.22 long rifle brain teaser

Long range 22 is goofy fun... depending on the ammo things fall apart somewhere around 400-450 yards. Most of the ammo I tried was temp sensitive enough that It would go from minute of pumpkin at 350 to minute of car hood around 400. If you are quick you can limit the vertical stringing with a hot chamber. I was able to dial it with a cheap bushnell 1-4 power.

long range 9mm is also a crowd pleaser.

long range 9mm is also a crowd pleaser.
Lol, another guy that has to find out. I slapped an Atlas and a Leupold 1-6 on my JP GMR 15 and tested 9mm ammo at 300 yards. What a circus. I did not waste self defense HP ammo, but 15 yr old Winchester white box shot 3-4 feet. The rest was 20ft groups. I'd bet money todays white box not nearly as good.
S&B had some great ES & SD numbers though, I did not shoot that at 300.

This is my verified drop with a 75 yard zero and my altitude. From Ballistic.

6D33E996-06B5-44C2-AC9A-97157C105752.jpeg

Buzzsaw, sorry to hijack your thread, but the forum wouldn't let my post a pm to Greyfox. Perhaps both yours and his replys and experiences will prove helpful to someone else also.

So: Greyfox:
RE:your reply to Buzzsaw & .22LR scope come ups. I have a Savage TR w/ original stock. Not a lot of luck gettin a .5 MOA load. THINK the stock may be the culprit. And, 10 round mags fail to feed at about the 8th or 9th round. Any insight you might have about these 2 issues would be greatly appreciated. I can tell by the lengths to which you've gone so far, that you know more than the average bear! Take care and thanks for any advice.

Buzzsaw, sorry to hijack your thread, but the forum wouldn't let my post a pm to Greyfox. Perhaps both yours and his replys and experiences will prove helpful to someone else also.

So: Greyfox:
RE:your reply to Buzzsaw & .22LR scope come ups. I have a Savage TR w/ original stock. Not a lot of luck gettin a .5 MOA load. THINK the stock may be the culprit. And, 10 round mags fail to feed at about the 8th or 9th round. Any insight you might have about these 2 issues would be greatly appreciated. I can tell by the lengths to which you've gone so far, that you know more than the average bear! Take care and thanks for any advice.
It took some testing of different brands of ammo to find the best performers. I have seen not only my TR, but two or three others shoot sub.5MOA with Federal GM HS Match. The torque of the action screws can not only effect accuracy, but feeding as well. Torque settings should be relatively light at 25 in/pounds or less. I'd also the extractor/ejector/firing pin parts for residue. The rifle out of the box (with factory stock) should deliver good accuracy. The other aspect I would check is to make sure your scope mount screws to the receiver are not bottoming out before the bases are fully snugged down. S bit of filing of the mounting screws can take care of this if this is the case.
Hope this helps

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts