The Raptors are ready!!!!

Congratulations on becoming a precision action manufacturer and such a great product announcement. Excellent pictures, comparisons and product knowledge. Best of luck.

Kirby, the pics of the Raptor are wonderful! However, they just dont do the action justice. The Raptor is so much more impressive in person. And "slick", oh my, that is one of the slickest working actions I have ever felt. All that goes to the reason I ordered the first Stalker version! I cant wait.

Jim

Great looking action Kirby, I wish I would have waited on ordering the Stiller Tac338 for the build you'll be doing for me... Maybe I'll see about selling that action and using one of yours? The only problem I see is the McMillan HTG stock i ordered is inletted for the Stiller action. I'd sure like to upgrade I think.

Well, I already need to make a correction. When we were designing the Raptor, I requested that the bolt handle be welded to the bolt body for a much stronger bond then a brazed on bolt.

Well, to my suprise, My manufacturer contacted me and corrected me. The bolts are one piece bolts, no welds, no brazings, solid steel. To get this feature makes the Raptor an even better value for the investment.

The original Nesika Bay bolts were one piece bolts. I do not believe that is the case with current Nesika Bolts but can not say for sure.

Again, to make the correction, the Raptor has a solid one piece bolt.

JedLowe,

Old friend, good to hear from you.

The Raptor Stalker will be fitted with either a McMillan BDL or Manner MCS-T, either made with carbon fiber shell. Custom contour barrel which will be similiar to the LRSS barrel contour but with a shank length that is roughly half as long 4" compared to 8" and with a 1.250" diameter instead of the 1.350" for the LRSS.

The contour will also be much lighter. The LRSS contour is similiar to a Lilja #8 whereas the Stalker will be similiar to a #4 in 7mm calibers and #5 in larger calibers.

The tapered section of barrel will be fluted but unlike the LRSS which has a fluted shank, the Stalker will have an unfluted shank.

Triggers will be Jewell on both models.

The LRSS will have a medium PK brake. The Stalker will be fitted with a Small PK.

To get under 9 lbs, a set of light weight rings will be used such as the NF Tactical Ultralights and a lighter weight scope will need to be used such as a Leupold Mk4 or something similiar.

With a NF scope the rifle would likely be a bit heavier then 9 lbs.

Hope this helps some.

Kirby,

Wow that was fast. Thanks for the quick reply. I guess then when I get the action, which should be any day now I'll put it up for sale and buy your action. Man I'm excited now. Thanks again. I can't wait to get this build going. I'll email you when I get the action to double check my parts list as I have all along.

Thanks again Kirby,

Boman aka Michael Montoya

To pair with the new berger 338 bullet, what is the largest or optimum 338 cartridge for the raptor?

Nice looking hardware. Does it have a raceway for bolt alignment and a groove in one of the lugs?

L_L

The weight of the complete Raptor is 35 oz so its pretty heavy but thats by design. For comparision, the Nesika Model M is 31 oz and Borden Timberline comes in at 28.5 oz.

No way around it, you need steel for what I wanted and that adds a bit of weight but in my opinion, for what the receiver is designed for its well worth it.

I hope this isn't to dumb a question. I am very interested in the Raptor for a dedicated long range rifle build. Trying to decided between 3 calibers - 338 rum, Edge or Lapua. If I get the bolt for the Rum/Edge and later decide to do the Lapua is it just a matter of opening up the bolt face?

MN Hunter,

Its not quite that easy with the Raptor as its not that easy with most of the custom receivers because of the extractor. In the case of the Raptor, it has a pinned in M-16 style extractor. The bolt is machined so the extractor is positioned correctly for the specific rim size used in that receiver.

So if you open up the bolt face, the extractor would be to deep and would stub on the case head. Its possible the extractor could be modified but that would also weaken it.

If your interested in the Edge but think you may want to step up later to something bigger, why not just go with the 338 Lapua, exactly the same performance as the Edge in the factory 338 Lapua offering but if you decide to later, you can step up to the improved versions such as my 338 Allen Xpress and get another 125 to 150 fps with same bullet weights. That is what I would recommend.

That said, I have built many rifles on receivers with lapua bolt faces that worked flawlessly with RUM class chamberings even though the bolt face is larger then it needs to be. In fact I just shipped a rifle last week for a customer that had ordered a Nesika Bay model M with Lapua bolt face but he changed his mind to the Edge and it works perfectly well. If you did not put the calipers to the bolt face diameter, you would never know the receiver was not made for the smaller rim diameter.

Kirby,
Since the the .338 AM won't work with this what would be the best performing cartridge that will work? .338 AX or is there something better in that .338 caliber that will be better?

The 338 AX is about the highest performing round that will fit in the Raptor. Its not the largest capacity, that would be the 338-378 or 338 Kahn which have around 10 grains more capacity then the AX.

That said, the Lapua case will handle chamber pressures much higher then the Wby brass which the other two rounds are based on and as such will match or exceed these larger rounds with same bullet weights in same length barrels. I am not talking about loading the 338 AX to dangerous pressures, I am talking 68,000 psi which is a comfortable load in the Lapua case but in the Wby or Norma case it will loose primer pockets quickly.

Depending on barrel length you would see just shy of 3000 fps up to just off 3100 fps with a 300 gr SMK class bullet. Again, without jumping up to the 408 class wildcats, its about the top of the pile for 338 magnum performance. Plus, you have the option to shoot standard 338 Lapua ammo through your rifle and that generally shoots to 1/2 moa accuracy as well, just with a drop in performance.

Any of the improved versions of the 338 Lapua would get this same level of performance.

Highest performance is not always the BEST choice however, depends on how you will be using the rifle and you need to consider the reloading aspect of a wildcat and if it fits with what you are comfortable with and want to do. The 338 AX is certainly not hard to load for, just costs a bit more if you want fully formed brass.

To sweaten the deal possibly, I am working on getting correct headstamped brass for the 338 Allen Xpress as well made from Jamison. I have tested their 338 Lapua brass and it will handle the same loads I am using with the lapua brand brass and accuracy and consistancy has been very impressive so far. Not a done deal but pretty close.

Hope this helps.

Kirby,
I wish to add my compliments on your gorgeous work.
Maybe in the next century the world will be changed and even the italian shooters will be lucky enough to get such kind of masterpieces directly from the USA with no need of import licence !!!
MAF

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.