To go Improved or not on 338 Lapua

Bravo, the thing about lapua brass is that it is very overbuilt. You can max out the loads and still get a few extra reloads per case over standard loads in, say, the remmy brass. Now I am not saying that the .338 lap is the best thing out there. It isn't, the edge is a phenomenal cartridge. Shawn Carlock has proved this over and over as many of the rest of those who can stretch it out. But with the lap I have seen guys getting as many as 15 reloads out of one case (obviously not over maxed loads at all). But anyway, who doesn't want more????? That's why I am fighting those little voices in my head that are telling me to send my barrel to Kirby..........

Wow, 15 firings out of each case...ok ya got me on that one. I don't know the particulars but it sounds like it's loaded down. If i wanted a .338 Win id get a .338 Win. I don't anneal and usually after 5 toss them into a box. Good thing because I can use them with the new barrel I have ordered.
I was also under the impression that improving a cartridge can extend brass life if not ran too hard. Anybody confirm that for me?

Well like I said the fellas getting that much life out of there Lapua brass aren't working them too hard, and they anneal religiously. I have heard of expecting 10 loadings before worrying about the integrity. So I base my price per load off of that generally. Again that doesn't include those loads that are maxed out and showing too much pressure.
Now about improving the case and getting better life..... my (and only my opinion) logic tells me that stretching the brass out to a new dimension would actually decrease it's usable life. By how much....... well I don't know. I asked Kirby that as well and with a moderate load recipe I would imagine it would not affect it by more than 1 or 2 loadings. I digress.

Wow, 15 firings out of each case...ok ya got me on that one. I don't know the particulars but it sounds like it's loaded down. If i wanted a .338 Win id get a .338 Win.

I have kept track of mine in a log book. When I had the std .338 LM built I bought 2 boxes of Lapua brass (200) The loads have always been 91.5 or 92.5 gr of H-1000, the majority fired were 92.5 not a light load by far. Every shot being 300 gr bullets @ 2795 ~ 2805 fps. I have never opened the second box of brass as the first 100 are doing fine. Most of them have been fired 14 times and some will be loaded for their 15th time soon. I do anneal, and use bushing dies to only size what is needed. The primer pockets are all still tight and very consistant. I use a hand primer tool and every primer in all 100 feel the same going in. I still have the 2nd box of 100 cases, guess I will use them for the next barrel, but this barrel still shoots as good as it did new (1/2 moa to well past 1000)

I wanted to post this as I feel it is solid data of my own and some might be interested.

Jeff

Speaking of an AE would anyone be will to sell me an unloaded (dummy) round seated to 3.745" with a 300 grainer???? I wouldn't mind having one on hand to check feed and..... well bottom line push me over the brink. I shoot mainly the bergers but any of them would do.

I have kept track of mine in a log book. When I had the std .338 LM built I bought 2 boxes of Lapua brass (200) The loads have always been 91.5 or 92.5 gr of H-1000, the majority fired were 92.5 not a light load by far. Every shot being 300 gr bullets @ 2795 ~ 2805 fps. I have never opened the second box of brass as the first 100 are doing fine. Most of them have been fired 14 times and some will be loaded for their 15th time soon. I do anneal, and use bushing dies to only size what is needed. The primer pockets are all still tight and very consistant. I use a hand primer tool and every primer in all 100 feel the same going in. I still have the 2nd box of 100 cases, guess I will use them for the next barrel, but this barrel still shoots as good as it did new (1/2 moa to well past 1000)

I wanted to post this as I feel it is solid data of my own and some might be interested.

Jeff

I do find this interesting. I'm sure that the annealing and minimal sizing help extend the life, but as far as I know would have nothing to do with the primer pockets remaining tight. That brass must be some good stuff. Especially since your load seems pretty standard to what others use (close to max) and around what other Edge users get with same performance.
I still have the question about improving a cartridge and brass life. I thought I read somewhere that if you take the taper away and sharpen the shoulder that the forward flow of brass is lessened (less case stretching). I'm sure neck or minimal sizing helps that as well.
I think I need to get into annealing as well considering my brass probably gets work hardened by necking up before I even load the first round.

