Any rumors of a 7 PRC?

are you doing full break in then nitride or on the chambered barrel or just the blank?
you don't want to nitride a blank. Makes it too hard on tooling.
Personally, I'd recommend doing so after "breaking in" since some barrels shoot better after 50-150 rounds down the pipe. But, if it's a shouldered barrel, you'll have to head space again, just as you would on a Savage/Remage type.
Plasma nitriding doesn't change the part dimensionally at all, and it is done at lower temperature (~100°C less) than Nitride Salt Bath. I am concerned about potential warpage at those temperatures.

Last edited:
Sooo. Just to revive this again- I've been smelling smoke that hornady has been working on this recently and originally planned to release it this year but covid may have put a damper on it. But where there is smoke I'm sure there's some fire. Any news updates from anyone else?

Are doing this off the 300 case or 6.5 case? In my opinion the 6.5 case is too small, it'd get roughly same performance as a 284win, and we all know that things not popular. The 7 saum holds 73-74gr powder with a long neck, hold advantages in every characteristic but the rebated rim. A 92gr 7mm based off the long prc would interest me much more. 7 saum and 284 win cover that 69-74gr case area, no reason to go in there in my opinion.

Are doing this off the 300 case or 6.5 case? In my opinion the 6.5 case is too small, it'd get roughly same performance as a 284win, and we all know that things not popular. The 7 saum holds 73-74gr powder with a long neck, hold advantages in every characteristic but the rebated rim. A 92gr 7mm based off the long prc would interest me much more. 7 saum and 284 win cover that 69-74gr case area, no reason to go in there in my opinion.
These guys did with the 6.5prc brass and from what I've seen it's not too bad at all, very efficient round and accurate!

If it's a re-necked of either existing PRC case, it wouldn't interest me. Something in between maybe. It'd also have to have correct chamber/sizing die tolerance.

Right now the Sherman MAX or
Sherman MEGA is what id Opt for.

Last edited:
If it's a re-necked of either existing PRC case, it wouldn't interest me. Something in between maybe. It'd also have to have correct chamber/sizing die tolerance.
Right now the Sherman MEGA is what id
Opt for.
Yeah the whole reamer sizing issue that has made the click issue come about has a lot of negative publicity going on for the prc! I love my 6.5prc but it needs the chamber fixed before I move on to new brass. It's not a die problem and a brass problem, mostly chamber but if a person didn't push the limits I'd be fine but that's the fun of reloading😉!

Yeah the whole reamer sizing issue that has made the click issue come about has a lot of negative publicity going on for the prc! I love my 6.5prc but it needs the chamber fixed before I move on to new brass. It's not a die problem and a brass problem, mostly chamber but if a person didn't push the limits I'd be fine but that's the fun of reloading😉!
The number of people who're actually worried about the "clicker" issue is much smaller than the internet would lead you to believe.

The number of people who're actually worried about the "clicker" issue is much smaller than the internet would lead you to believe.
I'm sure but it's something that sucks and you really don't know if your hitting pressure or not. Which there a positive to not getting to pressure but........

There's an easy fix for that
6.5 saum 😃

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.