Need advise with first AR

frankidaho

I am interested in buying my first AR to be used for coyotes out to 300 yds. I was looking at the RRA ATH but was wondering if I could build one cheaper but with the same 3/4 moa accuracy ? If so, what is the secret to AR accuracy and which componets should I use for a diy ?

Dyi wont be much cheaper if at all, but you have more choice on caliber. Me I went 6mm-223. With just a different barrel. Been lucky and all guns had great accuracy. Might I suggest the Nikon m223 scope just awsome for yotes. Good luck so many choices.

Secrets to AR accuracy? No different than anything else. Barrel, trigger, & you. :)

In terms of buying, every barrel is like dating somebody new - need to find out what your newest barrel likes. Or, for the married people, what mood just walked in the door. :)

Personally, I would, without a doubt, build what you want. YOU get to pick what is important to you.

I just finished building a lightweight AR. Why? Because all the rest were heavy barrels. The 24" never leaves the safe. 20" seldom comes with me. 16" always comes with.

1:9 twist will handle everything from 40 gr to 75 Amax. 1:8 twist will stretch all the way to 80 gr AMax and usually 80 gr SMK's.

Personally, go with a 1:9 twist 16, 18, or 20 " stainless barrel. I prefer stainless barrels, but will not turn down a chrome moly, for a good price.

I prefer Billet, machined uppers and lowers, but they are not cheap....and sometimes hard to come by.

Don't get caught up in the "name brand" uppers & lowers. They contract out quite a bit of work to smaller shops, but put their name on them. No big deal, as the quality is still there. Everything is CNC machined now.

Trigger - up to you. I don't mind a crisp single stage. Yes, bone stock, plain jane, single stage trigger.

I like ACE skeleton stocks and plain A2 stocks.

BCG - prefer a nickel boron coated, but would not turn down a chrome. Phosphate coated are last, but work well....but keep the chrome and phosphate coated lubed with a full synthetic grease such as STOS (sold by Ponsness Warren).

I am interested in buying my first AR to be used for coyotes out to 300 yds. I was looking at the RRA ATH but was wondering if I could build one cheaper but with the same 3/4 moa accuracy ? If so, what is the secret to AR accuracy and which componets should I use for a diy ?

The RRA is a good rifle and yes you can build one cheaper but if you really want one you better get busy because all these mass shootings have gun owners in the crosshairs from the Dems, Libs and anti gun @ssholes, they are up in arms and motivatred about an al out Assault weapons ban. I find it interesting that these supposed peaceful people are always threatening us gun owners yet weve done nothing. All these mass shooters are liberal or nutcases yet the Conservatives and responsible gun owners always get the blame. Go figure.
Other good moderate priced ar's include DPMS, BUSMASTER, STAG, DANIEL DEFENSE and get more expensive as you go. If coyotes are your thing go with the 20" barrel.gun)

The 1-9 with anything over 62 is questionble depending on the gun.

Many will , but not all. I would advise 1-8 IF you plan or want the 75-77 + grain bullets. The 1-8 WILL shoot all bullets you want.

IF you plan on building one, better grab your lower asap. they are flying out of the stores and gun shows.

The DIY route allows a rifle tailored to your desires and specs. Do not plan on saving money, but you will have a better gun for you.

By all means go with a melonited barrel (AR Performance can build you a good upper and has melonited barrel. 18-20" for pure coyote gun

Bought two lowers ($125 and $140) yesterday at a gunshow. All of them were gone by 2 PM. Parts kits for lowers were $65. Get these asap if you want to go this route. Colt lowers are what is called large pin, while all others are small pin. this makes a difference with the triggers. Go with small pin lower.

RRA makes a good 2 stage trigger that is clean and reasonable.

Highly recommend a mil spec buffer tube vs the commercial size.

Go with a gas tube vs piston gun for the accuracy.

Feel several foreends to see what you like.

I just sold one of mine and am finishing building a 16 inch 1-7, with LMT butt, VTAC 13" forend, Geiselle 3 gun trigger, BCM charging handle and carrier.

Couple websites: AR15.com( ot of new and used guns and parts at good prices), Bravo Machine Company, AR Performance, Noeveske, JARD triggers, Rock River Arms,

S., Since it is your first AR I would suggest buying one off the rack if you will. Don't wait because they are going fast and some companies are now projecting 4-8 month lag if you want anything special added. Definitely worth adding a good trigger and magnified optics. As suggested, Nikon has a number of AR specific scopes, M as well as P-Series with different magnification's and prices.
I've found AR's these days often come with sub MOA accuracy with quality ammo. Join the crowd and let us know what you bought and what you think about it.
Just know we all have suggestion's and the right answer is the one that works the best for your needs.
My LMT with NIkon P-223 3-9 BDC 600 Scope.

http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd363/bman940/p-22339.jpg

Ditto on grabbing them fast. Today, on armslist, a guy sold two Stag stripped lowers for $175 ea. in a couple of minutes. Lots of companies list those lowers for $129-139, but everyone is sold out and with no eta on new shipments. I don't own an AR yet, but am trying to get a hold of a couple of lowers to keep my options open before I have my options taken away either by my governor or the feds. My thinking is they will ban the AR's, AK's and other high capacity semi automatics including pistols, but that the parts will be available for quite some time. I think we are losing the the war on preserving our gun rights.

Dont mean to hijack your thread but i have had a rock river on order for almost 2 months, called them today and they have no idea when it will be in. Just a heads up. Wish you the best of luck

Hey guys thanks for all of your help. The surge to buy AR 15s was insane but I was lucky enough to purchase an S&W MP 15T. I will shoot this a bit then decide whether I need to make any significant changes. But right off the bat the trigger has to go. Any opinion on the ACOG or EOtech for coyotes under 300 yards?

Eotech is sweet not sure about 300 yards but for short range its great. I am currently looking at scopes and quick mounts so I can swap back and forth depending on hunting situations. Im thinking quick release mounts Ive seen them that will put you back within 1/2 moa. Probably m223 for scope.

I love my ACOG. Not so powerful it's still great for CQB, and has a little magnification to stretch the legs. Tough as hell, too!

little spendy though. go green the tritium is warrantied for 12 yrs

You might want to use a regular scope for the longer shots and mount a dot type sight in an off-set mount. I run a Leupy Mark AR on top with a Vortex dot mounted on a 45 degree off set mount. Shoot normally with the scope or cant the rifle 45 degrees for close stuff with the dot. Makes for a wicked yote rig!

I went with an ATH and have had great luck with it for accuracy with 55 NBT's. Call Legal Transfers for the best prices on Rock River.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.