Any reason to go with 6.5 creedmoor?

Mudrunner,

I recently won a 6.5 creedmore chambered barreled action from benchmark as you probably read on lro, my 260 ai barrel should be here next week.

I love the ackley's, but you can not really compair factory chambered rounds to a wildcat and say who is more popular or who will last longer.

Over all in my shoots i put on i have seen more and more guys go to the 6.5mm, i think we all can agree there is great things to be had with that. Now they say the 260 and the creedmoor are near twins, just some features differ a little. That one you can argue for a long time, but the creedmoor does have a huge following that is growing fast and there is a lot of support in that. The 260 over all is faster, yes, but that does not meen it is better. When i won the creedmoor guys told me i wont like it cause its slow, but everything else i have heard is easy to load for, no fire forming, light recoil, factory brass, rounds and rifles and much more.

I am making the 260 ai for a carrying weight deer, elk, coyote, or whatever gun at about 11 lbs or so. This will get a 140 out there a little faster, hit a little harder and help buck the wind a little better. But i would not go and shoot this at a tactical/sniper match like i won the creedmoor at. 200 rounds in one day with average shots at 425. The slower, verry accurate creedmoor would be the way to go.

The brass thing is near a wash for the 260/ creedmore, bullets are same, powders, primers etc, but you can buy manufactured for both, though i am not sure of match 260. I know you could shoot the 260 ammo in your 260 ai chamber, but them you have to reload.

Back to the main question, i say keep the 300, and shoot out your 308 or shoot it tell you get tierd of it and look for a little more and then re barrel it to the 6.5 in what ever cartridge you like, but i dont think you can go wrond re loading the 260 cartridge or the creedmore and get what you are looking for.

Well said guys. The Creedmoor and the 6.5x47 will find there niche which I think is the 0-700 or so range. For whitetail hunters the Creedmoor will do very well as it's rare to consider a shot over that range. For long range guys, I thin the 6.5x284 will remain king. The 26Nosler will appeal to some but I'd gander to think it needs heavier than 140 projectiles. 6.5 is impressive, even the 6.5x55 loaded at modern speeds is aa good choice, albeit a long action.

I just think it's a new trend and everyone has to be trendy... I will not take away from it that it IS a good caliber, but I do feel like it is bandwagon caliber, just like the .338 Lapua was. The only good development of the .338 Lapua that came about was a great case for wildcatting better calibers out of.
The pronghorn antelope and mule deer I've shot with my 6.5CM didn't think it was trendy. Some of you guys equate speed to greatness....a deer will be just as dead with a bullet traveling at 3000 fps as one @2850 fps. I personally believe that proper shot placement is more important than the need for speed.

The pronghorn antelope and mule deer I've shot with my 6.5CM didn't think it was trendy. Some of you guys equate speed to greatness....a deer will be just as dead with a bullet traveling at 3000 fps as one @2850 fps. I personally believe that proper shot placement is more important than the need for speed.
I didn't say it wasn't a good caliber...Re-read my post. I just said it was a bandwagon caliber. In other words, most people in today's society (generally those under 40) feel they have to be trendy and keep with the times to somehow retain their youth, and to remain "cool". Therefore, they do the same thing with gun calibers. It's new, therefore it's automatically better than everything else, simply because it's newer.

Also, are you really lecturing ME on speed and shot-placement??? I'm the one person on this forum who thinks the new ultra magnum calibers are pointless unless you constantly shoot over a mile...And I'm the one who constantly gets chastised for my comments about such.

Speed is fun, but I think shot placement, accuracy, and consistency is more important than velocity...For the record.

Hey man !
the only time ultra mags are pointless is when you load 'em up with round nose bullets !

Nothing wrong with cartridges that provide a healyhy dose of energy way out there, remember this is Long Range HUNTING not BR target shooting !

sure the slower ones can shoot far too, aim at the sun and send it, and when you do hit your target..
whats the point when your bullet bounces offa the bunny's butt ?

Hey man !
the only time ultra mags are pointless is when you load 'em up with round nose bullets !

Nothing wrong with cartridges that provide a healyhy dose of energy way out there, remember this is Long Range HUNTING not BR target shooting !

sure the slower ones can shoot far too, aim at the sun and send it, and when you do hit your target..
whats the point when your bullet bounces offa the bunny's butt ?
Hey bud, I'm not hating...Do what you do, and shoot what you choose. But we are all entitled to our own opinions.

I know everything has its place. Everyone always gets offended when someone says something about the massive oversize ultra-mags. If that's what you like shooting, go for it. But for me, the .300 Ackley and 7mm STW are as big as I'm gonna go.

I can't deny, that I do still have this deep-seeded desire to own one of your .375 Mjolnir rifles...And I really don't know why, because there is absolutely nothing around here that can't be killed by something I already own... :D

no hatin anywhere boss , was attempting humor but forgot I'm no good at it ...

don't need something alive to kill it, I go to the hills and kill rocks and spots on bigger rocks as far away as I can ,

Thinking of building me a 375/416 Barret Imp now, ran out of rocks but there is more further out !

Why not just build a .375 Barrett Improved 40*? That would be sick.

I just had to sketch it up... :D

375BarrettImproved40-DegreeShoulder_zps68376fcb.jpg

My first post kinda sums it up....the 6.5CM is accurate,easy on your shoulder, and easy on your barrel. Long range is a relative term. Everyone has their own opinion of what it is. My shooting shoulder has been surgically repaired once and I'm not looking forward to going through that again. The 6.5 CM is right for me. That's my story and I sticking with it.

Well,

• the original poster left the thread long ago.
  • it turned into a shouting match
  • so off topic it is now a giggle fest

Well you could go the route I did.

Buy or build more rifles than you could possibly need. Umm... Need, need has nothing to do with it.

If you can't justify keeping the ones you have and getting the 6.5 Creedmoor, keep working on your rationalization technique :D.

I went 260, my buddy went 6.5CM. Ballistically, not much difference.

What he got that I didn't, magazine load of long/high BC bullets but that is the point of the design change from 260 to 6.5CM.

There are 3 rounds I shoot the **** out of. A 308, 260. & 6.5Creedmoor. All are great choices. The 2 6.5s are ballistically equal. Just all depends on the ammo status. I get just as good results with either. I can buy cm ammo at good price. While my efr rails are being put on my 6.5s I took 3rd at the tiger valley sniper match getting g first found hits at 1k in 25 mph winds. My team mate took 5th with his 308. First 2 spots had 6.5&6mm Don't let a 308 scare you. You just have to master it more. I will never be without a 308. I shot 2k rounds last year from a 6.5 cm. It is my new "main" gun. Love em all. Whatever yiy have, just learn it. You will be fine with any if you know it like the back of your hand. Good luck