batt action in my wolf precision rifle that they made for me and they HIGHLY recommends DRY firing my gun to practice my skills. I like the coin ides, I'll have to try that next time. I have a cross hair marked on my shop door and I set up about 20 yrds from it like you said, table, front stand, rear bag, work on breathing, trigger control, and calling my shots when the shot goes off.
thanks for sharing.

Dry firing is a great idea. but I practiced it more for competition shooting and training than anything else. I'll probably continue to shoot, but pick my shots more carefully. Take my time and try to make my shots count. I'll spend more time at the range dry firing, get my set up routine more stream lined, and working on my mental focus. It's a bit different for me since I'm out of practice. So while my volume of shooting will be much lower than in the past when components were plentiful, I'll probably will be shooting slightly more this year than in the past 5 years. If that makes sense.

Shooting less, but shooting more? No, that don't make sense.... think about it.
You should probably read the end more carefully.
So while my volume of shooting will be much lower than in the past when components were plentiful, I'll probably will be shooting slightly more this year than in the past 5 years. If that makes sense.

I do the same thing with a Gamo air rifle. It's cheap and pellets are plentiful. It even has a little recoil to it.

I had never noticed the recoil on my Gamo until I was teaching my 5 YO how to shoot soda cans in the back yard. Lop was way too long so he had the stock under his arm and to my surprise got his very first popped soda can and the darn scope left a nice little red ring around his eye :)

Dry firing is a great idea. but I practiced it more for competition shooting and training than anything else. I'll probably continue to shoot, but pick my shots more carefully. Take my time and try to make my shots count. I'll spend more time at the range dry firing, get my set up routine more stream lined, and working on my mental focus. It's a bit different for me since I'm out of practice. So while my volume of shooting will be much lower than in the past when components were plentiful, I'll probably will be shooting slightly more this year than in the past 5 years. If that makes sense.
Makes since to me. The biggest hangup people have is they think they have to fire a round down range to count as a shot. And i agree it is the end result but I'm learning there are other ways and sometimes better ways because it really makes you force on whats happening through the whole shot process.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.