Any reason to thread a 6.5 PRC?

I wish manufacturers would post approximate weights at every finished length from at least the 20" mark.
I used Pac-nor's barrel weight calculator to determine the approximate weight.

1701954217433.png

https://pac-nor.com/barrel-weight-calculator/

Just a few other barrel-weight calculator.

https://mcgowenbarrel.com/barrel-weight-estimator/

https://thebarreloutlet.com/barrel-weight-calculator/

https://riflebarrels.com/computer-software/

Last edited:
If the rifle is for you, you should go with what you want. It seems you will have no use for threading, either for a silencer or muzzle brake. A 6.5 PRC with that barrel will not kick a whole bunch. For simplicity, clean looks, saving a few bucks, you can go without the threads.

Besides resale value, any reason to consider threading the barrel?
For a buyer who utilizes a muzzle device, it's value-added.
I know a blended thread protector will solve my dilemma, but I haven't had one yet that did not shoot loose.
I have not experienced thread protectors coming loose yet. Have you considered using Loctite 220 (red) or equivalent designed for the locking and sealing threaded fasteners, which require normal disassembly with standard hand tools.

I am not really interested in a suppressor for this rifle, no one will shoot this rife besides me and I am considering a plain 26" barrel with a recessed crown. I already wear custom hearing aids, so hearing isn't a concern for me, I have already destroyed the majority of it.

I know a blended thread protector will solve my dilemma, but I haven't had one yet that did not shoot loose.

Barrel is a #3 Bartlein and in order to get a 5/8-24 thread, shouldn't it be at least a .700"/.725" diameter finished for a proper shoulder?
I can emphasize with the hearing lost. I've lost a great deal of my hearing from working artillery ranges/ M1 Abrams ranges. I don't need hearing aids yet but I will. So anything you can do to preserve what hearing you have left is money well spent imho.

I'm shooting a 6.5-06 moving 140s at 2990 and 147s at 2930 so in that regard recoil should be similar. But, my rig weighs 14 pounds. Recoil is very light. I have no need for a brake or suppressor and generally get all my barrels unthreaded including my ARs. I don't want the extra length of a suppressor or noise and muzzle blast of a brake.
I do have a couple AR barrels that are threaded. I use thread protectors with blue loctite and have never had an issue but I don't run my barrels hot.

I am not really interested in a suppressor for this rifle, no one will shoot this rife besides me and I am considering a plain 26" barrel with a recessed crown. I already wear custom hearing aids, so hearing isn't a concern for me, I have already destroyed the majority of it.

Barrel is a #3 Bartlein and in order to get a 5/8-24 thread, shouldn't it be at least a .700"/.725" diameter finished for a proper shoulder?
if you have trouble with things coming loose use vibri tite vc3 it is better than lock it keeps threads from coming loose and doesn't need heat to unscrew.

We put a Hellfire Match brake on my sons 6.5 PRC. Comes with a self timing adapter. Put it on or take it off. The match is really supposed to control muzzle raise. Videoing with a thermal the brake made a monstrous difference in the scope staying relatively still after the shot to get footage of coyotes. It is a factory Savage desert tactical factory threaded. Not a real heavy barrel but not skinny either. Might see if you could compare your end diameter to the Savage Desert Tactical end diameter.

I can emphasize with the hearing lost. I've lost a great deal of my hearing from working artillery ranges/ M1 Abrams ranges. I don't need hearing aids yet but I will. So anything you can do to preserve what hearing you have left is money well spent imho.
Me too! I worked on flightline aircraft generation for 10 years, exposed to prolonged noise >140dBs, esp. during surges. I did follow the recommended hearing protection, though. At the time, we were told to use foamies and headsets. Many of my friends did not wear the proper hearing protection and faced the consequences. Transitioning from F-4s to A-10s was a significant difference (much quieter), and when I got out of the flightline, my hearing improved significantly to my enlistment hearing test numbers. I also use PPEs (hearing, eye, gloves, steel-toed boots, etc.) when operating household tools and equipment (mower, snow blower, etc.) that generate high noise levels.

noise-levels.png

Me too! I worked on flightline aircraft generation for 10 years, exposed to prolonged noise >140dBs, esp. during surges. I did follow the recommended hearing protection, though. At the time, we were told to use foamies and headsets. Many of my friends did not wear the proper hearing protection and faced the consequences. Transitioning from F-4s to A-10s was a significant difference (much quieter), and when I got out of the flightline, my hearing improved significantly to my enlistment hearing test numbers. I also use PPEs (hearing, eye, gloves, steel-toed boots, etc.) when operating household tools and equipment (mower, snow blower, etc.) that generate high noise levels.

View attachment 518570
Add another to your list. Farm machinery, track hoes and bulldozers, plus a lover of the 44 magnum years ago and being a sporting clays instructor. I'm now a certified closed caption guy and do everything I can to preserve what little I have left. Worked around helicopter's for a while too. Those things will deafen you.

Easy money to thread and not use then to have to thread later or want to use it. I run cans on everything but a 26" prc for me would get a brake regardless. It's not about being recoil sensitive, it's about watching that bullet path or seeing impact for long range hunting. It is very easy to bounced off target shooting positional and not seeing the impact to know what your next move is.

View attachment 518570
We were given orange flange plugs, pretty useless. No headsets other than coms for tank commanders/ drivers.

Easy money to thread and not use then to have to thread later or want to use it. I run cans on everything but a 26" prc for me would get a brake regardless. It's not about being recoil sensitive, it's about watching that bullet path or seeing impact for long range hunting. It is very easy to bounced off target shooting positional and not seeing the impact to know what your next move is.
Agreed! An effective muzzle brake serves two purposes: reduced felt recoil and reduced muzzle rise. The latter is often not realized. Being able to see the impact on target is priceless.

We were given orange flange plugs, pretty useless. No headsets other than coms for tank commanders/ drivers.
Yep, I heard a few of those real-world experiences. Before joining the military, one of my supervisors was in artillery during Nam, and he is deaf and uses hearing aids. He said they get lucky if they have any foamies or equivalent. Their fingers are their primary protection.

For a buyer who utilizes a muzzle device, it's value-added.

I have not experienced thread protectors coming loose yet. Have you considered using Loctite 220 (red) or equivalent designed for the locking and sealing threaded fasteners, which require normal disassembly with standard hand tools.
No thread locker, probably has to do with the fact I just hand tighten these blended protectors because they are Cerakoted. I could use a set of soft jaw pliers to help. They generally just unseat off the shoulder, enough to see a gap but not really feel it. These are bigger bore rifles in fairly light packages, so I use a brake at the range to keep from beating myself up to bad. 160lbs in a 5' 10" package does not offer a lot of padding.
Oh, I am deaf, so I could care less about the blast of a short barrel. I just think the lines of a blended brake or crowned barrel looks cleaner.

IMG_2386.jpeg