APS Stalker Hunter

I agree 100%, the VihtaVuori 500 series powders are barrel burner's. I Love some VihtaVuori powders but all are 100 series.
Yep, hard to find, expensive to buy, great performance but very high flame temp causing accelerated throat erosion, other options offer same performance, easier to find, less costly and better barrel life.... think that covers my opinion of the 500 series powders.

More good stuff!
I'm finding with the testing i my 28 Nosler/195EOL & 300RUM/208ELDM-210VLDH, Ramshot LRT is good stuff! My first time using slow ball and the case fill is exactly what iv'e been looking for, along with low pressure and it does in fact have a degree of temperature stability. Ramshot LRT is working so well, I got another 8# keg with the same lot#, even better, and don't concern myself, with not getting Retumbo anymore at all.
Now that I'v proven to myself that it's a viable powder, gonna get some heavier bullets and see what performance I can get out of the stock Remmy 300RUM...

I am curious on the twist rate of the barrel? It seems like you could over spin a 180 going that fast, but I am not sure just seems possible. How was the accuracy? If I missed this info in the post I apologize I just didn't notice it.

More good stuff!
I'm finding with the testing i my 28 Nosler/195EOL & 300RUM/208ELDM-210VLDH, Ramshot LRT is good stuff! My first time using slow ball and the case fill is exactly what iv'e been looking for, along with low pressure and it does in fact have a degree of temperature stability. Ramshot LRT is working so well, I got another 8# keg with the same lot#, even better, and don't concern myself, with not getting Retumbo anymore at all.
Now that I'v proven to myself that it's a viable powder, gonna get some heavier bullets and see what performance I can get out of the stock Remmy 300RUM...
Jasonco where did you pull the data from the LRT powder for the 28 Nosler? I struggle to find Retumbo as well and would welcome another option. I shoot 180 berger hybrids not the 195, the 195 wasn't out when I had my barrel spun up. Thanks for any info you can give.

@Tidus56 https://blog.westernpowders.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/Ramshot-LRT-Data.pdf

Since there is NO 195 EOL data, I started with my known 180 ELDM data, but worked up from 83.5 gn in .5 gn to 90.1 gn, to where I found bolt lift was apparent on my rifle @ 89.5-90.1. There's a node @88.9 and that's where I'm going to explore up/down from there.

Once again, THIS IS EXPLORATORY with this barrel, as I'v another on the way @27" and I will switch to the new Peterson cases I have on hand!

Yeah I thought to check their site after I posted and found it. I should have updated my last post and saved you the hassle, my bad. I have noticed that western powders and shooters world is always available. Time for me to branch out for Alliant and Hodgdon, thanks

More good stuff!

the heavier the bullet the better it will work in the rum as its on the slow side for that round but as you well know, it can work well. Just watch for carbon fouling build up. When not loaded to top working pressures, can burn a little dirty.

Nice work, Kirby. Always enjoy reading your posts. The .240 Weatherby you built me several years ago is still kicking ***. Take care.

Joe

Normally, it Would be considered very disrespectful and rude to post a rifle from a competing company on a sponsors post about one of their products, so, before i rip the hell out of this video in a dozen different ways, i will give you a chance to please say you were not comparing this nosler rifle and the "performance" its getting to one of my APS rifles??? Just curious what you mean by "interesting results" and then since you posted this rifle report on my thread about one of my rifles, i will do a quick comparison between the two......

ready set GO!

Here's some interesting results, out of 24" carbon fiber barrel.

ok, since YOU posted this video about a competitors rifle on my thread where i am talking about my products..... lets compare them and this video.

the guy is claiming group sizes which are not even close to what is obvious Looking at the target grid. One group he claimed I think .8" and the group was clearly 1 moa at least center to center.

these rifles cost within $500 of my APS Stalker yet only carry a 1 moa guarantee, i prove my rifles to a 1/2 moa standard before they ship, not at 50 yards, not at 100 yards, at a full 800 yards minimum for my Stalker line of rifles. That test data offered to customer at no additional cost. You buy a nosler rifle, your on your own and its a crap shoot what will and wont work well.

if you look at the targets, most of them tell a common tale of nosler rifles, horizontal stringing...... often this is a result of the receivers not being machined perfectly true and square. The issue is magnified as the chamberings get larger and higher in intensity.

have always said, a blind monkey can build a 1/2 moa 223, building a 1/2 moa big rifle requires everything to be perfect. My comments about the squareness of the nosler receivers is not opinion. I have pulled apart well over a dozen of these rifles that customers brought to me wanting me to get them shooting well. None were even close to my standard to build on. Receiver threads out if axial alignment, bolt lug supports uneven, unsquare across bolt face....... that said, no worse then any commercial receiver such as a winchester, ruger or remington. Again, NO WORSE OR BETTER THEN ANY OTHER FACTORY RECEIVER yet your paying +$3k for one of these....

My Stalker and Raptor receivers have less then 0.0002" variation across the bolt face And are perfect in axial alignment guaranteed or they will not be used to build on, period.

proof barrels, while they are pretty darn good, do have a reputation for walking impacts as barrels heat up. Again, not opinion, proven this many times. There is a reason you do not see carbon wrapped barrels being used in serious comp shooting. For big game hunting, not a huge deal but again, watch the groups he shoots, several of them show clear walking and stringing with only three shots.

i use bartlein barrels exclusively in all my rifles, they dont walk as they get warm and they are tested and proven not to have vertical or horizontal stringing by me personally.

now that rifle may be 1/2 lb lighter then my Stalker UL Mag rifles but my rifles will come with top quality detachable mag systems or custom hinged floorplate internal mag systems that are proven to feed properly. Proper full length barrel, integral rail base and proper full dimensioned stock.

the muzzle brake on that rifle is an aftermarket add on option and honestly, not overly effective at reducing recoil, at least not compared to any of my Painkiller muzzle brakes, just being honest here. I replace that style of brake ALL THE TIME with my PK brakes and customers are much happier After that upgrade.

the last shot he takes with this rifle, he has a hell of a time getting the bolt to even close on the round. Then he makes a statement that the rifle fed flawlessly with zero issues...... Should have done a better editing job on that part.... oops.

my rifles are all function tested and proven to feed like they should and eject like they should before they ever ship.

then he is talking about performance. Talking about SD numbers in the 30s being pretty good and ES numbers in the 60s being good....... really.

i am not one to preach single digit ES numbers are needed at all, but its pretty easy to get ES down to the 20 fps range with most loads.

the 160 gr accubond load printed a legit 1 moa group judging off the target grid, pretty obvious horizontal stringing..... looked like there was a noticable hitch on the top of the bolt lift as well..... Pressures a bit high Maybe....
3227 fps, 31 fps SD😳, 62 fps ES 😳

the berger 175 gr..... probably the best of the groups, still pushing 3/4 moa, noticable horizontal stringing. These groups at 500-800 yards, would look really wide and flat.....
3012 fps, 17 fps SD, 38 fps ES.

180 gr berger..... well over 1 moa in spite of his magical measuring system that claims 0.91"......???
2973 fps, 10 fps SD, 20 fps ES. Better but a pop load compared to my 7mm AM.

165 gr sierra..... last shot locked rifle up when feeding... flawless feeding however.... not a bad group though at around 3/4 moa or a bit more.
3122 fps, 16 fps SD, 43 fps ES, not overly great either.

as far as performance, if i hammer on the mighty 28 noslers performance they will all say well its only a 24" barrel...... true, put a real barrel on that thing. My 7mm Allen Magnum will drive a 180 gr to 3400+ fps in a 26" barrel. 3300 fps with the 195 gr....... 3500+ fps with the 160 gr......

he also claimed that he tested the 195 gr berger and had no signs of stability issues..... however the worst group he shot was with the 180 gr berger vld, i suspect there was a reason why no target was shown for the 195 gr berger.......

he talks about the amazing brass and getting 4-5 firings per case..... i do not recommend any loads to customers without proving they will offer AT LEAST 8 firings per case and often 10 or more...... and thats with the velocity levels above.

he made claims that hornady and nosler brass was top quality, laughed out loud on that one. Compared to what my wildcats use, nothing remotely close to what i would call top quality. Again, not opinion, have tested it all extensively. Adg brass is good compared to remington brass, not even in the same league as lapua or peterson.

now many will say the nosler is chambered for factory available ammo.... in this video, the guy HANDLOADED and handloaded a wide range of bullets, not only wasting time but barrel life also and none of his loads looked exceptional in any way.

i offer loading dies and fully formed brass for most of my wildcat offerings so there is zero difference in his loading for that rifle and anyone loading for one of my rifles.

so, if you want to promote the nosler rifles, by all means, feel free but would appreciate if you not promote them on a thread of a sponsor to LRH talking about their own products. Highly disrespectful. not mad, you just made the comparison by putting the video on my thread so i went a bit further and clarified the the finer details of the comparison....

Normally, it Would be considered very disrespectful and rude to post a rifle from a competing company on a sponsors post about one of their products, so, before i rip the hell out of this video in a dozen different ways, i will give you a chance to please say you were not comparing this nosler rifle and the "performance" its getting to one of my APS rifles??? Just curious what you mean by "interesting results" and then since you posted this rifle report on my thread about one of my rifles, i will do a quick comparison between the two......

ready set GO!
I didn't mean to put it here on this thread, i realized.

I could give a dam about that overpriced Nosler rifle, I was just going with the data from 24" 28 Nosler cartridge!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.