APS Raptor LRSS testing

Fiftydriver

Official LRH Sponsor
Got this one finished up and had some amazing weather to get out and do some shooting finally!! Been a long winter.

this is one of my Raptor LRSS (Long Range Shooting System). It is based on my Raptor target receiver, made for me by Defiance machine to my specs. Coming up on 15 years of the Raptor being my work horse receiver. It is extremely strong, in fact rivals most of the cheytac class receivers in strength and stiffness and rigidity. Really over engineered for any lapua class diameter chambering or smaller which is what my Raptor is designed for. Full length stainless steel 1913 pic. Rail mounted with six 8-40 mounting screws and triple pinned to the receiver. Also heavy pinned recoil lug. The Raptor has a long extended thread tenon to support longer heavier barrels then most conventional receivers in this size class. Over sized one piece bolt, extremely strong bolt head design, extra steel behind the bolt lug supports to give extreme strength and rigidity.

4C40E8E0-1AF2-4A55-9465-1400A87811AB.jpeg

My custom Raptor LRSS barrel contour was designed specifically to offer more stiffness and rigidity then a same length (30" standard) 1.250" straight cylinder barrel, while offering less barrel weight and a better balancing rifle. This is accomplished by using a large 1.350" diameter shank that is 8" in length, then a contoured and tapered section to the muzzle at roughly 0.840" diameter at 30" finish length.

most of the stress and torque developed from firing long, heavy bullets to high velocity must be controlled in the first 8" of barrel length. Past that, the bullet has gained most of its velocity and the rotational stresses generated by the bullet are greatly reduce. As such, there is not as much need for a massive barrel right to the muzzle. Especially important for a big game rifle which these are designed for big game hunting.

the Raptor LRSS also has a unique dual flute pattern which really give them a unique look while also shifting center of balance rearward for a more solid feeling rifle yet not feeling LIVELY like some short rifle designs can feel. My small or medium Painkiller muzzle brake pretty much eliminates all felt recoil….

29636ADF-CAED-41A3-BBDB-F7FD5A9160A8.jpeg

Jewell trigger set at 1 lb pull weight are standard as are the adjustable McMillan A5 stocks that are pillar bedded to the receiver. This rifle uses the 5 round Accurate Mag detchable mag system which works extremely well.

02C0D0A8-026A-4586-B02B-1DE4D9B6EB68.jpeg

this particular rifle is chambered in my 300 Allen Xpress and has a 32" barrel length. Designed to shoot any 30 cal up to the 230 gr bergers. This customer wanted the rifle tested with the 215 gr berger Hybrid target. We find the hybrid target bullets actually perform better terminally on big game at the velocities my Allen Magnums and Allen Xpress wildcats can drive them to.

case in point. Using RL33, this rifle drove the 215 gr hybrid to a legit 3500 fps with what i would recommend as a max working load. That being a load that would offer 6-8 firings per case. Stepping back a couple grains in powder gave us an average muzzle velocity right at 3400 fps and extremely comfortable for pressure. +10 firings per case.

6ED53CED-C722-4036-9B4E-83A38D999983.jpeg

i am always amazed that my 300 Allen Xpress is not more popular then it is being as its likely the best all around choice of my wildcat offerings. Still it routinely ranks 4th or 5th in rifle sales each year. It is basically the 338 lapua necked down to 30 cal, repositioning the shoulder/neck junction and then fireforming to my shoulder angle and case body taper design. Will drive 180 gr bullets faster then a 22-250 will drive a 55 gr bullet. Will drive 230 gr bullets to +3300 fps easily, very little recoil and extremely user friendly to load for.

Most would not believe how quickly these rifles come together as far as number of rounds needed to get them ready. This rifle took exactly 14 rounds from start to finish….. now to be fair, i have a little experience with these wildcats 😁 so i know good starting points and my Raptor LRSS rifles just beg to shoot. So, this rifle, started at a known safe starting load, shot one round over the chrono increasing 1 grain with each shot till i reached 3500 fps. Total of 5 rounds down the barrel.

decided to test the 3400 fps load at long range, loaded up 20 test rounds and headed to the range. Set up on a target at 1055 yards. Got a bit lucky and first shot landed perfect height wise and 1/2 moa to the left. Gave the scope 1/2 moa right adjustment, next shot impacted the 1/2 moa sized target rock i was shooting at. As did the next three fired quickly to check for any point of impact walking as barrel heater up. There was none at all.

ran the numbers on my ballistic program to get the drop chart. Turned the scope down the recommanded MOA for a 300 yard zero and locked everything down.

then took test shots at 380, 715, 878 and again at 1055 yards, dialing up the recommended amount for each to test the drop chart. Point of impact was within 1/4 moa of point of aim for all four test ranges. Scope was set at different power setting for each range tested as well.

obviously the rifle may need some more minor tweaking but have a very high performing load, consistent load, accurate load, rifle system zeroed at 300 yards and drop chart proven at multiple ranges from zero to 1055 yards, in 14 rounds total. Again, i admit this is not the norm but accomplishing this in 20-25 rounds total IS CERTAINLY the norm with these Raptor LRSS rifles, and Stalkers for that matter. Just make life really easy at long range!!

rifle colors turned out rather nice in my opinion so wanted to share some pics.

Dang it Kirby, I got all excited you had brass and were making 300 Raptors again. Your barrel design is awesome, I've liked your special contour since I first saw it. Looks fantastic. 👍

Kirby, Which chronograph do you prefer ? I need to make a decision and,
unfortunately, I read more about peoples' frustrations than their successes.
Thank you

Dang it Kirby, I got all excited you had brass and were making 300 Raptors again. Your barrel design is awesome, I've liked your special contour since I first saw it. Looks fantastic. 👍
300 and 338 Raptors have been available for order for some time now, working on finishing up the 375 Raptor. 👍👍

Kirby, Which chronograph do you prefer ? I need to make a decision and,
unfortunately, I read more about peoples' frustrations than their successes.
Thank you
To be honest, i really do not have a preferred brand. Have used most of the cheap ones, some of the spendy ones and they all have pros and cons. Right now using a caldwell unit and has worked well. Just gives velocity but thats all i need to be honest. Have been interested in the labradar and have Heard mostly good about them.

Outstanding rifle and write up, I know my 7mm Allen mag is my go to meat stick when I want meat in the cooler!!!! its an absolute hammer with 195gr bergers and RL33. I've had several customs and Kirby's rifle is by far superior in all aspects. I call her Aunt B because she never fails to put meat on the table.

Your website still has a big red heading saying that you can't get 338 Excalibur brass. Do you have some available to go with builds

really need to update my web page…..😳

dont use the excalibur case anymore, designed my own case and started having bertram brass make the case for me. He kind of screwed me on that project so that stopped but then David Tubbs took my idea from bertram and designed his 33xc brass. He laid to have peterson brass make his 33xc off my Raptor design and now i use his 33xc brass to turn back into my Raptor cases. So yes the Raptors are available but no longer use the excalibur case. The production Raptor case now is much larger and much better quality.

Got this one finished up and had some amazing weather to get out and do some shooting finally!! Been a long winter.

this is one of my Raptor LRSS (Long Range Shooting System). It is based on my Raptor target receiver, made for me by Defiance machine to my specs. Coming up on 15 years of the Raptor being my work horse receiver. It is extremely strong, in fact rivals most of the cheytac class receivers in strength and stiffness and rigidity. Really over engineered for any lapua class diameter chambering or smaller which is what my Raptor is designed for. Full length stainless steel 1913 pic. Rail mounted with six 8-40 mounting screws and triple pinned to the receiver. Also heavy pinned recoil lug. The Raptor has a long extended thread tenon to support longer heavier barrels then most conventional receivers in this size class. Over sized one piece bolt, extremely strong bolt head design, extra steel behind the bolt lug supports to give extreme strength and rigidity.