Wait for Reloader 33 if it ever actually hits the market ( I have little faith in ATK for the Sportsman) They say May or so but they are highly proned to neglecting us in favor of Large contracts as evidenced by the Federal Match Primer " We don't care about you any more B.S."

I do find this interesting. I'm sure that the annealing and minimal sizing help extend the life, but as far as I know would have nothing to do with the primer pockets remaining tight. That brass must be some good stuff. Especially since your load seems pretty standard to what others use (close to max) and around what other Edge users get with same performance.

Correct, the annealing has nothing to do with primer pockets. But with all of the 338's I have been around (338-378, 338 RUM and 338 Edges) the primer pockets failed long before the necks. So this is why I included that the pockets were still tight and consistant after 14 firings. I have tossed a lot of brass after just 2 or 3 firings from loose pockets. But this is not the case with 338 Lapua brass.

Jeff

Last edited:
Well now you guys have me scheming, I might have an optortunity to purchase a 700 police in .338 Lapua at a GREAT price. Wonder if I could get it rechambered for an AI or .338 AX? I have the Edge and get solid 1/4 MOA groups at 100 with 300SMK. And love it at LR, but keep wanting more power. A .338 AM is my dream rifle, but that doesn't seem feasible. Maybe if this contractor job pans out, but I'm not holding my breath on that! :D

I bought myself a Rem 700 Police in 338 Lapua last year. Removed the original barrel, and inserted a LW barrel, 32" long and 1.1" thick.

I must be real lucky, cause with 92 grs of Vith N570 powder behind a 300 grs Berger, I push it out at 2980 fps. And that is not a max load. My cases has been fired 10 times now, and some of them has actually separated. But I suspect that those are the cases I used for testing Norma MRP powder, and pressure built up a bit then.

So it seems, that I get the same velocity with my standard 338 Lapua, as some would get with the Imp version? Or??

I love this caliber, it makes longrange shooting easy, compared to my 300 win mag, and I have been playing at 1640 yards with it, but plan on going further during this spring.

OK now I am curious. I have never seen 300gr. anything fly out the barrel of a standard 338 LM at 2980 fps. The 32" Barrel length does not add up to that for me either 250's yes, 300's no

OK now I am curious. I have never seen 300gr. anything fly out the barrel of a standard 338 LM at 2980 fps. The 32" Barrel length does not add up to that for me either 250's yes, 300's no

That is my experience too, even with a 30" tube and a hot load 2850 would be average. Unless this is at very high altitude or the chrongraph is fibbing a bit.

Jeff

But with all of the 338's I have been around (338-378, 338 RUM and 338 Edges) the primer pockets failed long before the necks. I have tossed a lot of brass after just 2 or 3 firings from loose pockets.
Jeff
Isn't there a tool out there that corrects loose primer pockets? If you had this and annealed would it be worth the effort?

I bought myself a Rem 700 Police in 338 Lapua last year. Removed the original barrel, and inserted a LW barrel, 32" long and 1.1" thick.

I must be real lucky, cause with 92 grs of Vith N570 powder behind a 300 grs Berger, I push it out at 2980 fps. And that is not a max load. My cases has been fired 10 times now, and some of them has actually separated. But I suspect that those are the cases I used for testing Norma MRP powder, and pressure built up a bit then.

That is my experience too, even with a 30" tube and a hot load 2850 would be average. Unless this is at very high altitude or the chrongraph is fibbing a bit.
Jeff

Just asking, has anybody used this powder/bullet combo? I don't know anybody that has. From what I can tell the Lapua and Edge run about neck to neck with the same loads. With a max load of R25 under a 300 SMK I can get darn near that with a 300SMK. The ES is higher then what I would consider acceptable and accuracy 1 moa plus, so I stick with my 90gr H1000 load.
If you tell me this powder shouldn't normaly get these velocities without over pressure then I'll take it as that.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.