The Raptors are ready!!!!

Fiftydriver

Official LRH Sponsor
To all.

I know alot of you have been waiting with great interest for this post, well, its finally time. We finalized on the gen II Raptor receiver this week and I must say that I am extremely happy with the results and the receiver has turned out to meet or exceed all of my hopes and dreams. Now its time to share the Raptor with you.

P5120396.jpg

P5120398.jpg

Looks like the camera picked up fine particals off the polishing cloth!!!

So whats different about the Raptor that you can not get with other receivers on the market, well, let me show you and give you some examples. From top to bottom, APS Raptor, Nesika Bay Model M and BAT HRPIC. In my opinion, these other two receivers offer the Raptor the closest head to head competition for the heart of a long range precision rifle.

P5120389.jpg

The first thing you will notice is the dramatically stretched threaded section of the receiver ahead of the bolt head. The thread on the Raptor is 1.100"x16 tpi which is roughly 40 thousandths larger then the Nesika Model M. This is simply because, the larger diameter the threaded barrel shank, the stronger that portion of barrel will be. The length if the thread is also MUCH longer then the Nesika and even more so compared to the BAT. Again, this is designed to support HEAVY, LONG barrels with better stability then the other receivers. Compared to other custom but conventional receivers, all three are far superior but the Raptor has the ability to handle longer and heavier barrels then any other receiver in its class. That being, a receiver that will comfortably fit into Rem 700 Long Action inlettings.

P5120391.jpg

The main design goal of the Raptor is strength!!! Here are the bolt heads for the same three receivers, the Raptor on left, Nesika Model M middle and BAT HRPIC on right. As you can see, the Raptor bolt lugs are dramatically longer and have a higher shear strength then either of the other two which are basically the same. The bold body on the Raptor is also larger in diameter. A true 0.750" diameter compared to around 0.725" for the other two.

P5120390.jpg

The Raptor is also designed for those rounds that perform best at long range for serious long range precision hammering. Many of these rounds are very long and use heavy bullets that we want to seat out. As such, I designed the Raptor to easily use any magazine length up to the 4.000" Seekins but it also works equally well with the standard length boxes such as the HS Precision DM system. You can see in the above picture that the Raptor bolt is much longer then even the Nesika Model M bolt and the bolt throw is also longer to easily swallow any length ammunition you want to use.

P5120395.jpg

Again, for added strength, reliability and safety. The Raptor bolt is fitted with a Badger Ord pinned in M-16 style extractor. No way it can blow out and strength wise, there are really no better.

There are also new features inside the Raptor that make it unique.

P5120399.jpg

Again, the Raptor is designed for strength. Here are the same three receivers, Raptor on left, Nesika middle and BAT on right. If you look at the inside of the ejection port at the feed ramp location, this becomes obvious. The weakest link in a repeating receiver is the support of the bottom bolt lug as there is really not much steel behind the bolt lug and the mag well cut. If you look at the Raptor feed ramp, there is easily 3 times the amount of full diameter steel between the end of the feed ramp and the drop off for the bolt lug support surface. Save a solid bottom single shot receiver, this is the strongest receiver in its class. The idea is to totally eliminate bolt compression or receiver flexing under recoil!!!

P5120406.jpg

Here is another aspect of strength. BAT on top, Nesika middle and Raptor on bottom. Looking at the bolt knobs. All of these receivers have very strong bolt handles for sure but I wanted the Raptor to have even more bolt strength. As such, the bolt handle is welded on, not brazed. This is basically as strong as a solid one piece bolt but much less costly to manufacture. Also, if you look at the diameter of the bolt just ahead of the bolt knob on each bolt, the Raptor is MUCH larger in diameter, again, just adds to strength. The handle portion is much beefier as well, all designed for strength and bullet proof performance. The larger bolt knob works great for getting ahold of in a hurry yet its not so obvious that it hangs up on everything that gets around it like some tactical bolt handles can. Also, it sticks out JUST enough from the stock body to make gripping the bolt easy but again, not standing 3" off the stock!!!

P5120397.jpg

Like everything else, there is alot of steel in the bolt stop. More then enough to fully support the bolt even during very aggressive bolt working.

P5120404.jpg

In an ideal world, I would have preferred to have an integral rail base and recoil lug machined into the receiver but because of very high set up costs, this simply was not practical so we did the next best thing and in my opinion, this system is just as bullet proof as any rail base design, including integral. The rail system is the only feature of the Raptor that will likely change on production receivers as it will be a full length rail which actually cantilevers over the top of the recoil lug. This will give a longer rail then pretty much any on the market right now for easy use of up to 4 rings as well as rail mounted accessaries such as ACIs and levels. The Rail is mounted solidly to the receiver with 6(six), 8-40 mounting bolts but it is also pinned with three steel pins to insure that NOTHING moves even with the heaviest recoiling chamberings, most efficent muzzle brakes and heaviest scopes on the rails. The recoil lug is also double pinned in the same manor as the Nesika Model M receivers.

P5120394.jpg

Another view of the three receivers. If you look at the bolt handle position of each receiver you can see the difference in bolt throw length between the three as all have the same "Closed Bolt" position. The Raptors bolt throw is nearly 1/2" longer then the other two.

Everything is also stainless steel on the Raptor, no aluminum rails, no aluminum bolt shrouds, no aluminum bolt handles. ALL STAINLESS STEEL!!!! The Raptor is not designed for an ultra light rifle, its made for serious, long and extreme range precision rifles. That does not mean it can not be used in a portable rifle. This receiver in the pictures will be used to build a Raptor Stalker rifle which will weigh in at under 9 lbs ready to hunt with. Not a light weight but same weight class as a Rem 700 BDL sporter rifle and I know of a few of those that are considered packing rifles.

