Are the .338s becoming pointless?

Seems like every bullet manufacturer besides Berger had there numbers incorrect for sometime. Hornady uses a better system as does Sierra today. Nosler seems to still have some trouble getting there numbers right. I don't really care what published numbers are. I seem to get the numbers real close after testing myself. Sure It helps if using a ballistic calculator but not necessary. After testing, I can see how close the manufacturers are with there numbers.
Yes sir totally agree.

But where is the data? There is no data other than here say. Brian Litz has no data on this and there is no Doppler radar verification. I thank I'm going about this this wrong. I might be asking the question wrong as well.
I've not seen anything test wise besides my personal data based on drop and windage from 800-1600 yards. Those numbers are pretty spot on. It's not scientific but it is reliable IMO for my needs

I was astonished this is a topic. IMO, the only place the 338 is pointless is in the ELR competition ring, distances are past the capabilities. Unless caliber classes are made.
[/QUOTE I have shot a 338 Lapua just shy of 3800 meters. Just over 4100 yards. The 338 Lapua has more than proven itself to me in combat situations. I probably wouldn't be here if it was not for my rifle and our combined capabilities. Are we talking 5 miles or just 2 miles? A lot of people feel 2 miles is ELR. I thank after 2 miles is when you start to put your skills to the test.

I've not seen anything test wise besides my personal data based on drop and windage from 800-1600 yards. Those numbers are pretty spot on. It's not scientific but it is reliable IMO for my needs
Agree. I all ways get my date in the field. Match my bullet impact with my scope elevation and cosine indicator for the angle. When that bullet hits it's target The truth comes out.

Agree. I all ways get my date in the field. Match my bullet impact with my scope elevation and cosine indicator for the angle. When that bullet hits it's target The truth comes out.
I cannot seem to quote your other post, but Thanks for your service and I am glad the 338 came through. I'd shoot one too, esp an improved version, I like doing it with smaller stuff though. 2 miles is out for me at the moment, lol

I cannot seem to quote your other post, but Thanks for your service and I am glad the 338 came through. I'd shoot one too, esp an improved version, I like doing it with smaller stuff though. 2 miles is out for me at the moment, lol
I like the underdog myself. I love it when someone tells me it's impossible or it can't be done. After that point I'm ALL IN. Her is a 4 shot group just shy of 2300 yards with a 260 Remington and 140 grain Berger bullets. Was in Brawley California visiting family. Was one of those moments when I was told it can't be done. LoL

Attachments

• C0E9A2F8-9F1B-418C-AAFC-CE871F154317.jpeg
    C0E9A2F8-9F1B-418C-AAFC-CE871F154317.jpeg
    639.9 KB · Views: 100
  • 81003F41-47D1-4844-8E6E-CD3E1125D7AB.jpeg
    81003F41-47D1-4844-8E6E-CD3E1125D7AB.jpeg
    572.9 KB · Views: 103
I have been running the 270 bulldozer out of my .338 Norma mag this season. As far as data, I personally know a fellow long range shooter using Badlands 265 grain solid elr bullet, and has used a .475 G7 to make impacts out to over 3000 yards. He has an 8 twist in his .338 Tejas I believe. I personally am using a .407 G7 with the 270's. I was sceptical of the advertised bc as well, but decided to try them. I can't afford doplar, or Bryan Litz (no disrespect to either), but I have verified drops out to 1153 yards so far. Got my velocity from a magnetospeed, zeroed at 100, converted the advertised .803 G1 bc to .407 G7, then shot out to range using my .338 Norma mag topped with a March 2.5-25 optic. 3 shot groups at 700 and change (pictured below) and 1153 were under half MOA, and perfect elevation. Shot several more times ranging from 500 to 800, and drops were all spot on. Confirmed on a pronghorn at 661 a couple days ago too, so I feel the bc's are pretty close. You may have to adjust slightly, I have had to do it with Berger bullets too, but they are gonna be pretty close. I haven't shot farther than that, as this is mainly a hunting rig, but I will eventually stretch it out further. Thats why we field test, as you stated.

20200725_204953.jpg

For more information you can check out this thread too -

Last edited:
I like the underdog myself. I love it when someone tells me it's impossible or it can't be done. After that point I'm ALL IN. Her is a 4 shot group just shy of 2300 yards with a 260 Remington and 140 grain Berger bullets. Was in Brawley California visiting family. Was one of those moments when I was told it can't be done. LoL
I have been running the 270 bulldozer out of my .338 Norma mag this season. As far as data, I personally know a fellow long range shooter using Badlands 265 grain solid elr bullet, and has used a .475 G7 to make impacts out to over 3000 yards. He has an 8 twist in his .338 Tejas I believe. I personally am using a .407 G7 with the 270's. I was sceptical of the advertised bc as well, but decided to try them. I can't afford doplar, or Bryan Litz (no disrespect to either), but I have verified drops out to 1153 yards so far. Got my velocity from a magnetospeed, zeroed at 100, converted the advertised .803 G1 bc to .407 G7, then shot out to range using my .338 Norma mag topped with a March 2.5-25 optic. 3 shot groups at 700 and change (pictured below) and 1153 were under half MOA, and perfect elevation. Shot several more times ranging from 500 to 800, and drops were all spot on. Confirmed on a pronghorn at 661 a couple days ago too, so I feel the bc's are pretty close. You may have to adjust slightly, I have had to do it with Berger bullets too, but they are gonna be pretty close. Thats why we field test, as you stated.

View attachment 213147

No disrespect taken sir. I mite have to give them a try.

I have been running the 270 bulldozer out of my .338 Norma mag this season. As far as data, I personally know a fellow long range shooter using Badlands 265 grain solid elr bullet, and has used a .475 G7 to make impacts out to over 3000 yards. He has an 8 twist in his .338 Tejas I believe. I personally am using a .407 G7 with the 270's. I was sceptical of the advertised bc as well, but decided to try them. I can't afford doplar, or Bryan Litz (no disrespect to either), but I have verified drops out to 1153 yards so far. Got my velocity from a magnetospeed, zeroed at 100, converted the advertised .803 G1 bc to .407 G7, then shot out to range using my .338 Norma mag topped with a March 2.5-25 optic. 3 shot groups at 700 and change (pictured below) and 1153 were under half MOA, and perfect elevation. Shot several more times ranging from 500 to 800, and drops were all spot on. Confirmed on a pronghorn at 661 a couple days ago too, so I feel the bc's are pretty close. You may have to adjust slightly, I have had to do it with Berger bullets too, but they are gonna be pretty close. I haven't shot farther than that, as this is mainly a hunting rig, but I will eventually stretch it out further. Thats why we field test, as you stated.

View attachment 213147

FPS with the 270 grain bullets around 2750-2800? Don't know your length of barrel so I know it can differ.

FPS with the 270 grain bullets around 2750-2800? Don't know your length of barrel so I know it can differ.
I'm running them at 2830 using VV-N570, out of a 24" barrel. Ran them up to 2900 and change, and while I didn't show any pressure signs other than a slight primer crater, it was probably a pretty high pressure load, and it also shot fantastic at 2830.

I'm running them at 2830 using VV-N570, out of a 24" barrel. Ran them up to 2900 and change, and while I didn't show any pressure signs other than a slight primer crater, it was probably a pretty high pressure load, and it also shot fantastic at 2830.
Those Bulldogs look just like Alco bullets. I wonder if there is any correlation.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts