APS & LSR Rebarrel Projects

Well, cant speak for Chris but the first thing I do is to inform my customers of potential issues before we even get into building the rifles. There are certain receivers that are better then others for extreme accuracy.

I tell them what on average works the best and if they take my advice fine, if not I will do my best to build them the most accurate rifle I can but they need to realize there may be issues.

Once the rifle is built, I range test the rifles at 100 yards to confirm that they are capable of meeting or beating my 1/2 moa accuracy requirement fired off the shoulder.

I document these targets and file them by name of the customer. When the rifle is ready to ship I contact the customer and talk over the rifle with them discussing any issues about the rifle that I have found during live fire range testing, such as how to hold the rifle to get it to shoot the most consistant. This is particularly true with light rifles.

Simply put I am blunt about the fact of a rifles recoil level if I feel this may be an issue.

When the customer gets the rifle, it has been proven to be capable of 1/2 moa accuracy at 100 yards. It is on the customer now to do a complete barrel break in and develope a proper load to get the rifle to shoot well. This is generally not a problem but I have had a couple customer have problems.

One was with a 22-6mm AI Heavy V-Block I built for a customer. Probably the most accurte rifle I have ever built to be honest. The rifle shot so well in fact I range tested it at 200 yards where it was punching three shot groups in the 0.1"s!!!

Sent the rifle off knowing the customer would have no problems, well he did not do a barrel break in and after about 30-40 shots his barrel was tearing bullets apart as soon as it warmed up.

I told him to return the rifle and I would see what the problem was, cleaned it completely and the bore scope told the rest of the story.

You simply must be honest with your customers and learn to avoid trouble if possible by reading your customers. This does not always work though so when the problems come I have the customer return the rifle on my dime, recheck everything and see what is going on.

If the rifle is performing well still and in a case such as yours, you need to be respectful but honest with your customer. Document your range test targets and keep them on file as proof of your testing. They may not believe you but you can not change that.

You will run into those that are better then you(in their mind) at shooting and in those cases, it is often best to cut your losses and get out of the deal as quick as possible.

Simply put, there are some out there that will never be happy with anything you do for them, dispite the fact, there is really nothing you could do to make their rifle shoot any better but to shoot it yourself.

If they are local customers, by all means, take them to the range and let them watch you shoot the rifle. May seriously bruise some egos but the point gets pressed home in a big way when they see the rifle shoot 1/2 moa groups right in front of their eyes.

If I do not do all the work on the rifle, metal and stock work, its very hard to give an accuracy garantee because a poor bedding job can seriously effect accuracy, taking a true 1/2 moa rifle and making it a 1 to 1 1/2 moa shooter.

BAsically be honest with your customers, cover your rear by documenting range tests if you do that and there is not much else you can do unfortuntely. In some cases you have to eat the bullet just to get out of a bad situation.

Kirby Allen(50)

Victor, i assume from your answer you did use a 1.2 barrel shank.in 2 previous posts of yours, you said the barrel was 1.12 dia.,which is a little small.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.