Anybody regret NOT going 338?

I'll take a 1/2 MOA 7mm with a G1 of .67 or greater, single digit SD, 3200+ MV over a 338 3/4 +MOA, .818 BC, double digit SD, 2800 MV for hunting big game with ranges between 700-1100 anyday. With precision and MVV being about equal the 338 will end up in my hands the vast majority of time even on medium sized game.

I certanly under stand the equalizing that speed brings to the table. With my rifles they both shoot slightly above a half inch. Its just that for my needs a 338 brought a combination of benefits that apealed to me.If I was ever forced to own 1 rifle for big game it would be a 7mm rm hands down.

Mainly hunt elk here in MT,hung up 7mm more than 20 yrs. ago,now lets see, which one off my three 338's do I take today:)

I certanly under stand the equalizing that speed brings to the table. With my rifles they both shoot slightly above a half inch. Its just that for my needs a 338 brought a combination of benefits that apealed to me.If I was ever forced to own 1 rifle for big game it would be a 7mm rm hands down.

If I lived somewhere where elk wasn't on the menu and had to have just one rifle, it would probably be something like a 6.5x284. If elk was on the menu, which it is for me, a 300 mag equivalent or better would be the rifle for LR 1000 yd elk. The 7RM is capable of killing elk at that range but that is pushing its limits. The 300 adds some comfort to that shot and the 338 adds even more comfort.

That said, the OP has other rifles and is looking for a good LR 1000 yd that is " intended to be the biggest baddest gun in the safe"

I'm in the process of ordering parts for a semi custom build.
This build is intended to be the biggest baddest gun in the safe.

With my current abilities and the time I have for practice I doubt I would ever attempt to take game at 1,000 yards, but I would like the gun to be capable of doing so.

So, with an absolute max of 1000 yards, on lets say elk to be aggressive, is something in the Edge / Lapua category really necessary?

Or would something with slightly less recoil and cheaper to shoot, say 7 STW or be enough for this kind of build?

Back to the OP...

The STW will not be much less to shoot (a few pennies of powder and a few pennies per bullet) than a 300 RUM and you will rebarrel more often at about $600 a pop. The 300 RUM will be a little less to shoot than the 338 Lapua or Edge but you will rebarrel more often. You might not ever rebarrel a 338.

As far as recoil, a 7 RM has a good kick and an STW kicks harder than a 7 RM. Put a good brake on, which is highly recommended for any LR rig, and kick is not a factor for any rifle.

I still don't see why with given a 1,000yd max for Elk that the 7mmSTW has been so discredited. It was designed for that specific purpose.

Boy do I wish ole Layne Simpson would jump in on this conversation, he'd have a field day.

How much experience with a 7mmSTW do you have Montana? How many barrels have you shot out as compared to a 300 RUM?

And no, I'm not being sarcastic, I'm seriously asking you a legitimate question.

I don't have any experience rebarreling 300 RUMs...I'll admit it, but I still don't see how pushing something that large, as fast as a hotter smaller bullet won't burn out the throat equally as fast... That's a big flame coming out of the RUMs.

I've had my 7mmSTW for 11 years and STILL have not shot the barrel out...

My STW doesn't have a brake on the end...And it doesn't kick hardly anymore than a 7mm RemMag does. It actually kicks less than my buddy's 300 WinMag.

I still don't see why with given a 1,000yd max for Elk that the 7mmSTW has been so discredited. It was designed for that specific purpose.

Boy do I wish ole Layne Simpson would jump in on this conversation, he'd have a field day.

Every cartridge has it's pluses and minus's. I seriously would like to know why you think I am "discrediting" the STW. Please show me exactly what I said that wasn't true.

I'm talking about everyone who shoots a .30 cal or larger seems to think it is somehow way better than the smaller cartridges, just because it shoots a larger diameter bullet. It took a while for me to help my buddy (the one with the .300 WM) realize this. But after seeing how finnicky his rifle is, and how capable mine are, he is starting to realize that the world revolves around all calibers, and not just the .300 WM, like he had thought before.

I wasn't talking about just you man, so don't take things so personal. I was just making a generalized statement.

I am leaning towards an edge with a 29" sendero contour and a CSR 4 port muscle break (already have it) hopefully around 14 lbs decked out with a nightforce.

One of the deciding factors for me is barrel life. I would feel comfortable with a 300 rum (or STW) doing everything I would ever ask of it, but I like the longer barrel life of the 338 -not to mention the ballistic advantages, especially if I ever want to really stretch it out.

Really my biggest concern with my choice is how I will handle the recoil. If I develop a flinch I won't enjoy shooting it and it will sit in the safe.

I'm talking about everyone who shoots a .30 cal or larger seems to think it is somehow way better than the smaller cartridges, just because it shoots a larger diameter bullet. It took a while for me to help my buddy (the one with the .300 WM) realize this. But after seeing how finnicky his rifle is, and how capable mine are, he is starting to realize that the world revolves around all calibers, and not just the .300 WM, like he had thought before.

I wasn't talking about just you man, so don't take things so personal. I was just making a generalized statement.

I don't think that comparing only two rifles (yours & your buddies) quantifies as a indisputable proof/evidence. The 300WM has the popularity base it has BECAUSE of it's generally easy going traits. General consensus is that the WM is very forgiving & easy to load for, maybe your buddy got a lemon? The STW is a fantastic cartridge (minus the lack of quality brass) & I personally would be happy to have one. But, when adding the big fuzzy wuzzies to the equation, there is no replacement for displacement.

There are gentlemen on this board that see more elk taken at long range every year than most of us will take in a decade. I believe we can all agree on what caliber they use the least, & that is 7mm.

I'm not thrashing the STW or 7mm believe it or not. Just making the point that when Long Range Elk comes into the equation, there are better choices & those choices have been outlined throughout this forum Time & Time again; that choice is nearly unanimous in starting at the 30 cal magnums & going UP from there.

t

I am leaning towards an edge with a 29" sendero contour and a CSR 4 port muscle break (already have it) hopefully around 14 lbs decked out with a nightforce.

One of the deciding factors for me is barrel life. I would feel comfortable with a 300 rum (or STW) doing everything I would ever ask of it, but I like the longer barrel life of the 338 -not to mention the ballistic advantages, especially if I ever want to really stretch it out.

Really my biggest concern with my choice is how I will handle the recoil. If I develop a flinch I won't enjoy shooting it and it will sit in the safe.

My .375 H&H weighs right around 11.5 lbs scoped and fully loaded. With 300g bullets, it rocks me pretty good, but it's not abusive by any means.

Admittedly, I have never fired any of the larger cased .338's, but I would have to think that firing similar weight bullets with about 20% more powder, in a rifle three pounds heavier AND with a muzzle brake, wouldn't be too hard on you if you use good hearing protection.

One thing I do like about my .375 is that it is well balanced enough that it doesn't feel heavy. I don't know exactly how to accomplish this, but given the weight that you plan on toting around, it may be worthwhile to pay attention to how your rifle balances. That will make it much more pleasant to carry and shoot.

Physics 101
More blood will pour through a big hole than a small one.
A heavy object hits harder than a lighter object traveling at the same speed.
A heavy object drifts less in a breeze than a lighter object of the same mass.

I think you'll be very happy with that. I'm putting the same brake on my 300 RUM. It should be very pleasant to shoot.

Physics 101
More blood will pour through a big hole than a small one.
A heavy object hits harder than a lighter object traveling at the same speed.
A heavy object drifts less in a breeze than a lighter object of the same mass.
Not true if the lighter object is more aerodynamic (same or longer, with slimmer profile), but weighs less, they should be about equal on the playing field in that aspect. If you take a 180gr 7mm and a 185gr .308 caliber and follow trajectory the 7mm will win every time, b/c it is more aerodynamic and ballistically superior. The .308 might leave a bigger hole, but if it has more wind drift, doesn't shot-placement have an effect on how much the animal bleeds? Location, location, location...

Once again, not saying anything is better, I am pointing out that everything has its pros and cons, and is not so cut and dried as "bigger is always better".

Not true if the lighter object is more aerodynamic (same or longer, with slimmer profile), but weighs less, they should be about equal on the playing field in that aspect. If you take a 180gr 7mm and a 185gr .308 caliber and follow trajectory the 7mm will win every time, b/c it is more aerodynamic and ballistically superior. The .308 might leave a bigger hole, but if it has more wind drift, doesn't shot-placement have an effect on how much the animal bleeds? Location, location, location...

Once again, not saying anything is better, I am pointing out that everything has its pros and cons, and is not so cut and dried as "bigger is always better".

I said nothing about caliber or diameter. Exampe; 2 bullet s of equal demintions but one isheaver due to the material used, like say lead as apposed to copper.

YOUR QUOTE SAY'A LOT

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.