AR caliber and make advise

I'll throw in a vote for either the Grendel or the LBC. BIG fan of the 6.5 due to the bullet selection. I've built more than a dozen of them and every one has been a 1/2 MOA rifle. I even built on on the CZ 527 carbine 7.62X39 rifle for my daughter's first deer rifle. It is a great caliber for the AR platform. I know of two deer killed with one of the grendel's I built that were shot a hair over 300 yards and they both dropped within 40 yards with solid lung shots.

Either the 6.8SPC II or the 6.5G will work for you just fine.

My opinion is that the 6.8 will work a little better for hunting than the 6.5 due to bullet availability.

Ammo availability will be much greater for the 6.8. There are more people making 6.8 ammo than there are for the 6.5G.

As far as components go, there are 30+ bullets you can use in the 6.8 to handload with from 85g to 130g.

Neither one is going to be cheap to shoot.

Recoil is going to be very manageable with either.

Made the choice this morning. I ordered a Bison Armory 6.8 SPC 18in Recon upper, with a lowpro block, and free-float YHM forearm. It should be here in a couple weeks. Now I just have to figure out what furniture will make it feel the most like a bolt gun:D. Thanx again for all the input guys. If you've got a good stock recommendation, I'm all ears.
Cody

I am also in the process of building a 6mmx45. There is some factory ammo made by Blackhills and maybe others. I am using reloads due to price and available brass. Might be a little light for what you want.

As far as the receivers upper or lower any decent quality will be fine. They really just hold the parts. Good barrel and good trigger and you will be good to go.

I know I am late to the party and you have already placed your order, but thought I'd add my two cents anyways in case someone else comes along checking out your thread.

I purchased a Remington R-15 in .30 Remington AR (.30 RAR) last year for hunting use. Bought it for deer, antelope, pigs and coyotes. I absolutely LOVE this cartridge. It comes in 4 different factory loads from Remington and can be reloaded with any .308 cal bullets up to 165gr (maybe heavier with testing). It is basically a .450 Bushmaster case necked down to .308 caliber. It basically resembles a .30BR. There is someone that has already necked this case down to 6.5mm as well. I want one of those.

I used mine to bag my deer this past year in Colorado and it performed flawlessly. 109yards and he was dead in his tracks. Collapsed on the spot with a double-lung shot.

My rifle with Nikon:

1cd9359f.jpg

That is a 7mm-08 on the left, a .223rem on the right and 3 different .30 RAR loads in the middle.
photo2.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.