Any LR reload info for Wby 300 mag?

Thanks Slee. Sounds like you have a really good load also! I will have to order some Barnes bullets and give it a try. I have Accubonds coming tomorrow which I will run through my load testing process. More to come!

No problem,

And good luck with the Accubonds. I wanted to use them as my hunting bullet, but after a few hundred rounds of testing I could not find a load that was less then 2moa.

Please post your results. Always interesting to see how other guys make out.

Thanks for the response Jim. I have 180 grain accubonds coming tomorrow but will work with 7828 SSC and H4831 for the time being as I don't have any H1000 on hand. I will post my results as I get them.

I just finished up a mk 5 in 300wby mag,this turned into one of the most accurate rifles I have ever worked on. Im using the new 197 botw vld and 86 grains of h1000 im at work right now so I dont remember the complete reciepe but if you are interested, I will get the info posted when I get home. I do know this thing will stack bullets at 480 yards and shoot sub moa at 1000! Jay

ok here is the load data: 197 BOTW VLD, norma brass, 86.1 gns of H1000, fed 215 primer COAL of 3.705. it has a crono'd velocity of 3094 with an ES of 13 and an SD of 6. this load shot extremely well out . Jay

Last edited:
thanks Jay. Couple questions, I understand that new WBY's have a 1 to 10" twist and mine which is around 15 years old has a 1 to 12" twist with 26" barrel.
Tell me what your twist rate is? I am guessing it's the faster rate as you shoot the 190 with great accuracy.
I found the following information which I will take the liberty of pasting as it may help others....

The correct rifling twist rate for a particular bullet can also be calculated by using a formula originated by Sir Alfred Greenhill during the late 1800s. Simply divide a constant of 150 by the length of the bullet (in calibers) and then multiply by the diameter of the bullet (in inches).

For example, using the Roberts again, the Speer 120-grain spitzer has a diameter of .257 inch and a length of 1.125 inches. Dividing that bullet's length by its diameter gives us 4.38. Divide 150 by 4.38 and multiply the result by .257 and you arrive at a rifling twist rate of 8.80 inches. Rounding off to the next highest number gives us a twist rate of 1:9 inches which, as I said before, is correct for the .257 Roberts when it is loaded with a 120-grain spitzer.

So using the above calculations I am going to need a bullet under 170 grains. By my calculations 180 E-tip requires a 1 to 10" twist. A 180 Accubond requires a 1 to 10" twist also. I happen to have a 165 grain Game King (just using as an example) that calculates out to a 1 to 12" twist.

Possibly this is why I am seeing a difference from the kind posters in bullet weights.
Any thoughts on my post?

My 300 is a cheapy. Its a wby vaguard fitted with a grean grey laminate stock that i floated and bedded. Im kind of stuck on a load. I shoot 180tsx bullets and 7828 in it. Ive tried about every bullet powder combo imaginable in it and all of them went from 1.5 to 2 inch. I even lapped the gun and bought a timney trigger. For some reason though it just loves those tsx bullets. It will shoot 5 of them into just under 3/4s of an inch at a 100 and ive shot groups just over an inch at 300 with them. thing is i about detest tsx bullets. Ive had just to many hours spent in the woods recovering deer hit with tsx bullets. I guess though that with something like a 300wby they still out to dump about anything hit with them. About a month ago i cleaned out every tsx bullet i had on the shelf and gave them to a buddy. Only ones i had to keep were the 180 .30s for this gun

Ddelozie, the rifle I was refering to has a 1-10 twist I had it rebarrled by botw with one of there wilson match grade barrels in 26" with a break. the customer I was working on the rifle for has a bad habit of laying his rifles against his truck and then forgetting about them, then, well you guessed it he drives off and runs his rifle over.lol this mk5 has been run over twice and the barrel was a little, shall we say .... bent!lightbulb

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.