To go Improved or not on 338 Lapua

Bravo, you are correct Hart makes a swedging tool and I should get one. But I kind of lost the need with Lapua brass. Both my son and I use Lapua brass in our 300 wins too.

I have not used N570 and I am not familar with it. But if it will get me close to 3000 fps from my 338 LM using a 300 gr bullet I will look into it.

RL 25 I have, but choose not to use it for a rifle I shoot to such extreme distances in a wide variety of ambient temperatures.

I have owned many chrono's. and still own 3. The last one I bought was an Oehler 35. I have owned plenty that have really lied to me. The Oehler with a proof channel seems to be pretty good about telling the truth and spotting errorus readings.

What velocity do you see with your 90 gr load of H-1000 and a 300 SMK? I have ran that load before several times and have accurate data.

I not only look at a chrono for velocity but rather look at what actual drops dictate to well past 1000 yards when a proven BC is used. When you get the drops to match everywhere you are probably close with your true velocity.

Jeff

Last edited:
I am telling the truth about the velocity I get from using N570 powder.
We have shot over 2 chronys, and they bot said 909 m/sek.
The same powder, 97grs behind a 250 grs Scenar, came out at 990 m/sek (3248 fps).
I put all my data into Shooter, and shot that bullet out to 1300 meters, dead on. I don't have a calibrated chronograph, but I think it is pretty close.

I have now bought some Norma brass, and have 90 grs of N570 behind the 300 grs SMK. Will shoot tomorrow, and see what I get. Hope to be in the 860 m/sek area, then maybe caselife is longer, and also barrel life. The barrel cost me 1350 USD, so I hope it will last a while ;)

Good luck with your project. I know it will be a killer ;)

100 meters, 5 shot group.

IMAG0345.jpg

300 meters, 5 shot group

DSC01114.jpg

600 meters, 5 shot group, could have been better, but it was windy.

IMAG0338.jpg

The gun :)

DSC00950.jpg

I have not used N570 and I am not familar with it. But if it will get me close to 3000 fps from my 338 LM using a 300 gr bullet I will look into it.
I agree, if I run across some I might have to give it a go. Never seen any on the shelf.
RL 25 I have, but choose not to use it for a rifle I shoot to such extreme distances in a wide variety of ambient temperatures.
I use R25 in my 7mm RemMag. I have never had a problem with velocity swings due to temp variations. It is a little on the slow side with 162 SST's but gave great accuracy.
I have owned many chrono's. and still own 3. The last one I bought was an Oehler 35. I have owned plenty that have really lied to me. The Oehler with a proof channel seems to be pretty good about telling the truth and spotting errorus readings.
I have a access to three chrony's. A buddy's Oehler, I have an issued Oehler and my personal CED Millennium 2. I have read too many times about people not trusting the numbers. After lining a good one up with possibly the best commercial one made I trust them together when they are spitting out the same numbers.
What velocity do you see with your 90 gr load of H-1000 and a 300 SMK? I have ran that load before several times and have accurate data.
That's the bad thing about H1000, every different lot I get the velocity can change up to 100fps. It varies from 2750 to 2850, so every time I buy more I have to chrono it and recheck drops. The good thing is that I haven't seen big differences in ES or group sizes. So I just let it be. With a slower lot I've tried bumping up a grain or so and get pressure signs, larger ES and groups.
Like I said, I let it be.

So who is going to try N570 so I don't have to. I'm waiting for Reloader 33 to hit the shelves. I don't see any reason that Alliant would be the only powder company to make a special coating capable of giving the 338 LM an extra 150 fps. I'm not a Powder expert but I think they are both made at the same facility using the same methods or something that could be close. ( could be but wouldn't take it to the bank) I am still very skeptical about a sane load getting that close to 3,000 fps.

I kind of lost track of who is having the loose primer pocket problems. The only time I have ever had any problems is when experimenting around with different primer manufacturers They don't all seem to be the same diameter and the larger ones will scrape out the hole too large for other primers. If they are stretching to a larger diameter I would consider that to be clear and 100% irrevocable evidence of way to high of pressure. ( For some I would even suggest that they take it a little easier with the pocket scraper but do not feel that it applies to any posts that are on this thread)

So who is going to try N570 so I don't have to. I'm waiting for Reloader 33 to hit the shelves.

I am still very skeptical about a sane load getting that close to 3,000 fps.

Ken, let me know how they both work. :D And do me a favor and stick a few rounds in the freezer over night to test against the room temp rounds as well. Velocity is nice for obvious rasons, but I have seen first hand huge velocity swings in the R powders. Over 1 moa at 1000. I am happy with my H-1000 at this time. Plus I have 40 lbs of the same lot.

Jeff

Nice Rifle Yrcan and good photography too. I enjoy seeing photos of what is actually happening instead of padded up I accidentally shot this group back in 92. On your 600 Meter photo we all know what gusty wind can do to a Horizontal string. Without a reference to size ( even a Bic lighter) the group could be seen as anything from a fantastic WOW!! all the way to it sure is nice I don't have that problem!

a less honest man would have called that 600m group a 10 shot group with 5 going thru the big hole in the middle of your plate:)

Went to the shooting range today, had with me 10 rounds of Norma brass, 90 grs Vith N570 behind a 300 grs SMK.
Average was 2864 fps, ES was 23 fps. I have not had time to check my brass after this first shooting, but it looked normal.

Precision was very nice, but I want to go down to 89 grs, and see if it gets better.
As long as I'm above 2788 fps (850 m/sek), I'm a happy boy :)

5 shot group @ 100 meters.

056.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts