AR caliber and make advise

I just took another look at the Stag site. They are showing a different lower for the 6.8 than the 5.56. What's the difference? I thought the point of the 6.8 was that it fit a standard 5.56 lower.

The difference is the imprinted caliber label. Dimensionally the same its just labeled 6.8.

The 6.8 SPC uses a standard 5.56 lower. There is not a receiver specific to the 6.8.

Does anyone other than Alexander make an upper in the grendel?

Thanx guys,
Cody

Les Baer makes a .264 LB upper that is guaranteed to shoot .5 moa or better. I haven't tried it, but I've read that the catridges (6.5 grendel and 264 LB) are the same, but the chambers are cut a little different.

I mention it because I think it is worth looking into if you are thinking about going the grendel route, however I haven't looked any further into it and don't intend to unless I get the urge for another AR project.

Les Baer Custom Inc.

You might be able to check with Mark at Short Action Customs | Your Foundation for Precision as well, I've seen some of his 6.5 AR's on the web.

Happy Hunting

You might look into the 6mm/223 (6x45). It uses the standard .223/5.56 AR mags, the same bolt as the .223/5.56 since it is a .223 necked up to .243.

It will handle hunting bullets up to 100/105 grains as long as you use a 1:9 twist.

I am building one right now.

You might look into the 6mm/223 (6x45). It uses the standard .223/5.56 AR mags, the same bolt as the .223/5.56 since it is a .223 necked up to .243.

It will handle hunting bullets up to 100/105 grains as long as you use a 1:9 twist.

I am building one right now.
I hadn't even thought about something along those lines. I'd kinda like something that I don't always have to handload for. But then again, the way ammo seems to vanish with any AR, handloads will probably be all I can afford to shoot anyway.
Thanx
Cody

I have a double star match gun witch I like. but as far as caliber I dont think I have seen .243 wssm or the .25 wssm. just a idea

If you are going to build your own AR go with the Stiller Predator lower one of the best if not the best on the market and there are 3 calibers to check out 6.5 Grendel,6.8 SPCII & the 7.62 x 40 Wilson caliber anyone of these will be good for hunting with the 6.5 having the longest reach and the 6.8 SPCII being an awsome caliber can't say anything yet about the Wilson caliber as I don't have an upper with that yet and of course if you don't handload all 3 are available to purchase already from a few sources. Don't forget to save for good optics as well as you can't hit what you can't see just my.02 worth!

If you are going to build your own AR go with the Stiller Predator lower one of the best if not the best on the market and there are 3 calibers to check out 6.5 Grendel,6.8 SPCII & the 7.62 x 40 Wilson caliber anyone of these will be good for hunting with the 6.5 having the longest reach and the 6.8 SPCII being an awsome caliber can't say anything yet about the Wilson caliber as I don't have an upper with that yet and of course if you don't handload all 3 are available to purchase already from a few sources. Don't forget to save for good optics as well as you can't hit what you can't see just my.02 worth!
Good point on the glass, I've got a Nikon Monarch 4x16x40 that came with a rifle that I traded off that should do well on an AR. It's got the stupid BDC ret. but it'll do till I can get something with a varmint ret.

Look at the 300 AAC Blackout as well. You can run it super or subsonic. There are quite a few manufacturers that have jumped on board with this one. I run mine subsonic/ suppressed. Awesome combo. Very very accurate too. I had a hell of a time getting the gas adjusted right, it turned out my buffer was way too heavy. I put in a standard carbine buffer and it has run flawless ever since. Just an idea, similar to the 7.62x40 WT but designed to run subsonic...

Look at the 300 AAC Blackout as well. You can run it super or subsonic. There are quite a few manufacturers that have jumped on board with this one. I run mine subsonic/ suppressed. Awesome combo. Very very accurate too. I had a hell of a time getting the gas adjusted right, it turned out my buffer was way too heavy. I put in a standard carbine buffer and it has run flawless ever since. Just an idea, similar to the 7.62x40 WT but designed to run subsonic...
I thought about the blackout, but I'd like something with a little more punch out to 300-400yds.

I personally have an AR built with many SI Defense components and I also know many others that do as well. Personally I cannot find any reason to go with anything else. I have had it for a couple of years now and it has performed flawlessly round after round. I will be building another using their components.
Also as far as buying a stripped lower from them and building your own it is not overpriced. A complete lower or rifle from SI might be expensive, but they are worth the money if you want a quality dependable rifle.

I personally have an AR built with many SI Defense components and I also know many others that do as well. Personally I cannot find any reason to go with anything else. I have had it for a couple of years now and it has performed flawlessly round after round. I will be building another using their components.
Also as far as buying a stripped lower from them and building your own it is not overpriced. A complete lower or rifle from SI might be expensive, but they are worth the money if you want a quality dependable rifle.
Thanx, I think that seals the deal. I'll order a Model1sales upper kit in 6.8 SPC or 6.5 Grendel (saves some $$ if I assemble it myself and no FFL needed), 20in fluted varminter bbl, full length gas tube, with a SI stripped lower, and Geissele trigger group. Hopefully it'll save me enough $$$ to buy reloading dies and a bunch of brass. Unless someone can talk me into something different before my tax return gets here.

Anyone got a feeling on the Grendel vs the 6.8SPC. It looks like they'll both do the job I need them to do. I think the recoil will be tolerable for my wife with either of em, but bullet/brass availability seems like it might be an issue (I'd like to tailor loads to the critter, so a good selection of bullets would be nice). Is there going to be any difference in barrel life, brass life, etc. I'm leaning on the SPC so far... but not tied to it yet.
Thanx
Cody

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.