Another rifle build brain storm.

Just for fun discussion and brain storming.

I just got gifted an old Savage 110 in 270 win. It was a village rifle up here in Alaska and its beat to death, I doubt the barrel is even straight on it. But hey! Might be a free action. I am going to have a smith here tear it down and inspect it to see if its a good donor. Either way if the project gets done it will continue to get beat to death.

This is my first self built, and first "wildcat". I have hand loaded about 6 or 7 years now. I am considering two directions to go with the action.

First idea is 35 whelen, or similar. This would be a tight country bear and moose thumper, low power optic, shortish barrel. Set up for 225-250 grain barnes bullets. Seems like an easy option. My main issue with this option is deciding barrel length, I want it short but also optimized.

The other idea is a little more complicated, might not even be realistic. I basically have a two rifle problem with predator hunting right now, and I am trying to select a cartridge that solves it. Fox and lynx are pretty squishy, and wolves are not. Fox, lynx, wolverine, and wolf hides are still valuable if they are in good shape. I am far enough north in Alaska that the trees get real sparse, so lots of open country and very deep snow so getting closer isn't usually a realistic option.

Basically thinking this will be a spicy and overly complicated 243 win or 22-250 just because. An 800-1000 yard capable predator rifle like a 6.5-06 or 6mm-06. A 200 yard shot would be pretty close in the country I am talking about. I would like a shorter barrel, 20-22 inch or so. Skiing and snowshoeing with a 26 incher is awful. I have other longer options already. I currently use 204 for predators, but I don't target wolf. I have never been inside of about 400 yards of a wolf and the 204 is out of gas at that point. I have not decided on the cartridge and not sure what bullet weight to go with.

Any discussion or advice would be helpful, thanks.
25-06ai with 22" for the reach. Then use Barnes 100gr TSX for minimal hide disruption.

Buy a new gun! Hang that one on a mantle or from a tree.....the action is as old as the gun and been thru the same abuse. Buy a 257...problem solved and $$$$ saved! For where you live I'd suggest Synthetic Weatherby Vanguard...never look back!

Since you mentioned a 243 and a 22-250...........a 243 with 105's, 108's or 115's would probably be fine. Right now I'm waiting on a reamer for a 22x6mm Remington for a 8 twist barrel to shoot 80's. Or for more of a standard cartridge, a fast twist 220 Swift for heavy bullets.

Since you reload, perhaps you make it a "two bullet" instead of a "two rifle" problem. 6.5-284 or 6.5-06. Not too expensive to change out the bolt face for a 6.5 PRC also.

Load a good long range killer like the 143 ELD-X or 156 Berger for the wolves, and load a whimpy FMJ or similar for the smaller fur species?

Googled around a bit, and this might be a real winner for fur, particularly if you keep it on the slow side...

Few things I regret more than throwing money in a savage for an alaska stubby. Very familiar with you conundrum of maximum firepower in the smallest package.

Some years ago I ended up with a stainless savage barreled action in 7 mag for near free. It had this hideous wood stock on it, some fellow gave me 25$ shy of what I paid for the rifle for just the stock. Sold the 7 mag barrel and was -25 into a stainless action with accutrigger. Had exactly the same though as you, only 375 ruger vs a 6x284 long action. Alaska makes for funny rifles, I've crawled through alders so thick you can't hardly move only to have a shot on a critter 500 yards across a berry flat. Animals are either shot under 75 yards or over 450. Ended up going 375 ruger, and was into it for 220 for a barrel(man those were the days, stainless savage barrels from er shaw for pennies). Set it in a plastic takeoff stock that was given to me and I was rolling for pennies on the dollar.

Rifle flat out shot, superb extreme spread and groups that blew my mind. As bear protection it got shot a lot, like several hundred rounds a year was not uncommon. Eventually the accutrigger died as the so often can, and was replaced with a suitable non accutrigger. As luck would have it a McMillan seconds stock in letter fir a long action blind mag turned up, so it got bought. The rifle was always a bit to long and collected Alders so was cut and fluted to save weight. It doesn't get shot but 50 rounds a year now just to keep the rust off, mainly because it's falling apart. The bolt has decided it wants to sporadically shed parts to the point the bolt handle gets black locktite annually to stay put. My opinion is these budget rifles aren't designed for truly hard use.

Here I the rub, if it was a 700 base gun that started to dissolve around 1000 rounds, I'd buy a custom action. Drop the barrel, stock, trigger, mag box and optics mount onto a custom action and keep rocking in a free world. But sadly it's a savage, and nobody makes custom savage actions.

Second point is the the action itself is long by design, all things equal a savage rifle will be longer than an equivalent 700 footprint action. My perfect number is 40.5 inches oal, my long action 700 has a barrel a little over an inch longer barrel with the same oal.

If I did it over again I'd go with some fun barrel burner in a short barrel, maybe a 20 inch 26 nosler launching 100s or similar. And I would not have put a nice trigger and McMillan on it.

I'd recommend the .223 or .243 with fast twist barrels using 70-90gn bullets for varmints. For wolf and cats use bonded bullets, or solids. For large game at longer ranges use .338 or .350's with fast-twist barrels and heavy bonded bullets, or solids. Good luck!

I have 2 take off barrels that were good barrels one in 270 and one in 30/06 that I would let you have for 10.00 either plus shipping. They came off doner actions. No sights. Have surgery on the 10th so will be down for up to 6 months. Let me know