APS Raptor Stalker Pics, sorry for the long wait...

Fiftydriver

Official LRH Sponsor
Well guys, I know alot of you have been wanting to see a Raptor Stalker all finished up. This is not the first one out the door, just the first one I had a bit of time so I could take some pictures of.

The stock on this Raptor Stalker is a McMillan A1-3. This is still a bit larger stock design them I designed for the Stalker version of the Raptor but these pics will give you an idea what it looks like. In my opinion, the McMillan Rem Hunter, McMillan HTG or Manner MCS-T stocks are what I will put on the Stalker if its left up to me but this was a customers stock and it works well, just a bit larger then Stalker conceptual design calls for.

This Stalker is chambered in my 338 Allen Xpress, throated for the 300 gr SMK or Bergers to work in the Seekins Detachable magazine length. It will also work just fine with any lighter bullet such as the Nosler 225 gr or 250 gr Accubonds.

PC030024.jpg

This rifle also has one of my NF NXS test scopes in the saddles, again, much larger scope then I would put on a Raptor in size and weight but for accuracy testing hard to beat. A Leupold Mk4 in 3.5-10x 40mm would be hard to beat with the TMR reticle if you wanted to hold over shoot. Nothing at all wrong with the NF on a Stalker, just adds around 11-12 ounces to the rifle weight.

PC030025.jpg

This view shows the relatively slim lines of the Raptor Stalker. While it shares the exact same Raptor receiver as the much larger and heavier Raptor LRSS (Long Range Shooting System). Looking at 9.5 lb rifle weight compared to 14 lbs for the LRSS. You can also see the shorter length barrels used on the Stalker compared to the 28-32" for the Raptor LRSS. On this rifle we used a 25" finish length which will be plenty to get good performance out of the very efficent 338 cal bore, even with the large Allen Xpress chambering.

PC030027.jpg

Here you can see the Stalker barrel contour. Basically its a Lilja #5 contour but the shank diameter is lengthened to 5". The design goal here is to offer a relatively light weight barrel but also offer a barrel that is extremely rigid by sporter barrel designs. In fact from my testing this Stalker contour barrel has the same stiffness as a conventional #7 contour barrel just because of the added length and mass in the barrel shank area.

PC030029.jpg

The heart of the Raptor Stalker of course the Raptor receiver. As mentioned, this is the exact same Raptor receiver as the full size LRSS rifles come with. I am working at this time to come out with a Raptor specifically for the Stalker rifles and it will have an open bridge top receiver design with will not only drop 6-7 ounces off the rifle weight, it will also allow easy top feeding for internal magazine boxes for using the RUMs and Edge class chamberings. I am hoping to get that "Stalker" receiver design out by spring. This view also shows the trimmer 3 round magazine box offered by Seekins which in my opinion is MUCH better for a big game rifle then the 5 round mag that really that really hung down from the belly of the rifle.

The Raptor Stalker concept design is intended to offer the long range hunter 1000 yards of legit reach but in a package that is relatively compact and portable.

More pictures to come but this gives everyone the basic concept design idea.

Let me know what you think.

Raptor Stalkers are available as repeaters and single shots and will be available in most magnum chamberings and Lapua based wildcats as well as the 338 Lapua itself. Not to much I would say no to as far as chambering.

Kirby,
Sleek, slim and sexy, just what a dangerous woman should be, I've been told. Sure looks good to me.

Glad to see your "driveway" has been cleared so you can get back to work. Hope you are gettin' the hang of things back. Good pics, that white background does wonders! LOL

Jim

Kirby,

Thats a beautiful picture! I've been following the Raptor project over time and glad to see its coming together.

Have you started a build up for anyone yet?

Thanks,Mike

The Raptor Stalker is designed to be under 10 lbs. With this A1-3 stock it may be slightly more then this ready to hunt with but not by much.

Certainly not an Ultralight but very light for the rigidity and strength that come in this package. It is designed to run toe to toe with 15-16 lb class rifles and all the ones that have shipped so far easily do this. I am sure this one will be no different.

That. Is a beautfull rifle, oh how I would like to have one of my own,I would take it on long walks in the south cedar hills and spend a lots of good quality time with it.Some day kirby iam gona have u build me one if you would .

Holey squat! You otta not post those kinds of pictures. (As I drool a bit....)

I have all of the calibers I need from you already.

But from the looks of the last one I got, two otta be better if I could shoot 'em simultaneously........

One thing I don't have, that would complete my arsenal would be a specialty pistol.

Hmmm, a Raptor specialty pistol. Intriguing thought......

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.