View attachment 459638
My custom Raptor LRSS barrel contour was designed specifically to offer more stiffness and rigidity then a same length (30" standard) 1.250" straight cylinder barrel, while offering less barrel weight and a better balancing rifle. This is accomplished by using a large 1.350" diameter shank that is 8" in length, then a contoured and tapered section to the muzzle at roughly 0.840" diameter at 30" finish length.

most of the stress and torque developed from firing long, heavy bullets to high velocity must be controlled in the first 8" of barrel length. Past that, the bullet has gained most of its velocity and the rotational stresses generated by the bullet are greatly reduce. As such, there is not as much need for a massive barrel right to the muzzle. Especially important for a big game rifle which these are designed for big game hunting.

the Raptor LRSS also has a unique dual flute pattern which really give them a unique look while also shifting center of balance rearward for a more solid feeling rifle yet not feeling LIVELY like some short rifle designs can feel. My small or medium Painkiller muzzle brake pretty much eliminates all felt recoil….

View attachment 459640

Jewell trigger set at 1 lb pull weight are standard as are the adjustable McMillan A5 stocks that are pillar bedded to the receiver. This rifle uses the 5 round Accurate Mag detchable mag system which works extremely well.

View attachment 459641

this particular rifle is chambered in my 300 Allen Xpress and has a 32" barrel length. Designed to shoot any 30 cal up to the 230 gr bergers. This customer wanted the rifle tested with the 215 gr berger Hybrid target. We find the hybrid target bullets actually perform better terminally on big game at the velocities my Allen Magnums and Allen Xpress wildcats can drive them to.

case in point. Using RL33, this rifle drove the 215 gr hybrid to a legit 3500 fps with what i would recommend as a max working load. That being a load that would offer 6-8 firings per case. Stepping back a couple grains in powder gave us an average muzzle velocity right at 3400 fps and extremely comfortable for pressure. +10 firings per case.

View attachment 459656

i am always amazed that my 300 Allen Xpress is not more popular then it is being as its likely the best all around choice of my wildcat offerings. Still it routinely ranks 4th or 5th in rifle sales each year. It is basically the 338 lapua necked down to 30 cal, repositioning the shoulder/neck junction and then fireforming to my shoulder angle and case body taper design. Will drive 180 gr bullets faster then a 22-250 will drive a 55 gr bullet. Will drive 230 gr bullets to +3300 fps easily, very little recoil and extremely user friendly to load for.

Most would not believe how quickly these rifles come together as far as number of rounds needed to get them ready. This rifle took exactly 14 rounds from start to finish….. now to be fair, i have a little experience with these wildcats 😁 so i know good starting points and my Raptor LRSS rifles just beg to shoot. So, this rifle, started at a known safe starting load, shot one round over the chrono increasing 1 grain with each shot till i reached 3500 fps. Total of 5 rounds down the barrel.

decided to test the 3400 fps load at long range, loaded up 20 test rounds and headed to the range. Set up on a target at 1055 yards. Got a bit lucky and first shot landed perfect height wise and 1/2 moa to the left. Gave the scope 1/2 moa right adjustment, next shot impacted the 1/2 moa sized target rock i was shooting at. As did the next three fired quickly to check for any point of impact walking as barrel heater up. There was none at all.

ran the numbers on my ballistic program to get the drop chart. Turned the scope down the recommanded MOA for a 300 yard zero and locked everything down.

then took test shots at 380, 715, 878 and again at 1055 yards, dialing up the recommended amount for each to test the drop chart. Point of impact was within 1/4 moa of point of aim for all four test ranges. Scope was set at different power setting for each range tested as well.

obviously the rifle may need some more minor tweaking but have a very high performing load, consistent load, accurate load, rifle system zeroed at 300 yards and drop chart proven at multiple ranges from zero to 1055 yards, in 14 rounds total. Again, i admit this is not the norm but accomplishing this in 20-25 rounds total IS CERTAINLY the norm with these Raptor LRSS rifles, and Stalkers for that matter. Just make life really easy at long range!!

rifle colors turned out rather nice in my opinion so wanted to share some pics.

I think I'm in love