Other features of the Raptor are.

- Bolt fit is quality but not overly tight. The reason for this is so that the receiver can be used in any conditions without any binding problems yet offer tolerances that are plenty tight for precision accuracy out of the rifle. Also, it allows the bolt body to be coated with pretty much any common coating material without binding in the bolt body such is relatively common with some other receivers that lock up extremely tightly. The BAT has this issue alot.

- Same bolt footprint as a Rem 700 Long Action and uses same bottom metal as the Rem 700. The Raptor is designed to be used as a single shot with solid bottom or with a Detachable Magazine system as the ejection port is very long but not overly wide so loading a top load mag box with fat cartridges would be a problem. Again, the solid top strap on the receiver was desired for added strength over the ability to top feed a magazine box.

- Firing pin spring is a very stout 28 lb spring and firing pin is lightened as much as possible without giving up any strength. This offers the fastest lock time possible.

- Uses any Rem 700 trigger, All the Raptor LRSS and Stalker rifles will have Jewell triggers installed.

Now it comes to price. I wanted to offer the Raptor receiver because I wanted to offer certain features that I felt were needed for a true precision rifle receiver. I believe this goal has been accomplished and at a very reasonable price. If you look at the cost of the receivers compared to the Raptor in this report, your looking at the following. This is for receiver, rail and recoil lug and shipping to your FFL holder in the lower 48(available out of lower 48 but shipping may be more):

BAT HRPIC...................$1375
Nesika Model M...........$1825
APS Raptor..................$1375
Stiller TAC338..............$1065 (Aluminum rail base, Not Pinned)

So price wise, its identical to the BAT HRPIC but offers many more features that make it better suited for a precision extreme range rifle receiver. The Raptor offers several unique features compared to the Nesika Model M Tactical as well yet is still $450 less in cost without giving up any quality of any kind.

The Raptor is roughly $300 more then the Stiller TAC338 but I would classify the Stiller as an upper end ecomony line of custom receiver which is not a slap to that maker as they are fine receivers. For fit and finish and squareness you just can not compare them to the others in this list but it gives you an idea on price from the upper ecomony line to the top end, a $300 investment is not all that much for the additional features you would get with the Raptor.

The Raptor will be available with standard magnum/RUM bolt face as well as Lapua/Rigby size bolt face. Rail bases can be orders in the standard 20 moa or in custom cants if wanted. A left hand receiver is also in the making right now and should be available in a month or so.

So as of right now, 05-12-10, the Raptor is ready for orders. Time frame should be DRAMATICALLY less then any of the manufacturers listed above.

Sorry for the long wait which has been years in the making but I think it turned out best in the end. The Raptors are also available for sale as loose receivers that you can have your smith build a rifle on. They work in standard Rem 700 inletted stocks with minimal modification, namely, a recoil lug slot needs to be cut farther forward then a Rem 700 and then the old lug recess filled with solid bedding compound. The only stocks that will not work with the Raptor that are inletted for a Rem 700 are the ultralight stocks that contour down very narrow, very quickly on the forend. The HS Precision stocks can also be used but because of their aluminum skeleton inlayed in the stock, they are a bit more involved to inlet for. With a milling machine, no problem at all.

All rifles built on the Raptor receiver should be pillar bedded if applicable or skim bedded if using HS stocks. I will also be sending Manners Composite stocks and McMillan samples of the Raptor and my Raptor barrel contours so that they will be doing complete, drop in, inletting for my Raptor LRSS and Stalker rifles soon.

I am very excited about the new Raptor receivers. If your looking for a world class receiver for a long or extreme range rifle, you could not do better then the Raptor. This is the sole reason this receiver was designed and it was designed from the ground up for this purpose.

Good description, photos, and explanation. Thanks for the "latest" information on these 'Raptor' receivers Kirby.

Congrats. It's really amazing what can be achieved when you work only 40 hours a week, Kirby. :D

Absolutely awsome work Kirby. When i decide to build my true extreme range rifle, i will be ordering one of these in the left handed set up (I'm sure you'll have the left hand available LONG before i am ready to start my build).

You had to know this question was coming. With the .750" bolt head, the 1.100" thread and the improved lower bolt lug support would you consider trying to squeeze a 338AM into this action?

Last edited:
Hired Gun,

Yes I was expecting this question and no the 408 CT class chamberings will not work in this Raptor because the receiver thread needs to be AT LEAST 1.185" in diameter and I would prefer to see 1.250" in diameter.

That said, I already have plans for another Raptor in the plans specifically for the 408 CT class receivers. It will have a 1.470" diameter and roughly the same length as the BAT 1.55x8.5" single shot receiver. This will result in a lighter option for the 408 CT class rifles.

Fifty,

Is the Nesika a one piece SS bolt with brazed handle, or is that a two-piece? From the pics, it looks like it might be a two piece bolt like the Rem 700 with a CM head.

I know that the BAT HRPIC uses a one piece CM bolt with SS handle. With the extra strength of the CM, would it be similar in strength characteristics to a .750 SS bolt?

BTW, is that my bead blasted HRPIC in your pics? :)

Edit: Fifty, could you compare/contrast pinned recoil lugs vs. integrally machined as the HRPIC has? Are the action threads cut into both the integral and pinned lugs, or just one or the other and what does this matter one way or the other?

That is one impressive hunk of SS you have there. If that'd been available a year ago...

Last edited:
Fifty:
I don't want to hijack this thread, but could PM me, please? I need some info about a muzzle brake for a .338 Lapua, and I haven't been able to reach you by e-mail.
Thanks.

Kirby,

When you say the stalker version will be weighing in at 9 lbs ready to hunt with, are you referring to just the rifle, or the scoped rifle? Looks awesome!

Thanks,
Jed

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.